Goalies: Playing for the first time in years, any good advice?

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
I played goal when I was younger, but sadly when I turned 13 and started to grow mom couldn't afford it anymore. Played a few games since in other peoples gear but mainly have played center or wing the past little while.

Just bought new equipment because I've wanted to play again for a long time. Excited but nervous as well. It's only going to be drop in shinny hockey at first so I'm not worried about people going too crazy but any advice is appreciated.

Aside from breaking in the goalie skates themselves, any other pointers you can give?

Thanks.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
That's exciting! I'm usually pumped just getting back in the net after a month off - I can't imagine spending years away. Good luck! Just a few pointers:

Stretch, obviously. Not just before or after the game, but every single day. I take about 15 minutes every night, just before bed.

I'd get to the rink early, or spend some time at home beforehand, to dial in your equipment just right. It's always a process to get your strapping just right, but taking some time beforehand will make sure you aren't struggling with your equipment while you're trying to stop pucks.

Warm ups are going to be huge for you. Talk to your skaters before you head out for warmups about what you'd like from them to help get you ready. Especially at pickups, most guys don't know how to warm up a goalie and will immediately start coming at you with their best Datsyuk impressions, which is the absolutely last thing any goalie wants, let alone one who has been away for so long. Ask them to start with some shots from far out, near the blue line, progressively coming in a little closer. Stay in communication with them and feel free to let them know what you need, and just ignore the ones who are doing anything counterproductive to you getting ready.

On your end, I don't even both dropping for the first few shots of warmups. Watch the puck and track it the full way, just letting it hit you. Get your eyes ready first and foremost, and then start getting your body warm. Once you have a feel for the long ones, you can have guys start moving in a little closer.

Don't hesitate to check your posts. Your positioning might be a little off after so many years gone, so try to be cognizant of where you are at in net.

Other than that, obviously just have fun!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
big nailed most of it.

Also, be prepared to give up a ton of goals. Goaltending is not like riding a bike. You do forget how to play. Good Luck and have fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->