Playoff Drive Obituary Thread

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So it's pouring rain here in Austin Texas right now. Started right after we were eliminated. This seems appropriate:

Dude, I flew from Columbus to Austin last night to watch The Black Crowes at Stubbs tonite. I have never been rained on that hard for that long, it was a torrent for 2 hrs. Started 30 minutes after the show started and ended when the show ended.

So bummed about the Jackets.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Weirdest stat of the year. At this year's pace and extrapolated over an 82-game season, Brandon Dubinsky would have 57 points....on 6 goals and 51 assists.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
I am seriously bummed. I didn't care who else got in or out, just wanted Columbus in. I don't see my Blues going past first round, was planning on rooting for Columbus and excited for you guys. I love that I'm seeing Columbus fans so positive about the season, that's great. Hopeful for your season next year, will miss you guys in the west. I don't follow east much, will have to try to keep tabs on though. Seriously disappointed tonight though. Good luck next year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan here.

I'm disappointed the Blue Jackets didn't sneak in. I really would have liked to have seen what a series with Chicago would look like. Minnesota is going to fold like a bad hand. Its nice the BJs won their game and gave themselves a shot today.

Good luck in the East next season. One nice thing about the realignment is that I can root for Columbus without a conflict with my own team. Teach the East Coast fans about hockey from the Central Division. I'll enjoy watching Jarmo shape the team into a perennial playoff contender. I think it starts in exactly one year from now. Good luck!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Should have been you guys, not those jokers in Minnesota who bought their way to an 8th place tiebreak, or the Red Wings (yawn) and their boring veteran roster.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Damn,just..damn. I was really hoping you guys would make it in instead of Minny. You guys gotta be excited,though. Your team exceeded all expectations. You found your answer in net. And you have three first round picks in a deep draft. The future is bright, Jacket fans. Good luck next year.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
Jackets fans - you all deserved a better fate. I've been (casually) rooting for you for a few years now, and have been to a few games @Nationwide. I would have killed to experience the atmosphere there tonight.

The move to the east will be a huge boost to the organization and you won't have many late games which will attract younger fans. Good luck next year, just not against the Pens. :sarcasm:;)

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Well, enough alcohol has numbed the pain enough, but Scott Howson is laughing his ass off that we missed out of the playoffs by his own suggestion. But having said that, i'll have to give him props, granted it took a change in management to wake this team up, but short of Gaborik, this is his team, and they made us all proud. It hurts to miss out of the playoffs, its going to be a long off season, but I think the future is bright,and am excited to see what new management does for the team

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Hey there Jackets fans, it's me. The Kings fan who started that thread about my friend a few weeks ago. I was rooting like a mad man for you guys to make it just so I'd be able to show my friend a Jackets playoff game to show him how much you guys care about them team. It really sucks that I won't be able to do it. Anyways, keep your head up guys, good days are just around the corner.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As an Oilers fan I'll say this, even before you guys went on your run, we were playing you guys and I think we won this game, but you guys outplayed us badly, and I remember honestly saying "this is one of the toughest teams we've played period this year".

This was when you guys were still like in 2nd last or whatever. Hard working bunch for sure. Would've been a great story to make the playoffs.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Nothing to be ashamed off. The Jackets put everything they had on the ice.

Looking to next year, you guys have this wonderful, young roster and three first round picks to boot. The future is bright in Jacketland. :)

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Woke up and saw the results :shakehead

though what a run that was :handclap: so close and I'm sure the team will be even more hungrier next year to get there!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
What is good about this run is that our "kids" got a taste of it and now understand what it takes to get to the top. They will know that one point lost here or there earlier in the season can turn out to be the big one. they now know that champions play at that higher gear from the start of the season. Can't wait for next year. I think I may renew my tickets (insert smiley).

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Someone probably wrote this already, but since hiring Kekäläinen, CBJ went 19-7-5 (69.4 win%). That's slightly better than the start of the season was at 5-10-2 (35.3 win%). Not twice as good, but doesn't fall short a lot. Play next season like that for 82 games and you'll finish with 50-19-13 and ~114 points (rounding applies). For example in 2011-12 season that would have equaled President's Trophy.

Not bad from a team that many considered being full of AHLers.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Call me crazy but I feel like the long term future of the franchise will benefit from coming up short this year.

There will be no off season laziness next season like there was last time. Every single one of those players will go home with that burning hunger in the pit of their stomach with the taste of the playoffs they had. That hunger and fighting desire will fester all summer and they will come back to training camp like a monster ready to explode next season. The East won't know what hit them next year.

I think we are in for a great ride next season and I'm glad I already have my tickets on board the train for next year.

What is good about this run is that our "kids" got a taste of it and now understand what it takes to get to the top. They will know that one point lost here or there earlier in the season can turn out to be the big one. they now know that champions play at that higher gear from the start of the season. Can't wait for next year. I think I may renew my tickets (insert smiley).

No need for me to add anything to what you guys have said.

(hmm, but I guess I did, anyway!)

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
or the Red Wings (yawn) and their boring veteran roster.
Don't know what Red Wings you were watching. Datsyuk is one of the most exciting players in the league, and other than him and Zett we don't have any veterans at all (those that we have are all injured). Detroit has the second highest (I believe) number of rookie games played in the league.

Yet I was rooting for Columbus, not Minnesota.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Well, enough alcohol has numbed the pain enough, but Scott Howson is laughing his ass off that we missed out of the playoffs by his own suggestion. But having said that, i'll have to give him props, granted it took a change in management to wake this team up, but short of Gaborik, this is his team, and they made us all proud. It hurts to miss out of the playoffs, its going to be a long off season, but I think the future is bright,and am excited to see what new management does for the team

For what it's worth Jackets would've lost a head-to-head tiebreaker with the Wild as well. Jackets came up one point short.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
This hurts the most :( . Losing to a tiebreaker after having an insane March and April. Especially looking back and knowing that if there was just the right call made in a one situation, we would be the ones in the playoffs.

The worst part? I have to wait all the way until October to see the Columbus Blue Jackets play again.

VoiceOfReason

Dec 19, 2005
from parts unknown
I was pulling for you guys down the stretch. Your team deserved a much better fate. The league and its officials did just enough to get the Wings and Wild into the playoffs. Both will go down in 5 games.

Master Shake*

Take heart Columbus fans

Pens fan here but I was pulling for you guys. Was hoping the Deadwings would finally collapse, guess it will be next year. But oh well I digress. Anyways it was good to see you guys make a strong run. Next year you guys will make the playoffs. You are not one year wonders.

You have a very very good GM btw. Your future is bright. Look forward to some competitive rivalry if/when you move to our division.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
The worst part? I have to wait all the way until October to see the Columbus Blue Jackets play again.

We have the Falcons' playoff run to support - that would be a productive way to get ready for next year while watching Johansen, Prout and others getting some invaluable playoff experience...

Last edited:

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Or if the Refs would have had a pair of eyes in the Minny@Avs game it would have helped as well.
Probably one of the most one-sided reffing displays of the season in favor of the Wild.

Yeah that game was heavily slanted against the Avs. After the big start by Minny, the Avs owned the rest of the game. During that time they dealt with a no goal, controversial penalty while on the PK and the large amounts of hooking, holding and interference by the Wild. Then to have a Backstrom stand on his head didn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad