Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Discussion .[ MOD warning in the OP ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Evans found a gear we didn't know he had. Absolutely - full credit to him.

Kotkaniemi lost the gear he'd been showing. Is it gone forever? Of course not. Right now he looks as ineffective as Suzuki did for a month – remember the Suzuki from March, the player who was coasting aimlessly without producing? Unless Kotkaniemi is going through a unique problem, a week off and a playoff series is the perfect recipe for him to come out of a funk, just as Suzuki did. Much better chance of that happening than Staal playing like he's on Team Canada.
Maybe. I’m just pointing out that Staal wasn’t brought in to take KKs job like some here are saying in an effort to blame MB and Staal for KK being sat. This will be DDs call, and it’s 100% KKs fault he’s in this situation.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Evans found a gear we didn't know he had. Absolutely - full credit to him.

Kotkaniemi lost the gear he'd been showing. Is it gone forever? Of course not. Right now he looks as ineffective as Suzuki did for a month – remember the Suzuki from March, the player who was coasting aimlessly without producing? Unless Kotkaniemi is going through a unique problem, a week off and a playoff series is the perfect recipe for him to come out of a funk, just as Suzuki did. Much better chance of that happening than Staal playing like he's on Team Canada.

The bolded made me legit laugh.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Maybe. I’m just pointing out that Staal wasn’t brought in to take KKs job like some here are saying in an effort to blame MB and Staal for KK being sat. This will be DDs call, and it’s 100% KKs fault he’s in this situation.
Staal was likely brought in as a #4C, but if he's lost that spot to Evans what has he done to earn a spot over Kotkaniemi? If Staal was red-hot I'd see the argument. But he's not. In fact, he hasn't shown a hint of the drive or talent that Perry has shown, nor has he shown flashes of excellence that Kotkaniemi was showing just a few weeks ago.

Do we bank on Staal regaining his mojo from two/three years ago or Kotkaniemi regaining his mojo from two/three weeks ago? IMO there's more upside betting on the developing kid than the declining vet.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Staal was likely brought in as a #4C, but if he's lost that spot to Evans what has he done to earn a spot over Kotkaniemi? If Staal was red-hot I'd see the argument. But he's not. In fact, he hasn't shown a hint of the drive or talent that Perry has shown, nor has he shown flashes of excellence that Kotkaniemi was showing just a few weeks ago.

Do we bank on Staal regaining his mojo from two/three years ago or Kotkaniemi regaining his mojo from two/three weeks ago? IMO there's more upside betting on the developing kid than the declining vet.
DD will roll with whoever he thinks gives him the best chance to win. And whoever it is will be on a short leash. If he does in fact start the series with Staal, expect KK to get back in there is Staal continues to play uninspired hockey.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
DD will roll with whoever he thinks gives him the best chance to win. And whoever it is will be on a short leash. If he does in fact start the series with Staal, expect KK to get back in there is Staal continues to play uninspired hockey.
If Staal starts game-1, I sincerely hope it's because he shows something on the ice this week that he hasn't shown in the games. Otherwise, he's done nothing to earn that spot.

Reactions: Andrei79

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If Staal starts game-1, I sincerely hope it's because he shows something on the ice this week that he hasn't shown in the games. Otherwise, he's done nothing to earn that spot.
To be fair, KKs done nothing to earn it either. All comes down to who DD trusts more. Usually the vet gets first dibs.

Reactions: aresknights

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Weber apparently has ligament damage in his hand requiring off season surgery per Tony Marinaro of TSN690
Ya Weber’s hands this year we’re his biggest issues. Constantly mishandled the puck. Almost good news as it means that issue wasn’t pure age catching up to him. Though certainly doesn’t help us for this year. But I guess the fact they are waiting until the off-season to have the surgery means he’ll get back in the lineup. Hopefully the time off allowed to heal somewhat.

Reactions: donghabs98

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good news, Kypreos 'barely' gave montreal the chance of winning 1 game. That's the Karma we need. I don't think we will win a series, but man can they at least make sure the Leafs are beatup so they don't go much further either.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
To be fair, KKs done nothing to earn it either. All comes down to who DD trusts more. Usually the vet gets first dibs.
Staal's trustworthiness might prevent a mistake, but won't create a goal. Kotkaniemi might make a mistake that costs a goal, but if he's confident as he was in Feb./March he can create two or three goals.

The Habs don't have the luxury of playing a risk-free game. If we want a chance to win we need to choose more upside over less downside.

Reactions: Habssince89

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Staal's trustworthiness might prevent a mistake, but won't create a goal. Kotkaniemi might make a mistake that costs a goal, but if he's confident as he was in Feb./March he can create two or three goals.

The Habs don't have the luxury of playing a risk-free game. If we want a chance to win we need to choose more upside over less downside.
Leaf fans are having the same conversations, and likely will be starting Thornton over young options. Same on D for them, doubt Liljegren and Sandin get in there over some vet options they have as well.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Staal's on ice defensive numbers are the worst on the team. He's been on the ice for the most shots against, shot attempts against, unblocked shot attempts against and has the 2nd worst GA/60 only because the not-selke candidate Jonathan Drouin is worse.

The eye test says Staal is terrible and the numbers only amplify it. He shouldn't see a shift in the playoffs. There is no justification to him playing over any other healthy human being available on the roster.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

How we approach this series strategy wise will be interesting. Lately Dom has been coaching not to lose it seems. Arguably thats due to hoe depleted the team was but still, it felt like the Habs were trying to play risk free and safe. Now with players back and rest, there's no reason to not be more assertive. If we're playing to contain Toronto we will lose, there's no stopping their players from scoring. But what we can do is exploit their defense and goaltending.

Reactions: Lshap

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Good news, Kypreos 'barely' gave montreal the chance of winning 1 game. That's the Karma we need. I don't think we will win a series, but man can they at least make sure the Leafs are beatup so they don't go much further either.
One thing I wont like about this series is how bad the Toronto bias will be. Its bad in the regular season, it's going to be brutal in a series against them.

Reactions: Ozmodiar and Habs

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
One thing I wont like about this series is how bad the Toronto bias will be. Its bad in the regular season, it's going to be brutal in a series against them.

Its going to be the usual Sportsnet barf crew, so Leaf bias bigtime and old numbuts saying 'yeah... annnnnnd... '

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
E1R_ajyWYAcGPcd

Blues and Islanders look like solid bets given these odds

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its going to be the usual Sportsnet barf crew, so Leaf bias bigtime and old numbuts saying 'yeah... annnnnnd... '

I’m for anything that keeps TSN690’s Campbell, away from a play by play mic.

Reactions: McGees

Jul 6, 2016
Ya Weber’s hands this year we’re his biggest issues. Constantly mishandled the puck. Almost good news as it means that issue wasn’t pure age catching up to him. Though certainly doesn’t help us for this year. But I guess the fact they are waiting until the off-season to have the surgery means he’ll get back in the lineup. Hopefully the time off allowed to heal somewhat.

Was not able to handle the puck, make good passes or use his deadly shot. But was still good to cross checking opponents in the back.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Lmao, and yet Staals first game, 2nd line C and KK pushed to the wing.
KK has played like crap the passed month and a half there's no disputing that, but please with the "it's 100% on KK" , that's just stupid I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->