Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This team is so frustrating. Everyone talks about how we've been eliminated for weeks, or months even since our 2nd 8 game losing streak in a row at the holidays.

We had been slowly gaining momentum. Than this week - 4 games. Had we won all 4 games - instead of losing all 4 games, right now we'd be sitting at a record of:

31-23-7 with 69 points. We've have 1 game more played than Toronto, but back only 1 point.

That’s a big if. Remember 2 of those teams were Boston and Pittsburgh.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If they lose to Detroit again, I’m predicting the coaching staff gets fired. I’m calling it. After blowing a 3 goal lead, Julien getting fined... a loss tomorrow and I think he’s gone. Probably the rest too.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
If you take his trades in a nutshell you are right. But you can't do that. Trades must be part of a clear plan. They must work together. I would still say Subban for Weber is a bad trade. Not because the trade itself is bad but because Weber today is worse than Subban was back when the trade was made both on the ice and in trade value. This was very predictable there's no hindsight here. You should not 4 years after a trade is made be stuck with a downgrade compared to what you had when the trade was made unless you were aiming for a cup when the trade was made (Inginla for Nieuwendyk type of trade). We were definitely not aiming for a cup not even close.

Shaw for two very good 2nd round picks is 100% a bad trade. Not in term of overall value (although it was certainty not great). But when your team just totally crumbled like a cheap card castle after just one injury to your start goalie the last thing you need is Andrew ****** ******* Shaw. He was a win now player. Someone you get when you have a team like the Caps or the Pens. You don't pay two high 2nd round picks for a deluxe 3rd line player with a concussion history when you need to find elite players. To the surprise of nobody we got less for Shaw 3 years after the trade than what we paid for him. Again we lost value and we were not aiming for a cup. This is 100% unacceptable and there's no hindsight here all of this was foreseeable and many guys around here predicted it.

Those two trades make sense only if you are all in. We were not. We were actually building thru draft ...

there was no and there will be no day on earth where the subban-weber trade was bad. if you want to take into consideration all variables please pencil subban in the lineup and explain how he helps, how the value is better or how he is easy to trade with a NTC. Subban took the organization hostage with his contract and the day he signed it was the day he was gone.

Reactions: cphabs

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
there was no and there will be no day on earth where the subban-weber trade was bad. if you want to take into consideration all variables please pencil subban in the lineup and explain how he helps, how the value is better or how he is easy to trade with a NTC. Subban took the organization hostage with his contract and the day he signed it was the day he was gone.

The trade was bad for Montreal because Bergevin should have got someone(s) younger than Weber. Instead he traded for a 31 year old defenceman on a bad contract and didn’t do anything else. Bergevin should have known when his best defender is on the wrong side of 30 he’s only got a certain window to contend for the cup. Instead Montreal hasn’t won a playoff series with Weber and he turns 35 next season.

Both teams lost that trade in the end.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If they lose to Detroit again, I’m predicting the coaching staff gets fired. I’m calling it. After blowing a 3 goal lead, Julien getting fined... a loss tomorrow and I think he’s gone. Probably the rest too.

Not that I’d have a problem with that, but would there be any point? Our next game is Thursday and unless they hold on to Ducharme and promote him, that’s too quick of a turnaround. I can’t say any of the currently unemployed coaches entice me either.

On topic, Florida won. We’re six back but they have two games in hand.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

And i took the time to highlight the parts saying he had better value back when the trade was made. Sigh ...

3pig5d.jpg

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The variable is we traded for the same position. We needed and still need a damn #1C. Talk to your boy marc about that bridge contract. He took himself hostage. Subban had value. The fact the idiot gm cant figure out what all the sport casters, all our fans, all other teams fans, and even young kids can figure out says it all. Oh we know he has tried. But has he thought about either acquiring or getting rid of a single #1 draft pick. Nope. No direction from this lump of dung GM

Reactions: Andrei79

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The variable is we traded for the same position. We needed and still need a damn #1C. Talk to your boy marc about that bridge contract. He took himself hostage. Subban had value. The fact the idiot gm cant figure out what all the sport casters, all our fans, all other teams fans, and even young kids can figure out says it all. Oh we know he has tried. But has he thought about either acquiring or getting rid of a single #1 draft pick. Nope. No direction from this lump of dung GM

That's an interesting point about acquiring or getting of a 1st. I'm not that high on getting a late 1st at the deadline. Would rather get a really good prospect. But, it always seemed to me 1st round picks have much more value on draft day than at the deadline. So, if we could acquire a 1st at the deadline, we could potentially trade it for a valuable player on draft day.

At any rate, if we trade Tatar or Petry, I want a Suzuki level prospect or a lottery pick coming back.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I'm convinced that they're doing the same. Their own concept of tabs like that. Presented into their locker room. That's really shameless.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Guys - great news. I just took a look at our schedule. Did so from a completely realistic, and even pessimistic viewpoint, but here's what I come up with:

Our next 4 games are super winnable.

Ottawa sucks. We always beat Vancouver. We're better than NYR. Carolina isn't for real.
Then after that - NY Islanders - they suck, so they're bound to come down to earth. Easy win.
Than it's Tampa. Considering how their record in 2020 is win 20 games in a row, lose 1, rinse repeat - we're probably right on schedule to hand them their 1 loss. Win too
Florida is floundering, so win.

So that's 7 wins in a row - would give us 78 points in 70 games. That'd be good enough to pass Florida, and maybe still be ~2-3 points back of Toronto.

Nashville next. They don't have PK anymore, so easy win too.
Buffalo/Anaheim/LA/SJ next. Those teams all suck - that's an easy 4 wins in a row.

So we're now at 88 points in 75 games played.

Colorado is a good team - hard to beat them. We have to be realistic in our expectations after all. So 4-3 OT loss, 1 point only.

Good news, we're back to sucky teams after. Buffalo, FLA, NYI and Chicago. 4 easy wins.

So after 80 games - we'd be sitting at 97 points.

Sticking to the realistic theme - we can't win every game - so we lose against Nashville, 3-0. Yes - despite no PK Subban, I know, crazy stuff.

So then it'll come down to the last game of the year, Montreal vs Toronto. We'd be 2 points ahead of them - but if they beat us in regulation they could still top us I think. Good thing it's the Leafs and they suck - Habs win 7-1.

And it's onto Boston in round 1 of the playoffs.

Reactions: beh3moth

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Guys - great news. I just took a look at our schedule. Did so from a completely realistic, and even pessimistic viewpoint, but here's what I come up with:

Ottawa sucks. We always beat Vancouver. We're better than NYR. Carolina isn't for real.
Then after that - NY Islanders - they suck, so they're bound to come down to earth. Easy win.
Than it's Tampa. Considering how their record in 2020 is win 20 games in a row, lose 1, rinse repeat - we're probably right on schedule to hand them their 1 loss. Win too

So that's 7 wins in a row - would give us 78 points in 70 games. That'd be good enough to pass Florida, and maybe still be ~2-3 points back of Toronto.

Buffalo/Anaheim/LA/SJ next. Those teams all suck - that's an easy 4 wins in a row.

Colorado is a good team - hard to beat them. We have to be realistic in our expectations after all. So 4-3 OT loss, 1 point only.

Good news, we're back to sucky teams after. Buffalo, FLA, NYI and Chicago. 4 easy wins.

Sticking to the realistic theme - we can't win every game - so we lose against Nashville, 3-0. Yes - despite no PK Subban, I know, crazy stuff.

So then it'll come down to the last game of the year, Montreal vs Toronto. We'd be 2 points ahead of them - but if they beat us in regulation they could still top us I think. Good thing it's the Leafs and they suck - Habs win 7-1.

Is that you Marc?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
This team is so frustrating. Everyone talks about how we've been eliminated for weeks, or months even since our 2nd 8 game losing streak in a row at the holidays.

We had been slowly gaining momentum. Than this week - 4 games. Had we won all 4 games - instead of losing all 4 games, right now we'd be sitting at a record of:

31-23-7 with 69 points. We've have 1 game more played than Toronto, but back only 1 point.
You feeling frustrated is your fault. It’s been obvious from the first day of the season that this team wasn’t going to make the playoffs. They made zero upgrades to a team that didn’t make the playoffs with an optimal year last year. Everyone had career years and injuries were minimal. Your hope is your desire to not be realistic. Time to wake up.

A rebuild is coming because next season they’re not going to make the playoffs again and, at some point, Price and Weber will have had enough. And before you say how do I know they won’t make the playoffs again? Because Bergevin has said explicitly he’s not trading young players so this will be a slow process.

Don’t say “you never know”. There’s 8 years of evidence.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

Jesus Christ. Want to put money on it? Message me.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

MB stop playing on the HFboards and go work some trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad