Playmakers in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
The best playmaker from the WHL eligible this year is Chris Durand imo, but he has other issues. He has a nice stride and is overall a decent skater with room to improve, and he can pass the puck really well, but his consistency needs a lot of work. He had a terrible playoffs and faded down the stretch, and appears to have trouble if he faces any real resistance. Doesn't fight through checks enough and a bit too much of a perimiter player for a guy his size, and not very physical or strong on the puck. But he is definitely a great playmaker from what I've seen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
West19 said:
Who are some of the best playmakers/ have the best vision/ best passing skills in the 2005 draft? (besides Crosby)

Tom Fritsche from Ohio state and T J Hensick from Michigan. I'd even add Paul Stastny. Not saying they are the best playmakers in the draft but they can dish the puck no doubt.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Kopitar is a more like Tukonen than any playmaker... he is a playmaker, but when you think Kopitar, you think of Mats Sundin's unstoppable lateral drag. Zagrapan, Brule and Crosby have the best set-up skills of the 05 class.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Brule does not have elite playmaking skills. They aren't bad, but it definitely isn't his strong point. Offensively, his strength is his shot, and his weakness is his vision imo. In any case, he isn't a top playmaker in the draft by any stretch. I think he'll probably end up a winger, partly for that reason.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Greg7 said:
Brule does not have elite playmaking skills. They aren't bad, but it definitely isn't his strong point. Offensively, his strength is his shot, and his weakness is his vision imo. In any case, he isn't a top playmaker in the draft by any stretch. I think he'll probably end up a winger, partly for that reason.

Brule is the 2nd best goal scorer in the draft, thats all that matters.

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Greg7 said:

I disagree. I have watched Brule alot this year and he is a very, very good passer. His vision and hockey sense is excellent IMO.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
BeerTuzzi said:
I disagree. I have watched Brule alot this year and he is a very, very good passer. His vision and hockey sense is excellent IMO.

I agree, Brule is an elite playmaker. He sets up team mates for several point blank chances every game without result. His playmaking skills are actually very under rated because of a lack of finishing ability from his team mates.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stiffler's Mom said:
I agree, Brule is an elite playmaker. He sets up team mates for several point blank chances every game without result. His playmaking skills are actually very under rated because of a lack of finishing ability from his team mates.
Couldn't have said it better myself. His teammates don't make him look good in this regard.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Brule's playmaking is not underrated, and it can't be blamed on his linemates. Mitch Bartley is one of the better goal scorers in the WHL. It's not as if he makes great passes that his linemates botch, he simply doesn't use his linemates. He is still a good passer in the WHL, but he is not even near an elite playmaking prospect. Just on his own team, Courchaine and Meszaros were significantly better passers with better vision. His strength is his shot and goalscoring ability, not his passing. Still a fine prospect, just not that great of a playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad