Injury Report: Playoff Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did we find out what happened to Donskoi?

In Ryan Clarke's Q&A, Sakic said he got hurt earlier. As in before they got to the bubble.

I think I remember Bednar saying in one of the pressers that Donskoi's injury was from the end of the regular season and he aggravated at, but I can't remember which presser it was to go back and confirm.

And Calvert?

Sakic said he got injured in the Arizona series. That's all we know, because Sakic wasn't sure if he could talk about injury specifics yet or not. Which seems like a bit of a cop out IMO. He could have checked before doing his end of year interviews.

Bednar said Calvert was getting close but had a setback.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also, Bednar said Francouz was dealing with hip and knee injuries.

Bednar:

“I think it was uncharacteristic, the way he played in the series (but) you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was dealing with hip and knee problems — muscular problems that were giving him some weakness and some pain and he just didn’t play the way we had seen him playing (and) eventually he couldn’t keep going. It was obviously getting worse as the series went on.”

Sakic:

“He was battling through his issues once he came in,” Sakic said of Francouz, who began the playoffs with a 27-save shutout against Dallas in round-robin play Aug. 5. “He’s an athletic goalie and he wasn’t able to push. I give him credit. He tried. He battled. He just couldn’t do it anymore.”

Joe Sakic says Avalanche will stick with Philipp Grubauer, Pavel Francouz in goal, reveals latter was injured vs. Stars – The Denver Post

Reactions: Kaizer

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bednar:

“I think it was uncharacteristic, the way he played in the series (but) you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was dealing with hip and knee problems — muscular problems that were giving him some weakness and some pain and he just didn’t play the way we had seen him playing (and) eventually he couldn’t keep going. It was obviously getting worse as the series went on.”
@Balthazar

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It kinda makes sense to go with Grubauer and Francouz again, because coming off a injured playoffs where neither goalie proved anything, they wont have much value to move them. Give them another year to prove they can actually stay healthy and help the team win, and if they can't do that again, one or both of them will be gone the following year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It kinda makes sense to go with Grubauer and Francouz again, because coming off a injured playoffs where neither goalie proved anything, they wont have much value to move them. Give them another year to prove they can actually stay healthy and help the team win, and if they can't do that again, one or both of them will be gone the following year.

Grubauer would likely have quite a bit od value around the league.

With the numbers he has put up the last 3 years, having a Stanley cup ring, a fair amount of playoff experience now(Almost 30 starts now in 3 years), and with such a low cap hit next year during a time where the crunch is on...

He would be one of the most coveted goalies on the market if Colorado made a move for someone else and then planned to trade Gruby in a separate deal.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Grubauer would likely have quite a bit od value around the league.

With the numbers he has put up the last 3 years, having a Stanley cup ring, a fair amount of playoff experience now(Almost 30 starts now in 3 years), and with such a low cap hit next year during a time where the crunch is on...

He would be one of the most coveted goalies on the market if Colorado made a move for someone else and then planned to trade Gruby in a separate deal.
2nd round pick is probably what Grubauer's return would be if you were trading him straight up. For that I rather keep him one more year and see if he can stay healthy and win with this team, if not then trade him, or he walks as a UFA

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just re-read Chambers article and found this tidbit at the end interesting. Maybe EJ won't have surgery?

Or maybe (this would be an interesting move) they think they can put it off and then do something at the end of next season, making it even more unlikely he gets claimed in expansion if he waives his NMC?

"Sakic anticipates all seven players to recover before next season — currently scheduled to begin Dec. 1."

Joe Sakic says Avalanche will stick with Philipp Grubauer, Pavel Francouz in goal, reveals latter was injured vs. Stars – The Denver Post

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I just re-read Chambers article and found this tidbit at the end interesting. Maybe EJ won't have surgery?

Or maybe (this would be an interesting move) they think they can put it off and then do something at the end of next season, making it even more unlikely he gets claimed in expansion if he waives his NMC?

"Sakic anticipates all seven players to recover before next season — currently scheduled to begin Dec. 1."

How many will be hurt again by February?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I don't think it'd be that big a deal if the Avalanche didn't go big on defense this offseason. They already have two incredibly talented blueliners and one of the best defensive prospects in hockey. Beyond that they have a decent placeholder, an injury-prone but still useful top-four guy, and a veteran stopgap third pairing guy who should at least be noticeably better next season. If they're gonna go big, it should be to either add a legit star winger onto that 2nd line or top-end third line center. I don't know why people are freaking out so bad if Ryan Graves starts out the year on the top pairing. If EJ isn't good to go, then yeah I'm a little concerned, but that doesn't mean they should break the bank to bring in someone at a position they're already strong at. And obviously there are some huge concerns about Conor Timmins but it ain't yet time to just write him off entirely.

I'd like for Sakic to be "all in" this offseason, but I also don't think the Avs absolutely HAVE to be a cap team this upcoming season. The only question I have now that I didn't going into this season is whether or not they're fine with the goaltending tandem they currently have.

Avs likely will change one of Graves, Cole, or Zadorov simply because there are going to be better options out there from teams looking to dump a contract and it’s rare to see bluelines stick together season to season like that, but it could happen and it would not be terrible. Would not likely be a massive upgrade, but the odds of at least one of the top six getting replaced is decent.

But beyond that I really hope they go hunting for 2-3 depth vet D men on 1 year contracts to replace Cannoton and Barlytherio. They need to have some better options in the experience category to complement the up and coming younger players regarding depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->