Playing through pain - is it stupid?

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Reading the Clarkson thread and especially the part where it says that he played with back pains for years I asked myself the question if it is stupid to play through the pain and if someone should have stopped him to do so. I know you get the label warrior when you play through it, but ultimately you risk your long term health and possibly you shorten your career. The game is so much faster now than it was even 10 years ago and this has to affect how long you can play the game. I don't have any data but I feel like more and more players finish their career earlier because they just can play anymore. Wouldn't it be better to let a player heal until he is 100% good to go instead of letting him "play through it". This seems like a bad asset managment to me, or is short term success that much important?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Same as above. For example, Rielly is playing through a high ankle sprain, but has been cleared by doctors because there is no increased chance of further injury.

I haven't read up on the Clarkson situation, but it seems like it was a doctor's missed it/misdiagnosis. Some injuries you have pain, but you just can't tell exactly what is happening and just think it's uncomfortable but not serious. There are times you can play through injuries and times you cant/shouldn't.

Bergeron got a lot of praise for playing through injuries for Bruins cup, but the more I hear about these career injuries the more I think that was a case of being stupid. He had a paetially collapsed lung among broken ribs and could definitely havery further injured/even killed himself if those injuries that wereally reported we're serious.

I'd be pissued if a Leaf sat out a game that he was cleared for and we missed the playoffs/lost a series/cup, but sometimes you gotta put your health ahead of hockey. If there are no increased risk of injury, play through the pain. If not, it isn't worth it....

Edit: I've played through injuries that could've gotten worse (and sometimes did) because I love the sports I play and the same is going to happen with NHLers, but sometimes you need to take a step back so your career doesn't end like Horton, Clarkson, Savard, Lindros, Pronger, etc.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Logically and objectively: Yes, it's probably pretty stupid.

That doesn't mean it doesn't and won't continue to happen. These are athletes and competitors that love to play and have likely been taught to "be tough" and "play through the pain" their entire playing career. They understand there are inherebt risks (generally) of playing in pain and decide whether or not is worth it to them to play through or not.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Depends on the injury + situation. Playoffs / contract years especially.

But I do think that coaches need to be more forceful with telling injured players they aren't going to suit up. I've seen more than one instance of a guy being tough turning into a liability on the ice.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
"If he plays on it, can he hurt it any worse?"

Sometimes it is stupid, sometimes it isn't.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
Its a tough situation for a player. Take a few games out for something you could play through, however uncomfortably, and maybe the player that comes in to replace you performs well and you are out of a job and it could alter your career.

Besides that, hockey is just considered a "tough" sport so if you don't play through aches and pains you would most likely get a bad reputation and again, that could be career altering.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Honestly, for the most part, we have to protect the players from themselves. Hockey players will play through almost anything. It's an ego / culture thing.

As to your question, there are 2 issues:

1. Will further participation have long term consequences? How much? And what is our pain threshold? We all have different values.

2. Will not participating hurt my chances on keeping a roster spot?

Like I said, players have so many moving parts to consider. Hence, it's the job of independent experts to help / make that decision for the players. We need to just isolate it as a health decision and nothing else.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Playing through pain is about as stupid as it gets. Yet a lot of players (pro and amateur) do it anyhow. It extends healing time. Could make the injury worse and in some cases could make overall quality of life become terrible if injury becomes untreatable because of "playing through pain".

The worse part is, a player that successfully carries his team while playing through pain is considered a hero or almost god like.

These guys are pros but they are people with lives outside of hockey, families and eventually, they have to grow old and try and live with everything the rest of us deal with when we retire. From boredom to health issues ect.

Playing through pain is something that should not be encouraged unless we're talking about something so minor it will heal regardless.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
:laugh: Easy there hero boy.

Let's be honest. Hockey players can get pretty stupid playing through injuries ... especially in the playoffs. I've actually heard other pro athletes (football) who believe hockey players are insane. Heck, I played D1 football and KNOW hockey players are insane on and off the ice. This is NOT "libel." Hockey players are CRAZY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad