Great Britain: Playing Pro Hockey in Edinburgh - Michael D'Orazio tells all

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Reactions: Rigafan

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Solid work, interesting to hear from someone who went across the pond for hockey

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I've been casually following the Edinburgh Capitals and it seemed like they had a pretty die hard, albeit small, following. Do you know what the rationale behind this decision was?

Yes the Edin Capitals did have their small, hardcore, fanbase. It was usually around 600-800 per game (which for the EIHL is just under unsustainable) when they needed to get at least 1,000.

The rink is old. The boards are concrete for example and there are pillars in the way of some views! anyway back to topic,

Caps have always struggled and their avg of 600 fans didn't help. Management was stagnant and didn't ever really listen to ideas or anything. They linked up with Ak Bars in some way for last season - didn't work out. They announced big changes to the back room staff and a new business plan and sponsorship.

Then they go bankrupt mid last season and make a deal with the rink to continue playing rather than folding. They they go tot he rink to renew the ice time deal but the Racers Ltd have also gone to the rink. Racers are new, have a good business plan, have money in the bank and have certain people (Tony Hand for example) involved - while the Capitals are bankrupt. The rink awards the contract to the Racers Ltd so Capitals have no where to play. The league said they'll deal with whoever has an ice time contract with the rink (Racers do) but for some reason they've refused to deal with them now and not really given an explanation.

The rumor now is that Hull Pirates from the Semi Pro league below will take the 12th spot in the league.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reactions: Rigafan

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Rink in Edinburgh at Murrayfield was an absolute shithole. Even Kirkcaldy was bad skating on it as a kid, although it may have improved since. I remember looking at how brown the ice was around the edges and wondering why they let it get to that stage. Best rinks in terms of cleanliness and facilities for hockey were Aberdeen and Dundee, but Aberdeen's is too small.

Skating options are severely limited in this country.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
Really interesting read there, as someone that grew up in New York Islanders territory, moved to Montréal for 7 years and now spend my days living in Ireland it's quite a relatable story in terms of opportunities and travel. I haven't laced up the skates to play for years now as there are only pop up rinks during the winter so I'll head to those with the woman and I always get someone, usually rink guards ironically enough, that ask me how I skate so well :laugh:

It's a shame Edinburgh won't be in the league next year. I love attending Belfast games as there is a genuine following up there and it really is a fun experience. I feel like ice hockey could be big in Ireland if it wasn't so expensive to get going. Considering hurling similar in ways to hockey, I'd say hockey could catch.

As for hockey being Canada's sport, as far as I know the story goes that British soldiers invented the game while stationed in Canada. Technically a British idea I suppose? I know yous won a gold what... about a hundred years ago over Canada? Maybe let the Canadians have this one, do yous really want to be the country to invent sports and lose in them all the time ala football and cricket? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->