Playing with a weak D partner

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
As I said before, I've been moved back to play defense.
I can't really say that I enjoy it, because I'm used to being an offensive player. Anyway, our team is still trying to "adjust lines" and people are playing different positions. But me. The girl playing defense with me is one of our weaker players.
How do I play with her and still keep my game? I feel like I'm always running around trying to get in the shooting lanes. I'm fast enough and have strong enough hockey sense to recover if I make a mistake.

What do I do? I want to keep contributing to the team offensivley but I also want to play strong defense.

Here's an example of what I mean. The last game the other team kept going for a backdoor play and they kept going for 2 on 1s. I would play the pass, taking away their shooting lane where my partner was either JUST coming back or she would be standing along the boards.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Ti-girl said:
As I said before, I've been moved back to play defense.
I can't really say that I enjoy it, because I'm used to being an offensive player. Anyway, our team is still trying to "adjust lines" and people are playing different positions. But me. The girl playing defense with me is one of our weaker players.
How do I play with her and still keep my game? I feel like I'm always running around trying to get in the shooting lanes. I'm fast enough and have strong enough hockey sense to recover if I make a mistake.

What do I do? I want to keep contributing to the team offensivley but I also want to play strong defense.

Here's an example of what I mean. The last game the other team kept going for a backdoor play and they kept going for 2 on 1s. I would play the pass, taking away their shooting lane where my partner was either JUST coming back or she would be standing along the boards.

Don't ask me, I'm usually the weak d partner.

Best thing you can do is keep chatting with her. Point out (nicely) the changes she might consider making in certain situations.

This thread reminds me of that Oilers story:
Sather is coaching and he's ticked off because the two dmen getting off the ice just allowed goal on some sloppy play. Sather says to his assistant coach "Go talk to them!". The assistant goes over and before he can say anthying, one of the dmen says 'Ok, next shift, you fall down and I'll cough up the puck'.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I'm a forward but spent a lot of time playing D this year. There were times when I was the weaker of the two and times where I was the stronger one. When I was paired with the stronger player I would do whatever he told me. I would let him pick the side he felt most comfortable with and play the other. I would ask him where do you want me and what do you want me to do. When I was paired with the weaker guy I told him pretty much what the other guy told me. Then I tried to play similar to the the way I saw the stronger guy play. I know it sounds stupid, but it actually worked pretty well. The biggest thing is communication. Talk with your partner on the ice as well as on the bench and always listen to your goalie. Most importantly, defense comes first. It's ok to chip in but not if it leads to scoring chances for the other team.

On that 2 on 1. The girl coming late should get in a position to cover the player without the puck. You're playing the pass, the goalie is playing the shooter, but no one is playing the rebound or the player who could receive the pass if it's made.

What I have tried to do is keep things simple. I look to make the smart safe play. I don't want to get burned and leave my partner and/or my goalie out to dry. I've enjoyed playing a lot of D. I get tons of ice time since we usually rotate 3 D. I like the challenge of shutting down some really really good players. It's nice to break up the guy that you watch in awe as he plays and wish you could play like that. The guys have recognized my willingness to play wherever needed. At times even offering to play D so I can get some time up front.

I'm no coach and I'm not Bobby Orr so take it for what it's worth.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Keep in mind that the defensive play of your centers can help a lot. Consider them in the equation - and if mentoring your weaker partner doesn't work, talk with the centers privately about what they can do to help out.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I had this happen to me last adult league session. We had a true noob out there, and I was paired up with her. I actually got praised for my play. I just played my game, skated hard...told the girl to pretty much stay in front of the net and get in the opposition players way and lemme handle other things. Also told her to hang back and be more defensive minded...I don't care if we don't score, just don't wanna be the one causing us to lose by giving up a ton.

donelikedinner

Jan 25, 2003
In a house
Visit site
the winger on her side must play more defensive to help her out when the play is towards her. to be effective, your wingers need to be willing to pick up players along the boards so that you can play the center of the ice.

otherwise, all you can do is play soft to make sure that you can fill up the slot and catch any opposing player trying to skate between the two of you or trying to wide around you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->