Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I wont lie it would be funny as **** to see the team makes the playoffs right after Danault has finally seen his TOI reduced by the coach. Man that would be something.

Centers TOI in the last 5 games :

Danault 16:46
Domi 15:46
Suzuki 15:16

Centers TOI in the last 2 years :

Danault 18:13
Domi 17:14
Kotkaniemi whatever TOI was left after Thompson was exhausted.

Duh.
We won 2 games.
1 in Washington where the Danault's line pretty much was the only line working and one against the ridiculously bad Sens.

And what you retain from that is that we have been great because Danault had less toi ?

We are not better, we just faced 2 terrible opponents.

Seriously weird analysis.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Duh.
We won 2 games.
1 in Washington where the Danault's line pretty much was the only line working and one against the ridiculously bad Sens.

And what you retain from that is that we have been great because Danault had less toi ?

We are not better, we just faced 2 terrible opponents.

Seriously weird analysis.

1. This was not an analysis.
2. Never said we have been great.
3. Never said we were better.
4. I just said it would be funny as shit if we would make the playoffs while Danault would be playing less which objectively speaking would totally be hilarious.
5. No way to know if Danault will keep playing less until the end of the season and never pretended to know it.
6. No we wont make the playoffs i've been saying it for like 2 months now.
7. The definition of would is : Expressing a conditional mood indicating the consequence of an imagined event or situation ;)

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Guys - great news. I just took a look at our schedule. Did so from a completely realistic, and even pessimistic viewpoint, but here's what I come up with:

Our next 4 games are super winnable.

Ottawa sucks. We always beat Vancouver. We're better than NYR. Carolina isn't for real.
Then after that - NY Islanders - they suck, so they're bound to come down to earth. Easy win.
Than it's Tampa. Considering how their record in 2020 is win 20 games in a row, lose 1, rinse repeat - we're probably right on schedule to hand them their 1 loss. Win too
Florida is floundering, so win.

So that's 7 wins in a row - would give us 78 points in 70 games. That'd be good enough to pass Florida, and maybe still be ~2-3 points back of Toronto.

Nashville next. They don't have PK anymore, so easy win too.
Buffalo/Anaheim/LA/SJ next. Those teams all suck - that's an easy 4 wins in a row.

So we're now at 88 points in 75 games played.

Colorado is a good team - hard to beat them. We have to be realistic in our expectations after all. So 4-3 OT loss, 1 point only.

Good news, we're back to sucky teams after. Buffalo, FLA, NYI and Chicago. 4 easy wins.

So after 80 games - we'd be sitting at 97 points.

Sticking to the realistic theme - we can't win every game - so we lose against Nashville, 3-0. Yes - despite no PK Subban, I know, crazy stuff.

So then it'll come down to the last game of the year, Montreal vs Toronto. We'd be 2 points ahead of them - but if they beat us in regulation they could still top us I think. Good thing it's the Leafs and they suck - Habs win 7-1.

And it's onto Boston in round 1 of the playoffs.

Well this didn’t hold up for very long.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
On February 8th. 2-1 win against the Leafs. We're 5 points back. Still - both Tor and Fla have at least 1-2 games in hand. Our odds at playoffs are still super slim. What are the odds both of those teams start sucking at crunch time and losing a bunch of games to give us an opening? That'd be as likely as a zamboni driver coming in to play goalie and beating one of those teams...oh wait.

So - let's see how Habs performed in this super important time of the year, with their season on the line, with the opening Toronto and Florida was able to offer us.

February 10th. Up 2-0 vs Arizona, lose 3-2. In regulation too - so no points.
We lose vs Boston/Pit. Great teams, let's move on.
Dallas. Time to stop the bleeding, against another very good team. No sweat. Habs go up 3-0!....yet lose 4-3. In OT. Nice
Well - at least we have Detroit next! Easy win, Habs 3-1. There's still hope!...no wait, 3-1 is the score after 2 periods. Habs actually allow Detroit to score 3 in the 3rd to lose 4-3 in OT. lol, 4 regulation losses to Detroit this year. Nice.

We beat Washington (don't get too excited - Ovi = deer in a headlight with goal 700 in sight, Caps practically giving wins away for that ~1-2 week stretch)
We beat Ottawa 3-0. Ok, nice. Let's keep things going!
Vancouver, we got this baby, Habs 2-0....then Habs 3-2....than Habs lose 4-3. lol
NY Rangers. Let's get it back on track...Habs 2-0 with 90 seconds to go in the 2nd period. We got this. Nope - Habs lose 5-2.

So - we lost games being up by 2 or 3 goal leads 5x in the last 9 games. Only 2 OTL points to show for out of those 5 games too. If we win all 5 games instead - the standings today would read:

Toronto 76 points 65 games
Montreal 75 points 66 games
Florida 72 points 64 games

Who makes playoffs? Flip a coin.

This is beyond pathetic. I've never seen such an epic string of collapses. If you're going to suck - at least suck outright and lose games properly (like the 4-1 losses to Boston and Pitt).

Reactions: Zorro

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Down to 0.3%. Title should change.

upload_2020-2-28_8-26-13.jpeg

Even The Sherpas can't help us now. They've called off their winter ascent.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The Habs now have a 1.7% chance of making the playoffs after last night's win yeah!

Their schedule is easy.

Outside of Tampa/Colorado, no hard games.

However the math is close to impossible. Even if they go say 10-5-1, that only gets them to 92 points.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Habs Schedule:
At Tampa - L
At Florida - W
Vs Nashville - OTL
Vs Buffalo - W
At Anaheim - W
At Los Angeles - W
At San Jose - OTL
At Colorado - L
Vs Buffalo - W
Vs Florida - OTL
Vs NYIslanders - W
At Chicago - L
At Nashville - W
At Toronto - W

They will probably go 8-3-3 for 90 points.
The Leafs have an easy schedule, so they would either have to catch the Islanders or the Blue Jackets up.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Habs Schedule:
At Tampa - L
At Florida - W
Vs Nashville - OTL
Vs Buffalo - W
At Anaheim - W
At Los Angeles - W
At San Jose - OTL
At Colorado - L
Vs Buffalo - W
Vs Florida - OTL
Vs NYIslanders - W
At Chicago - L
At Nashville - W
At Toronto - W

They will probably go 8-3-3 for 90 points.
The Leafs have an easy schedule, so they would either have to catch the Islanders or the Blue Jackets up.

93 points was the lowest entry point for a playoff team in the last 4 seasons in the East.

It'll take 95 this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So they would have to go 11-1-2 for 24 points + 71 = 95!

Or 12-2 (i.e. only lose to Tampa and Colorado) ;)

Need two 6-1 streaks. But this team hasn't shown any indication they can win games they need to win against teams like the Rangers, the coyotes, the Stars, and the red wings.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
has to start with a win in tampa and 2 leafs losses on the west coast. BUt odds are we lose and we can relax and aim for a better pick again

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Guys - great news. I just took a look at our schedule. Did so from a completely realistic, and even pessimistic viewpoint, but here's what I come up with:

Our next 4 games are super winnable.

Ottawa sucks. We always beat Vancouver. We're better than NYR. Carolina isn't for real.
Then after that - NY Islanders - they suck, so they're bound to come down to earth. Easy win.
Than it's Tampa. Considering how their record in 2020 is win 20 games in a row, lose 1, rinse repeat - we're probably right on schedule to hand them their 1 loss. Win too
Florida is floundering, so win.

So that's 7 wins in a row - would give us 78 points in 70 games. That'd be good enough to pass Florida, and maybe still be ~2-3 points back of Toronto.

Nashville next. They don't have PK anymore, so easy win too.
Buffalo/Anaheim/LA/SJ next. Those teams all suck - that's an easy 4 wins in a row.

So we're now at 88 points in 75 games played.

Colorado is a good team - hard to beat them. We have to be realistic in our expectations after all. So 4-3 OT loss, 1 point only.

Good news, we're back to sucky teams after. Buffalo, FLA, NYI and Chicago. 4 easy wins.

So after 80 games - we'd be sitting at 97 points.

Sticking to the realistic theme - we can't win every game - so we lose against Nashville, 3-0. Yes - despite no PK Subban, I know, crazy stuff.

So then it'll come down to the last game of the year, Montreal vs Toronto. We'd be 2 points ahead of them - but if they beat us in regulation they could still top us I think. Good thing it's the Leafs and they suck - Habs win 7-1.

And it's onto Boston in round 1 of the playoffs.
Not sure if serious. Or just trolling.

Too hard for me to guess the exact number of points Florida and Toronto will get I prefer the bigger picture. But I will add scenarios to it.

If we lose 4.5 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 94 points.
If we lose 4 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 95 points.
If we lose 3.5 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 96 points.
If we lose 3 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 97 points.
If we lose 2.5 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 98 points.
If we lose 2 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 99 points.
If we lose 1.5 more games in our next 18, we can't get to 100 points.
The truth hurts.

I thought that was what they paid 10 mil for? Or rather 70 mil in 7 years. :)
Glass houses mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I wont lie it would be funny as **** to see the team makes the playoffs right after Danault has finally seen his TOI reduced by the coach. Man that would be something.

Centers TOI in the last 5 games :

Danault 16:46
Domi 15:46
Suzuki 15:16

Centers TOI in the last 2 years :

Danault 18:13
Domi 17:14
Kotkaniemi whatever TOI was left after Thompson was exhausted.
Danault can't score in a Texas whorehouse. About time.

We are at 1.8%. The air is getting thin:naughty:.
Way to go not selling at the f***ing deadline Bergy. f*** off out of it. Do you realize how much future to habs was lost by him not selling at the deadline? OMG f*** off Bergy.

It's almost as if you thought i was being serious.
I think you were being serious. I think your post was serious about Habs making the playoffs.

On February 8th. 2-1 win against the Leafs. We're 5 points back. Still - both Tor and Fla have at least 1-2 games in hand. Our odds at playoffs are still super slim. What are the odds both of those teams start sucking at crunch time and losing a bunch of games to give us an opening? That'd be as likely as a zamboni driver coming in to play goalie and beating one of those teams...oh wait.

So - let's see how Habs performed in this super important time of the year, with their season on the line, with the opening Toronto and Florida was able to offer us.

February 10th. Up 2-0 vs Arizona, lose 3-2. In regulation too - so no points.
We lose vs Boston/Pit. Great teams, let's move on.
Dallas. Time to stop the bleeding, against another very good team. No sweat. Habs go up 3-0!....yet lose 4-3. In OT. Nice
Well - at least we have Detroit next! Easy win, Habs 3-1. There's still hope!...no wait, 3-1 is the score after 2 periods. Habs actually allow Detroit to score 3 in the 3rd to lose 4-3 in OT. lol, 4 regulation losses to Detroit this year. Nice.

We beat Washington (don't get too excited - Ovi = deer in a headlight with goal 700 in sight, Caps practically giving wins away for that ~1-2 week stretch)
We beat Ottawa 3-0. Ok, nice. Let's keep things going!
Vancouver, we got this baby, Habs 2-0....then Habs 3-2....than Habs lose 4-3. lol
NY Rangers. Let's get it back on track...Habs 2-0 with 90 seconds to go in the 2nd period. We got this. Nope - Habs lose 5-2.

So - we lost games being up by 2 or 3 goal leads 5x in the last 9 games. Only 2 OTL points to show for out of those 5 games too. If we win all 5 games instead - the standings today would read:

Toronto 76 points 65 games
Montreal 75 points 66 games
Florida 72 points 64 games

Who makes playoffs? Flip a coin.

This is beyond pathetic. I've never seen such an epic string of collapses. If you're going to suck - at least suck outright and lose games properly (like the 4-1 losses to Boston and Pitt).
It's not even close to a 'flip of a coin.' You are being conned by Buttmans' system of hope. Habs are not making the PO. Stop being such a muppet.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
has to start with a win in tampa and 2 leafs losses on the west coast. BUt odds are we lose and we can relax and aim for a better pick again
Bit late for that. Can't wait for that number 14 overall. f*** OFF BERGY. This is a nightmare.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
He's the second-leading scorer on this team though. More points than Domi, Gallagher, Suzuki, Petry and Weber. By far the highest +/- too. :dunno: Just don't understand the hate for this guy.
Because its like the roster that had petrov as our #2 point producer. If your number 2 guy isnt even cracking 60 points, there is a major problem on the team. That player is in a position they shouldnt be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->