Series Talk: Playoff Brackets

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I know a lot of people complain about this, but I thought I will put this into perspective

If playoffs were to start today these are the match ups with the current set up

Eastern ConferenceWestern Conference
TBL(1) vs MTL(8)CGY(1) vs MIN(8)
BOS(2) vs TOR(3)SJS(2) vs VGK(5)
WSH(4) vs PIT(7)WPG(3) vs DAL(7)
NYI(5) vs CAR(6)NSH(4) vs STL(6)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is what it would look like in the old system

BOS(2) vs PIT(7)SJS(2) vs DAL(7)
TOR(3) vs CAR(6)WPG(3) vs STL(6)
WSH(4) vs NYI(5)NSH(4) vs VGK(5)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I have no idea why they messed it up.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
To create more divisional rivalries.

1st. Win your division (2 rounds)
2nd Win your conference
3rd Win the Stanley Cup

Seems perfectly logical.

Unfortunately at this point in time, the team we cheer for is in a tough division so we have a harder time getting out of the division. In a couple of years that could change and the Metro could have the powerhouse teams.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
To create more divisional rivalries.

1st. Win your division (2 rounds)
2nd Win your conference
3rd Win the Stanley Cup

Seems perfectly logical.

Unfortunately at this point in time, the team we cheer for is in a tough division so we have a harder time getting out of the division. In a couple of years that could change and the Metro could have the powerhouse teams.

Ya the good divisions are definitely cyclical.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I know a lot of people complain about this, but I thought I will put this into perspective

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Washington and Winnipeg should get #2 seed as you would still get that for winning your division

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
You can always find 'issues' with a playoff format. Back when it was 3 division per conference there was always a knock that the winner of the weakest division received too much of an advantage getting the 3rd seed when the were usually the 7th or 8th seeded team.

Reactions: egd27

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The 2 seed playing the 3 seed in the first round is a colossal fail by the NHL and they should own up to it.

I don't see TB, BOS or TOR dropping out of the top 3 in the east.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bob McKenzie said on the radio, the NHL has zero interest in changing the playoff format, he said it's not even on their radar.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Because Bettman is trying to draw fans in Carolina?????????????????? what a complete and total joke from fans to owner.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We wouldn't be 3 in the old format. The old format had the division leaders in the 1, 2, 3 slot.

Let's pretend it was 1 and 2 for the leader of the Atlantic and Metro since there are only two divisions. In that case we'd be the 4 seed.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It means nothing to Carolina if they play Isles, Washington or Leafs. People do not even know they are playing there the day of a playoff game. Most do not even know they have a freakin team or arena. Some do not even know what hockey is.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
It means nothing to Carolina if they play Isles, Washington or Leafs. People do not even know they are playing there the day of a playoff game. Most do not even know they have a freakin team or arena. Some do not even know what hockey is.

Big Canes fan, are ya?

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Because Bettman is trying to draw fans in Carolina?????????????????? what a complete and total joke from fans to owner.

Bettman is doing a great job. He works for the owners and they are very happy.

NHL isn’t changing the format ( and they shouldn’t). Time for the kids to move onto another topic.

Reactions: themilosh

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Big Canes fan, are ya?
Nah but I spent a few months in Raleigh about 10-15 years ago to re-org a 100 person satellite office and not one single person ever went to a Hurricanes game. And this was year or two after they won the Cup. Almost everybody was big into Nascar. I went a couple times but could not understand why it was jammed packed with fans. Loud and dirty place. Drinking hard from morning to night. Guys down there they play with their cars for fun on weekends. or shoot some hoops. Basically a car and basketball town.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bettman is doing a great job. He works for the owners and they are very happy.

NHL isn’t changing the format ( and they shouldn’t). Time for the kids to move onto another topic.
He works for about 2/3rds of owners and the other third go along. But players and fans are not with him at all. And if his self proclaimed /marketed US TV deal falls he may have to fall on his sword.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He works for about 2/3rds of owners and the other third go along. But players and fans are not with him at all. And if his self proclaimed /marketed US TV deal falls he may have to fall on his sword.

Fans and players don’t have to be “with him”. He works for the owners and only the owners.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Nah but I spent a few months in Raleigh about 10-15 years ago to re-org a 100 person satellite office and not one single person ever went to a Hurricanes game. And this was year or two after they won the Cup. Almost everybody was big into Nascar. I went a couple times but could not understand why it was jammed packed with fans. Loud and dirty place. Drinking hard from morning to night. Guys down there they play with their cars for fun on weekends. or shoot some hoops. Basically a car and basketball town.

They also into tobacco, big time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Either do 1 vs 8 or get rid of the WC and just make the first 2 rounds purely divisional with no crossover BS.

That's my thing. Knock it off with the Wildcard stuff.

I get one division has 1 less team, but who gives a crap. That is going to be balanced out with Seattle.

I don't care about playing Boston, that's not my issue. It's that Boston and Toronto, despite having better seasons, will get a harder match-up in each other, than Montreal will. It doesn't make sense.

Change the scheduling to where you play divisional teams more (don't need to play Western teams twice every season) and then the top 4 teams in the division make it.

Simple, Simple, Simple.

I really like Divisional Playoff concept. I like it more than Conference seeding. But the way the NHL does it is so f***ed up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->