Playoff lines?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
After watching last nights game I was wondering if the Pens would be better having all 4 lines balanced. I was thinking something like this.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
Aston Reese-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheehan-Hornqvist

That last line worked well together but you could also switch Simon and Sheary and I think those lines would create mismatches for any team.

Too bad Sprong has not proven ready because if he was able to slot up in that Simon spot that would of been great. I was really thinking he could be the next Guentzel for this second half and playoffs but you can’t catch lightning every year. Maybe Aston-Reese will be that guy come playoff time?

Unfortunately I know these lines won’t likely happen due to PK guys that shall not be named will most likely be in the lineup.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If ZAR is going to be a factor in the playoffs , hes gonna have to play with Crosby.

Him being on the 4th line right now isnt helping him. Should be playing him on the first line right now these last 4 games so he can get some momentum going.

Then they can move him down to the 3rd if they want.

As for the lines in the playoffs, we are going to see a bunch of different combos throughout if we go on a long run. Whatever is working stays...until it dries up. Then changes are made .

For example, the HGH line was ridiculous in Jan/Feb..but its ran its course. Our wingers are capabale of playing on any line. Just do whatever is working best at that time.

I care more about each player being at their best come playoff time. We are seeing good things from Sheary right now, he has to keep it up. And Kessel has to get better, whatever is going on with him. Malkin/Hags will be fine...they are coming off a crazy run..and slowed down a bit. Theyll get back to that in the playoffs. Thats one combo you keep together.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The entire top-6 is Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, the entire bottom-6 is Glass-Rowney-Adams and the only defensemen that are allowed to play are Orpik and bad mode Letang. Oh yeah, Fleury's starting too.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Guentzel - Sid - ZAR
Rust - Geno - Kessel
Hagelin - Brassard - Hornqvist
Sheary - Sheahan - Simon

Or

Brassard - Sid - Hornqvist
ZAR - Geno - Rust
Guentzel - Sheahan - Kessel
Hagelin - Blueger - Simon/Sheary

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I would say the following will start in these positions then I really have no idea. We have had so many combos this season.

Guentzel-Crosby-XXXX
Hagelin-Malkin-XXXX
XXXX-Brassard-Kessel
XXXX-Sheahan-XXXX

We should have a Pens predict of opening line up. I wonder if anyone could actually pick it.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I just believe Sheahan has been producing when plays with good wingers. The Pens really are not that much improved with Brassard taking his place and then Sheahan playing with Rowney and Kuhnhackl. In fact we seemed better before the deadline when the Sheahan and Kessel line was doing pretty well.

I just believe we are a better team if you put at least one good winger with Sheehan and balance the 4 lines a little more.

Reactions: thecoolkid

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I would say the following will start in these positions then I really have no idea. We have had so many combos this season.

Guentzel-Crosby-XXXX
Hagelin-Malkin-XXXX
XXXX-Brassard-Kessel
XXXX-Sheahan-XXXX

We should have a Pens predict of opening line up. I wonder if anyone could actually pick it.

That’s kind of why I started this thread to get everyone’s opinions on the best lines going into the playoffs. Of course predicting what Sullivan will do is hard. I just hope it is not Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Rodney. I think what saved us last year with missing Letang was when we had all 4 lines that could score with Hornqvist on that 4th line. I think it could work again and let Sheahan line be a threat also.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I actually like the lines I have in my first post minus the Simon spot. I really wish Spong was ready. Although switching Simon to the 4th and Sheary on the first could work. Just really liked the Sheahan line last night. If that line stays affective until Brassard comes back it is worth a try to make 4 scoring lines

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If ZAR is going to be a factor in the playoffs , hes gonna have to play with Crosby.

Him being on the 4th line right now isnt helping him. Should be playing him on the first line right now these last 4 games so he can get some momentum going.

Then they can move him down to the 3rd if they want.

As for the lines in the playoffs, we are going to see a bunch of different combos throughout if we go on a long run. Whatever is working stays...until it dries up. Then changes are made .

For example, the HGH line was ridiculous in Jan/Feb..but its ran its course. Our wingers are capabale of playing on any line. Just do whatever is working best at that time.

I care more about each player being at their best come playoff time. We are seeing good things from Sheary right now, he has to keep it up. And Kessel has to get better, whatever is going on with him. Malkin/Hags will be fine...they are coming off a crazy run..and slowed down a bit. Theyll get back to that in the playoffs. Thats one combo you keep together.

I actually thought the Hagelin-Malkin-Rust line was the best. I would love to see the stats for those games but that was when Malkin was really rolling and Rust and Hagelin really took off.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
That’s kind of why I started this thread to get everyone’s opinions on the best lines going into the playoffs. Of course predicting what Sullivan will do is hard. I just hope it is not Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Rodney. I think what saved us last year with missing Letang was when we had all 4 lines that could score with Hornqvist on that 4th line. I think it could work again and let Sheahan line be a threat also.

Rowney and Kuhnhackl won’t both be on the team. Rowney was getting scratched once we were healthy.

Hornqvist was only on the 4th line against Nashville and that’s because he had a broken hand. You don’t want to cut Hornqvist’s minutes.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Guentzel-Crosby-XXXX
Hagelin-Malkin-XXXX
XXXX-Brassard-Kessel
XXXX-Sheahan-XXXX

that's a good start......kessel can't play with sid or geno....sprong needs to play with geno, if he plays at all.....and that xxxx guy can't play on all four lines.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Can’t have Sheary and Kessel on the same line. Both guys play on the perimeter too much to be effective together.
good point. so now we have ...jake-sid- xxxx
hags - geno - xxxx
xxxx - brass - kessel
sheary - sheahan - xxxx
we're getting closer. still have xxxx playing on all for lines

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Hornqvist was only on the 4th line against Nashville and that’s because he had a broken hand. You don’t want to cut Hornqvist’s minutes.
if we are rolling all four lines,,,,and...he's getting pp time ....he should be fine. no?
edit; with the way he plays, he might stay a lot healthier playing less min. imo

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I like the idea of running a fourth line that can play 15 min a night...Sheary-Sheahan-Horny.. now it doesn’t mean they will. But you start the game rolling all four lines about the same and see what’s working...Sully can tweak depending of what’s is working and what isn’t and whether we are down or up in the game..But I like starting with and rolling for the same amount of time...
Jake-Sid-Simon/Sprong
Hags-G-Rust
ZAR-Brass-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny

And unlike others (yes, you Sully), I think Sprong is ready and should be given another chance...it looks like he improved his game the last couple weeks and he could have a Jake-like impact on the POs...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
if we are rolling all four lines,,,,and...he's getting pp time ....he should be fine. no?
edit; with the way he plays, he might stay a lot healthier playing less min. imo

Maybe. I prefer him on L1 or L2 though. When the going gets tough, Hornqvist doesn’t stop. Prefer him against the oppositions best.

Hornqvist has never been injury prone so lowering his minutes shouldn’t really be a factor.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I like the idea of running a fourth line that can play 15 min a night...Sheary-Sheahan-Horny.. now it doesn’t mean they will. But you start the game rolling all four lines about the same and see what’s working...Sully can tweak depending of what’s is working and what isn’t and whether we are down or up in the game..But I like starting with and rolling for the same amount of time...
Jake-Sid-Simon/Sprong
Hags-G-Rust
ZAR-Brass-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny

And unlike others (yes, you Sully), I think Sprong is ready and should be given another chance...it looks like he improved his game the last couple weeks and he could have a Jake-like impact on the POs...
not sure I like rust with geno.....I would like to see sprong there....that leaves simon, zar, and rust. I see rust a better fit with brass and kessel. and just give sid his pick of zar or simon.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe. I prefer him on L1 or L2 though. When the going gets tough, Hornqvist doesn’t stop. Prefer him against the oppositions best.

Hornqvist has never been injury prone so lowering his minutes shouldn’t really be a factor.
injury prone or not the man takes a beating.....and I think with pp time he would get his min.
edit; if we are rolling 4 lines...we are not matching players

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Alot of unknowns heading into the playoffs.

Did a good job adding Oleksiak and Sheahan, but we dont know how they will play in the postseason yet.

Same goes for ZAR and Simon. Even Hunwick if he plays.

Need it to turn out like Bonino, Cullen, Sheary, Cole, and Rust in their first playoff run with us two years ago..with at least 3 of those guys. Cant expect all of them to do as well as that group did.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
not sure I like rust with geno.....I would like to see sprong there....that leaves simon, zar, and rust. I see rust a better fit with brass and kessel. and just give sid his pick of zar or simon.

Rust played with Geno and that line was when Hagelin and Rust took off. They scored at close to a point a game before Rust got hurt. If someone looks it up I think they can see the points of Malkin with Hagelin and Rust but from what I remember they kicked butt. I remember when Hornqvist came back and Sullivan put him with Malkin I was thinking that was a mistake. Malkin cooled off pretty quickly after that change.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Guentzel- Crosby - Rust/Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Rust/Hornqvist
Sheary/ZAR - Brassard - Kessel
Sheary/Kuhn - Sheahan - Jorris/Rowney

If ZAR is not at least L3 demote him till someone gets hurt, he’s wasted on an L4 and doesn’t fit.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
I just believe Sheahan has been producing when plays with good wingers. The Pens really are not that much improved with Brassard taking his place and then Sheahan playing with Rowney and Kuhnhackl. In fact we seemed better before the deadline when the Sheahan and Kessel line was doing pretty well.

I just believe we are a better team if you put at least one good winger with Sheehan and balance the 4 lines a little more.

ZAR - Crosby - Sprong?
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Sheahan - Kessel
Sheary - Brassard - Rust

1) If you want to go anywhere in the playoffs you're going to have to get Phil Kessel going
2) Brassard has been a downgrade to Sheahan. And I'm by no means a fan of Sheahan. I became a fan of Sheahan when he started playing with Guentzel and Kessel and started producing. There's no use for him on the 4th line. It might as well be Rowney
3) Everyone has one good winger. Sid gets less bc he can make them into more. Is that right? No - but for the best TEAM I think that's what you want. Gets net-front presence with ZAR and good defense and a scoring threat in Sprong
4) Brassard on the "4th line" is really like a 2nd line with Rust and Sheary. This is my speed line. Grinders. Wear their 4th line down and score goals

As for PK, I'd be looking at something like this. If you're spreading out ice time with four good lines then you can use star players for PK as well to get some shorties. That said, this is my standard PK lines.

Brassard - Hagelin
Sheahan - Rust
Crosby - Hornqvist

Also looking at Bengtsson at defense. That Maatta - Bengtsson pair is a playable 2nd pair that plays as a 3rd pair.

Hold on to your butts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad