Playing my first organized hockey game

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
So this week I'll be playing my first organized hockey game. Coudln't happen at a worse timing, since I haven't skated since January.

A little background: I got into a really bad ATV accident at age 19 years of age. I didn't pick up skating again until 26 or 27, mainly due to psychological reasons, but found free time and the guts to get back.

So for the past 3 or 4 years, I've been going to stick and puck sessions, a few shinnys and fun skates to keep up with hockey and skating.

I'll be honest, it isn't that great. I will overskate a puck, trip here and there, and possibly won't be able to do a quick stop when required. My cardio is great, I'm in good shape, eat healthy and all. I played a lot of ball hockey.

With all of this, I agreed to play for a rec/beer league team, they needed players and I've been considering it for a while. With all my skating weaknesses, should I give it a go? Be honest. I don't want to disappoint the guys seeing how bad I could possibly be, they do know I'm a complete newb but they accepted me anyway.

Im already commited for one game. Any tips? Should I back out from the rest of the games they signed up for?

Reactions: Primary Assist

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Yes you should give it a go! Your friends won't mind if you take awhile to get up to speed or if you make some rookie mistakes.

For some tips:
1 - Take short shifts. It doesn't matter how good your cardio is, there's a huge difference between being in hockey shape and being in shape. So you will get winded if you stay out for too long, and this will actually annoy your teammates if you take away their ice time.
2 - Head-Stick-Skates. Keep your head up, stick on the ice, and skates facing north (towards the other team's net). Keeping your head up sounds obvious, but make sure that if you don't have the puck on your stick then your eyes are on the puck/puck carrier at all times. Stick on the ice also sounds obvious, but remember that you could receive a pass or use your stick to break up a pass at any time. The best players are able to anticipate these surprises, and you won't be able to act on them if your stick blade is up in the air. As for your skates, when the puck is on your stick (or your teammate's stick) you're going to start skating towards the other team's net under basically any circumstance. So save yourself some time and keep your skates pointed north so you're ready to break out, attack the net, or forecheck at any second.
3 - Know your position. Read up online about the basic defensive responsibilities for your role on the ice. Positional hockey can quickly fall by the wayside in adult league hockey, which makes life a lot more difficult for your goalies and for the whole team. Play a conservative, positional approach when you first start and focus on keeping the puck off your opponents' sticks or keeping your opponents to the perimeter.

And that's about it for the wall of text. Most importantly out of all this tips, just have fun. Your first game will be over before you know it, and then your second game, and then your third game, and then you'll be a vet in no time. So just enjoy the ride, have fun, play clean, and be happy you get to play the absolute best game out there.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Im already commited for one game. Any tips? Should I back out from the rest of the games they signed up for?

Just go and have fun.

Look, I get not wanting to embarrass yourself. I only started playing in my 40s. But most hockey players are completely understanding that this is rec league hockey and everyone is just out there to have fun. I can't give much more advise than keep your shifts short.

If it turns out you're with a bunch of over-serious try-hards then re-assess after your first game, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be looking forward to a fun season of hockey.

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Thanks guys. Got the first game outta the way.

Skating was a bit of an issue but nothing too crazy. It's crazy how fast things move with the more speedy and experienced players. Playing in shinny it definitely wasn't this fast. I managed to get the puck once and it was taken away from me so quickly.

The rest of the time I was moving without the puck on the ice and keeping an eye on the point man when they were on our end. My teammates had to coach me in that area because I'd end up going deep into the zone, leaving the defenders wide open for an easy shot.

Throwing myself right into the fire was a good decision though. I got lots of work to do, specially being more agile and fluid.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
There are rec. games geared towards newer players, older guys and intermediate level. Those games are great for beginners because it lets them carry the puck and get experience making plays. But playing with fast guys is good too..it kinda forces you to swim with the sharks.

Keep at it...you'll be surprised how fast you improve. Don't forget, you're not trying if you don't fall.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don't be scared either to try new positions if you get a chance.

I play with a wide-range of skill-levels, quite a few beginners like yourself. One comment I've noticed from a few of them now was when they tried playing D instead of on the wing it helped them really understand the game better, get a feel for not only their positioning but the positioning of everyone else. They also got more touches of the puck and weren't as reliant on other players to get them touches as they can let the game come to them more. Some were intimidated playing D at first because their back-wards skating wasn't very good but it got better and their development was better off in the long run.

And like everyone else has said, just have fun and enjoy it.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
At the start of your first game you gotta go up to the biggest guy you can find and start punching him in the face... that way everyone will know not to mess with you

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
At the start of your first game you gotta go up to the biggest guy you can find and start punching him in the face... that way everyone will know not to mess with you
But first, be sure to let the air outta all of the tires of his monster truck. And remove all weapons from it.

Reactions: Pete Dunham

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not to discourage you, but maybe find a lower level of competition to play with/against as you warm up to it and get better. touching the puck once only to be stripped immediately doesn't sound that fun and means you might have been a little in over your head.

I know in my area the talent in the leagues is split up by division and can vary greatly from division to division. A, or the top division has guys who played travel hockey and even some NCAA hockey and Junior A hockey, while the bottom divisions have older guys and guys who are just learning to play the game.

just a suggestion but keep at it.

krown

Apr 25, 2007
vancouver
The fact you played your first game, and already talking about your second game indicates it was a success.

Great work!

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Played another one today. This one was quite interesting. The opposing players weren't as good as the last game, which is why I got like 15 seconds or so of puck time to myself. Stumbled once due to being a bad skater.

The bad: This game the point man was more adventurous, attacking the net. I missed him on one play and was called out by my team.

Since this game was close, and lots of penalties, I voluntarily sat some of the PKs and Powerplays. My first powerplay wasn't good, as I lost the puck. Because of me we couldn't keep it in the zone and keep the pressure on. So I sat the rest of the PK and PP, PK specially. I chose to sit because it was a really tight game, and didn't want to cost the team a win. We won 2-1.

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Not to discourage you, but maybe find a lower level of competition to play with/against as you warm up to it and get better. touching the puck once only to be stripped immediately doesn't sound that fun and means you might have been a little in over your head.

I know in my area the talent in the leagues is split up by division and can vary greatly from division to division. A, or the top division has guys who played travel hockey and even some NCAA hockey and Junior A hockey, while the bottom divisions have older guys and guys who are just learning to play the game.

just a suggestion but keep at it.

Definitely. I'm looking at that and I think that will be more beneficial.

Can anyone in the Greater Toronto Area recommend anything? I've seen ASHL.

Canlan had some training programs for new players, but I feel I will probably do better skating in a game, than doing drills. Skating I can work on in stick and puck sessions or shinny if they ever come back.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated. I wanna keep playing this game as long as I can.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Any additional ideas would be appreciated. I wanna keep playing this game as long as I can.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so just keep playing. Keep going to your stick and puck practice sessions as they'll help with specific skills you really can't practice in a game.

Also, look into an novice adult hockey clinic, it'll help you learn a lot and get to practice skills you won't even think about practicing at stick and puck. Having some coaching will go a long way.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Come winter, get yourself to your local outdoor ice rink (ODR) as often as you can - assuming they are open this year. Being an outdoor activity which everyone says is safer they hopefully should be.

At worst the rink will be kind of full and you can see about getting a pick-up game going. But there may be few people there, or even when you get the ice all to yourself, where you can just go out and work on some skills. Find some basic drills online to try and work on your skating and puckhandling. Work on your edges.

I know for myself I play defence, and while I do get some touches I probably don't have the puck on my stick for more than a minute per game (and probably less than that) so working on puckhandling is always a benefit.

Depending on how far you want to go, try volunteering as a coach for a minor hockey team. You're not directly working on your own skills, but just the amount of time spent on ice, time demoing drills, chasing after kids, and just corralling the pucks has really helped my own game.

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Great advice.

4th game today. First game where I was able to get two shots on net.

My teammate after the game said: I gotta hold my stick with both hands as the right wing, that way I receive the puck when they pass it to me, instead of missing it. I don't know where I got this habit from.

I was also told that right now I'm just reacting to what's happening on the ice, rather than anticipating. I agreed, because while I'm playing I have to keep thinking about keeping my balance, not falling etc.

Last: they recommended I get a figure skating coach. They had a few stories of how figure skaters transition to hockey quite smoothly.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
^ That seems like a bit much for where the poster is at right now.

I'd say go to Shinny, stick and puck and just get out on the ice as much as you can. Edge control and getting comfortable on your edges is probably the biggest thing to work on at this juncture.

Reactions: Laodongxi and HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Go to as many public skates and stick and pucks as you can to feel as comfortable as you can on your skates/work on your edges/handle the puck. Be cognizant of your edges (inside and outside edges on both skates). Think about and realize how each edge (and where on the edge--middle of the blade, front portion, back heel portion-- all sections have specific roles in where you balance depending on what youre doing) is working to propel you, turn you, transition you, move you laterally etc etc. Think more about how your edges are carving the ice, it's a skill. Don't just glide around. Constantly think how youre using the edges, transition from one edge to another during stick and puck/public skates. After a while it becomes natural and you won't have to think about it.

At the gym or home do a bunch of leg stuff. Single leg stuff. Never underestimate the importance of single leg exercises and it's transference to skating. Pistol squats on an elevate platform etc....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad