Playing Through Pain - NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for them, what hockey players do is amazing. Baseball players pull muscles sneezing, hockey players play on broken bones.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Definitely some of the toughest athletes is sports. I'd probably say on average hockey players tend to be tougher, especially in terms of playing through injuries, than most other sports. The only others I could say come close is football and probably rugby. (Don't know much about rugby)

All leagues however have at least a few players whom will play through the injuries, that we know of. For instance Curt Shilling, whom pitched on a bad ankle, Willis Reed of the Knicks played through a torn muscle in his thigh, so playing through injuries isn't just the NHL's players.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Definitely some of the toughest athletes is sports. I'd probably say on average hockey players tend to be tougher, especially in terms of playing through injuries, than most other sports. The only others I could say come close is football and probably rugby. (Don't know much about rugby)

All leagues however have at least a few players whom will play through the injuries, that we know of. For instance Curt Shilling, whom pitched on a bad ankle, Willis Reed of the Knicks played through a torn muscle in his thigh, so playing through injuries isn't just the NHL's players.

It just makes it that much more embarrassing looking back at the Derrick Rose debacle. The guy sits out long after he's been cleared to play for whatever reason and then when the media addresses it he states he doesn't want to push himself because he might be sore when he's older and retired... Meanwhile you have Oduya who's playing with one arm in a legit contact sport and the dude makes nowhere near as much money AND it's the postseason where he's not even getting paid.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
how'd that work out for ryan mcdonagh and the rangers? this hockey machoism is often far more detrimental than it is useful.

Since we are going by anecdotal evidence - a counterpoint would be when it worked out pretty well for Yzerman, who won a gold medal and Stanley Cup in 2002 with a seriously injured knee. Let the player, coaching staff, and team medical staff make the call, which will vary significantly based on the circumstances.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Since we are going by anecdotal evidence - a counterpoint would be when it worked out pretty well for Yzerman, who won a gold medal and Stanley Cup in 2002 with a seriously injured knee. Let the player, coaching staff, and team medical staff make the call, which will vary significantly based on the circumstances.

there's a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. and for every yzerman, there're are a **** ton of mcdonagh's

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
there's a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. and for every yzerman, there're are a **** ton of mcdonagh's

Do you have any numbers to back-up this claim?

As for the difference between playing hurt and injured, once again - let the player, coaching staff, and team medical staff make the call, which will vary significantly based on the circumstances.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Do you have any numbers to back-up this claim?

As for the difference between playing hurt and injured, once again - let the player, coaching staff, and team medical staff make the call, which will vary significantly based on the circumstances.

they scratched a forward, an already offensively challenged team, scratched a forward, to play him.

but that's not cause for concern right?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm pretty sure Ryan McDonagh was not the reason the Rangers lost in the playoffs. He played big minutes and wasn't responsible for any goals against after breaking his foot. Absolute warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad