Playoff lines?

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Rust played with Geno and that line was when Hagelin and Rust took off. They scored at close to a point a game before Rust got hurt. If someone looks it up I think they can see the points of Malkin with Hagelin and Rust but from what I remember they kicked butt. I remember when Hornqvist came back and Sullivan put him with Malkin I was thinking that was a mistake. Malkin cooled off pretty quickly after that change.

What I like about Hornqvist and Hagelin is they are good puck retrievers. They get the puck back with speed on the forecheck or grinding it out. Plus, they don't really want to shoot. Or should shoot. So they work well with Malkin. Just get the puck to Malkin and then he draws the eyes of everyone and he can shoot or use some skill and feed for a tap in goal

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
ZAR - Crosby - Sprong?
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Sheahan - Kessel
Sheary - Brassard - Rust

If you don't want Sprong you can go with Simon but then that's really a disservice to Sid. Then you think give him Rust and then my 4th line becomes obsolete. Rust makes the 4th line work. Sprong gives me a scoring threat to maximize the vision and passing of Sid. Simon isn't really gonna maximize that talent.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Rust played with Geno and that line was when Hagelin and Rust took off. They scored at close to a point a game before Rust got hurt. If someone looks it up I think they can see the points of Malkin with Hagelin and Rust but from what I remember they kicked butt. I remember when Hornqvist came back and Sullivan put him with Malkin I was thinking that was a mistake. Malkin cooled off pretty quickly after that change.
sorry if it looked like I was bashing rust, I was not. rust is one of our more defensively gifted players. and because of that I think there are lines that need him more than geno's. when geno is in god mode he can play with anyone. the problem arises when he's not at his best and needs some help. and while I have no proof, it looks good on paper that he and sprong would be a good fit.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
What I like about Hornqvist and Hagelin is they are good puck retrievers. They get the puck back with speed on the forecheck or grinding it out. Plus, they don't really want to shoot. Or should shoot. So they work well with Malkin. Just get the puck to Malkin and then he draws the eyes of everyone and he can shoot or use some skill and feed for a tap in goal
this is another case of geno doing most of the heavy lifting....when he's not at his best there is no one that can pick it up to help......let me rephrase that....it forces honry& hags to not play to their strengths

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
81-87-72
62-71-17
59-19-43
46-15-12

I've noticed lately that Kessel and Hornqvist play about 3 to 4 shifts together each game most of the time after the Pens were short handed, usually with Malkin. But I love to see that duo with Sid the final 2 regular season games to see how it looks.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
After watching last nights game I was wondering if the Pens would be better having all 4 lines balanced. I was thinking something like this.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
Aston Reese-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheehan-Hornqvist

That last line worked well together but you could also switch Simon and Sheary and I think those lines would create mismatches for any team.

Like both of your ideas, as well as the one with ZAR up with Sid and Jake.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thing about sticking with Horny with Sheahan on a 4th line is

a) You can use that in defensive situations - I don't know if its going against the opposition's best, but since both Horny and Sheahan have done so in the past, its only a question of whether Sheary can do it - if yes, that can be your shut down line that is still a threat.

b) You can still give Horny and Sheary increased minutes with one of Sid/Geno. I thought being able to stick out the big two with any wing combo we iced was a useful thing last play-off.

The only major downside I see is whether its the best thing for Geno.

Incidentally, if we do go Sheary-Sheahan-Horny, I wouldn't be surprised if Brassard is put with Sid, Kessel kept with Geno (not advocating that bit btw) with the intention of an absolutely stacked top 9.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Incidentally, if we do go Sheary-Sheahan-Horny, I wouldn't be surprised if Brassard is put with Sid, Kessel kept with Geno (not advocating that bit btw) with the intention of an absolutely stacked top 9.
the whole reason we got him was to be able to roll all 4 lines. to do that he needs to play center.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
the whole reason we got him was to be able to roll all 4 lines. to do that he needs to play center.

Is that why they said they got him, or is that why you think they should have got him?

Because I don't recall them saying anything about rolling 4 lines. I do recall them repeatedly saying they're fine with a non-scoring 4th line because of how much the top 9 scores though.

Which is why I think they'd at least strongly consider putting Brassard up with Sid if the Sheahan line sticks. I think they're a lot more concerned about having a strong defensive 4th and a killer top 9 than rolling 4 lines.

I also distinctly recall them talking up how both Brassard and Sheahan can play wing... not saying it's the right move, per se, but if you think this isn't one the team wouldn't make, then either you're remembering something I'm not, or you're not listening to them.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Any lineup with Sprong in it, just isn't realistic.

I wish ZAR would get another crack at the top line:

ZAR- Crosby- Jake
Hags- Geno- Kessel
Rust- Brass- Horny
Sheary-Shea- Simon

But Kuhn being scratched isn't gonna happen so I can just keep my fantasy...

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think the team sees ZAR as playing RW, so given that caveat as well as the caveat that I don't think Sprong will get a chance to play (unfortunately), I'm going with the following lineup to start the PO game...I think it provides the balance Sully wants....

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
ZAR-Brass-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhn/Simon/Rowney

Sully will move players up and down and double shift depending on circumstances as everyone knows....

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
I don’t know but Hagelin should be Geno permanent LW and Guentzel should be Sid permanent LW.

Sheary nd Zar definitely shouldn’t be on Sid’sline at all.
If it was up to me Sprong would have been up here two months ago to build with Sid and Jake.to be playoffs ready. That’s not gonna happen. So forget that ish.

If Sheary is in the line up then Sheary-Brassard-Hornqvist . Brassard needs to be the man on his line and Kessel will not flourish with him . IMO. It’s evident.
Brassard can rotate with Sid and Jake as a wing to give Sheahan extra minutes here and there.
I know Brassard is center but Sheahan deserves more minutes because he earned it and shown he can help the Penguins.
I like Kessel with Geno and Hags . That will work as long as it’s consistent if not keep HGH.

Rust can work anywhere. I don’t have no problem with Rust on Sid’s line. He just needs to stay healthy, he needs to understand that Sid like the puck on his stick, he can’t do to much and he happens to read correct on what Jake and Sid are doing on the ice. He just needs to do more time and space with speed against defenders to let Sid do his thing. I have faith they will be great . RW for Sid is between Rust ,Simon and Hornqvist. Simon can be a great fit for Sid because he’s forechecks and knows when to get the puck to Sid among other things. He has speed to keep up with Sid not off charts like Hags but it good enough plus efficient.
Simon happens to make sure no dumb a@@ penalties.
I don’t mind Jake-Sid-Simon, Jake-Sid-Rust and Jake-Sid-Hornqvist as long as it’s effective with dominance and consistency for Jake and Sid. Jake and Sid are doing well. They just need great RW and to keep shooting the puck.
Jake Shouldn’t be on third line. He isn’t a third liner . He earned his rights to be with Sid. Jake-Kessel were ok together but they were bad defensively and Kessel points were from the power play like it’s now with Brassard.

I don’t have no problem with Kuhnhackl in the line up. He try to Create offense and use his body. Idk . I would keep Simon in the lineup over Zar . Fourth line needs to better to roll all lines but I would put together cohesive dominanting top 3 lines against opponents for the playoffs. No line shuffling unless injuries.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t know but Hagelin should be Geno permanent LW and Guentzel should be Sid permanent LW.

If it was up to me Sprong would have been up here two months ago to build with Sid and Jake.to be playoffs ready. That’s not gonna happen. So forget that ish.

I agree with the remainder of your post but I take issue with these 2 sentences:
ZAR was producing with Sid earlier this year. I don't know how or why, but he was
And Jake can play either side with Sid

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.

If Sheary is in the line up then Sheary-Brassard-Hornqvist . Brassard needs to be the man on his line and Kessel will not flourish with him . IMO. It’s evident.
Brassard can rotate with Sid and Jake as a wing to give Sheahan extra minutes here and there.
I know Brassard is center but Sheahan deserves more minutes because he earned it and shown he can help the Penguins.
I like Kessel with Geno and Hags . That will work as long as it’s consistent if not keep HGH.

Rust can work anywhere. I don’t have no problem with Rust on Sid’s line. He just needs to stay healthy, he needs to understand that Sid like the puck on his stick, he can’t do to much and he happens to read correct on what Jake and Sid are doing on the ice. He just needs to do more time and space with speed against defenders to let Sid do his thing. I have faith they will be great . RW for Sid is between Rust ,Simon and Hornqvist. Simon can be a great fit for Sid because he’s forechecks and knows when to get the puck to Sid among other things. He has speed to keep up with Sid not off charts like Hags but it good enough plus efficient.
Simon happens to make sure no dumb a@@ penalties.
I don’t mind Jake-Sid-Simon, Jake-Sid-Rust and Jake-Sid-Hornqvist as long as it’s effective with dominance and consistency for Jake and Sid. Jake and Sid are doing well. They just need great RW and to keep shooting the puck.
Jake Shouldn’t be on third line. He isn’t a third liner . He earned his rights to be with Sid. Jake-Kessel were ok together but they were bad defensively and Kessel points were from the power play like it’s now with Brassard.

I don’t have no problem with Kuhnhackl in the line up. He try to Create offense and use his body. Idk . I would keep Simon in the lineup over Zar . Fourth line needs to better to roll all lines but I would put together cohesive dominanting top 3 lines against opponents for the playoffs. No line shuffling unless injuries.
ZAR was playing lights out on Sid's line before he got injured. I don't see the issue with putting him back there.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I agree with the remainder of your post but I take issue with these 2 sentences:
ZAR was producing with Sid earlier this year. I don't know how or why, but he was
And Jake can play either side with Sid
ZAR played RW in college, and it looks like HCMS has no issue with moving him to right wing based on the lines he was running today (based on Twitter)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What the Pens SHOULD do is what @CrosbyMalkin suggests, because I like the idea of coming at teams with 4 true scoring lines, with the addendum that Sid and Geno will take some shifts with the bottom six wingers and when the bench is shortened, the WBS guys will be sitting (such that the WBS guys would see the least time).

IF you wanted a more top heavy top six, then I think Sheary-Sid-Horny, HGR, Jake-Brass-Phil might be the most optimal combination, but there are other options SO LONG AS PHIL IS NOT PLAYING WITH GENO.

But, in the REAL WORLD, Rust will be Sid's RW until at least the Jake-Sid-Rust line becomes a net negative and/or the Pens go down in a series. The only hope is that HGH is line 2. As for line 3, I think we'll see Sheary-Brass-Phil, although I'd prefer ZAR on that LW and Sheary with Sheahan and whichever pet Sully dresses.

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
ZAR was playing lights out on Sid's line before he got injured. I don't see the issue with putting him back there.
Kind. He was ok.
I don’t see it flourishing.
Sid shouldn’t be teaching nor guiding during the playoffs really in this time of his career.
If Geno doesn’t happen to do it then Sid shouldn’t either.
I prefer Rust, Hornqvist and Simon as options. I think Rust will be d0 if Sully lets that continue to build chemistry.
Occasionally Kessel as well.
If Zar can play RW then ok. I guess.
I wish Sprong or another effective experience winger like Garbener was a option.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Kind. He was ok.
I don’t see it flourishing.
Sid shouldn’t be teaching nor guiding during the playoffs really in this time of his career.
If Geno doesn’t happen to do it then Sid shouldn’t either.
I prefer Rust, Hornqvist and Simon as options. I think Rust will be d0 if Sully lets that continue to build chemistry.
Occasionally Kessel as well.
If Zar can play RW then ok. I guess.
I wish Sprong or another effective experience winger like Garbener was a option.
Kind of? He was OK? o_O
6 points in 10 games before he was injured. Most of those (4) came on a line with Crosby.
You don't see it flourishing because since he has come back he has been on the 4th line.
Sid wasn't teaching him. ZAR was scoring.
If "Sid shouldn't be teaching" by your reasoning, why is Simon or Sprong OK?
Sprong isn't an some effective experienced winger.

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
What the Pens SHOULD do is what @CrosbyMalkin suggests, because I like the idea of coming at teams with 4 true scoring lines, with the addendum that Sid and Geno will take some shifts with the bottom six wingers and when the bench is shortened, the WBS guys will be sitting (such that the WBS guys would see the least time).

IF you wanted a more top heavy top six, then I think Sheary-Sid-Horny, HGR, Jake-Brass-Phil might be the most optimal combination, but there are other options SO LONG AS PHIL IS NOT PLAYING WITH GENO.

But, in the REAL WORLD, Rust will be Sid's RW until at least the Jake-Sid-Rust line becomes a net negative and/or the Pens go down in a series. The only hope is that HGH is line 2. As for line 3, I think we'll see Sheary-Brass-Phil, although I'd prefer ZAR on that LW and Sheary with Sheahan and whichever pet Sully dresses.

Sheary will not be great on Sid line. That’s ship has sail and it needs to continue to sail. Regardless Jake should be there permanent as LW for Sid. Jake-Kessel ship has sail as well. Guentzel did work well Kessel at one point because Guentzel was creating offense for Kessel They are defensively bad together.

If Sully wanna have a threat Kessel should be on Geno line. I don’t think Brassard works well with Kessel for some odd reason whether He hurt or not.
Jake is fine with Sid. Sid is fine with Jake Actually will be great.
The problem is RW that will be effective enough there. Rust can do it but he happens to maintain it.
Sheary-Brassard-Hornqvist will probably be fine or Sheary -Sheahan-Hornqvist here and there letting Brassard or Sheahan play RW with Sid and Jake.

I don’t know what Sully will do but top lines needs to be cohesive and dominant.

I prefer

Jake-Sid-Rust ( Hornqvist or Simon)
Hags-Geno-Kessel

That would be dominant.

3rd and fourth lines needs to be figure out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sheary will not be great on Sid line. That’s ship has sail and it needs to continue to sail. Regardless Jake should be there permanent as LW for Sid. Jake-Kessel ship has sail as well. Guentzel did work well Kessel at one point because Guentzel was creating offense for Kessel They are defensively bad together.

If Sully wanna have a threat Kessel should be on Geno line. I don’t think Brassard works well with Kessel for some odd reason whether He hurt or not.
The problem is RW that will be effective enough there. Rust can do it but he happens to maintain it.
Sheary-Brassard-Hornqvist will probably be fine or Sheary -Sheahan-Hornqvist here and there letting Brassard or Sheahan play RW with Sid and Jake.

I don’t know what Sully will do but top lines needs to be cohesive and dominant.

I prefer

Hags-Geno-Kessel

That would be dominant.

Kessel shouldn't be with Geno. Putting him there because there's nowhere else for him (supposedly) is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

As an aside, I always wondered how Jake-Sid-Phil would look, but the only idea more repugnant to Sid than Horny on his RW is Kessel on his RW.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014

I prefer

Hags-Geno-Kessel

That would be dominant.

How is Simon on Sid's wing dominant but ZAR isn't?
If you want Hornqvist, why would Honqvist light not be a better fit?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
good point. so now we have
...jake-sid- xxxx
hags - geno - xxxx
xxxx - brass - kessel
sheary - sheahan - xxxx
we're getting closer. still have xxxx playing on all for lines

This is the correct framework.

Jake - Sid - ZAR/Simon/Sprong(Pipe Dream) - We need to find the 3rd wheel for them ASAP.
Hags - Geno - Horny - This is proven to work. Don't mess with it.
Rust - Brass - Kessel - Brass and Kessel should be a thing, and Rust has looked like the best compliment to them
Sheary - Sheahan - ZAR/Simon/Kuhnhackl/Jooris - This last guy probably ends up being a PK specialist, aka Kuhn or Jooris. Sheary and Sheahan works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad