Playerunknown's battleground

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm probably around 20% or so, but at the same time my highest number of kills is 4, and I've only done it once. :laugh: Stealth for the win.
Same for me, i was in the top 50k in the rankings but lately I've really been trying to force myself towards combat early on even if means dying. The better I get at combat the better I'll be in the long run. Getting certain guns down, controlling my heart from racing, etc.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I really hate this game sometimes. Drop Pochinki and come out with 8 kills only to run into hackers as I was leaving. Server issues, inconsistencies with where your reticle is and where you're actually hitting apparently. It can be a fun game and I've got about 500 hours into it but god damn it's still so broken.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
So what's the deal with this game? My younger brother has won like 5 times since it came out on the xbox and he plays primarily stealthy, just surviving with ok guns and ambushing someone at the end to stock up on what they looted.

I'm playing all out from the moment I drop, picking my places reasonably close to others, playing the wall and people trailing, picking buildings in the thick at the end, etc. I haven't won, but I've been top 3 several times by now and always get a bit overzealous dying to someone else picking me off as I mop up the top 10.

Does the game favor stealth? The combat controls seem to be so rough around the edges that my play style might be my downfall, aiming isn't very tight (CoD, BF, etc) and the controls on the XB1 are awful. My least favorite part of this game is 3rd person aiming isn't in sync with bullet placement, a shotgun blast on target will hit just to the side of someone or hit a wall, etc.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So what's the deal with this game? My younger brother has won like 5 times since it came out on the xbox and he plays primarily stealthy, just surviving with ok guns and ambushing someone at the end to stock up on what they looted.

I'm playing all out from the moment I drop, picking my places reasonably close to others, playing the wall and people trailing, picking buildings in the thick at the end, etc. I haven't won, but I've been top 3 several times by now and always get a bit overzealous dying to someone else picking me off as I mop up the top 10.

Does the game favor stealth? The combat controls seem to be so rough around the edges that my play style might be my downfall, aiming isn't very tight (CoD, BF, etc) and the controls on the XB1 are awful. My least favorite part of this game is 3rd person aiming isn't in sync with bullet placement, a shotgun blast on target will hit just to the side of someone or hit a wall, etc.

It just depends. Obviously you want some decent weapons and gear but my friend won a game by hiding in the weeds and not killing one person. The circle needs to favor you in this situation as you expose yourself when you have to move. I like to engage people early in solo, get my gear and then get stealthy.

The controls are very heavy and close in fire fights are challenging to aim and move. Long shots are easier.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It just depends. Obviously you want some decent weapons and gear but my friend won a game by hiding in the weeds and not killing one person. The circle needs to favor you in this situation as you expose yourself when you have to move. I like to engage people early in solo, get my gear and then get stealthy.

The controls are very heavy and close in fire fights are challenging to aim and move. Long shots are easier.

What's your goal then, to get gear and get into the middle of the circle asap? Time it so you're always just on the edge of the circle?

I see the long shots are easier part, especially on console. I still don't understand how my shotgun shots miss so much.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What's your goal then, to get gear and get into the middle of the circle asap? Time it so you're always just on the edge of the circle?

I see the long shots are easier part, especially on console. I still don't understand how my shotgun shots miss so much.

There isn't one be all end all strategy, you have to adjust based on the situation. It's just something you'll learn with practice. And there isn't a specific playstyle that's any more favored than another. Honestly it's mostly luck in this game. You have to get lucky with loot, lucky with your positioning, lucky with the circles positioning, lucky when it comes to where other teams are. I mean some of it takes skill and know how, but a lot of it will always be luck. I've had days where my squad has won 5 dinners in a row and 7 in a day, and I've had stretches where we don't win for a week.

I can't really speak to the Xbox controls and how they affect the gameplay on Xbox because I've only played on PC though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Different styles for different people. It's also different if you're playing solo, duos, or squads.

I don't like to drop in high populated areas solos because of the lag in the early game. Recently I was popped because I couldn't load a shotgun due to rubber banding issues not allowing me to pick up the ammo on the floor. I didn't die because I'm bad, I died because the game doesn't run smoothly and I find that to be frustrating.

Playing the edge of the circle can be good, but it leaves you vulnerable to be screwed by a bad circle. The benefit of playing the edge is obviously that you're eliminating one side that people can attack you from, so it narrows down what you have to focus on. One of the other negatives to playing the edge is that it eliminates a path for you to take if you get into trouble, and a lot of times people don't think of it that way. If someone notices you and you're stuck behind a rock at the very edge, well, you better hope you win the battle because there's no alternative.

If you play the middle of the map after looting up, you have to move a lot less but the threats can come from any direction. It's not uncommon for multiple people or squads to roll up into the same area at the same time and have multiple people/groups fighting it out over prime real estate in the middle of the map. However, if you're geared up a bit and can control the map from the center, you're in a really strong position.

I like to combine the two strategies a bit when I'm playing alone. I drop in areas that can get people but aren't crazy populated (i.e. the mansions), get some decent loot and a kill or two, then move on to the zone. Playing the very edge of the circle can be hard, so I play inside it by a good margin and clear areas of space (late game, I try to control like a 1/4 or 1/5 of the circle space). I then know for certain I don't have anyone in a particular region and can use all of that space to maneuver without much worry. If I get noticed or am in a bad spot for an engagement? No worries, I know the area behind me is likely clear and I can disengage and move to another location. Generally I don't like to shoot unless I know I can secure the kill. No sense in giving up your location to other people if you can't get the kill. If you're down to the top 3 players, try and get the other two guys to engage each other. It will give up their position if you don't know where they are and it will allow you to take advantage of them being distracted by either killing the victor or by moving to a more favorable position.

That said, there is no wrong or right way to play. The objective is to a) be the last person standing and/or b) to enjoy yourself. As long as you're doing those two things it doesn't matter what strategy you employ. Some people are good enough to secure 15 kills in a round and win. I'm not, so I don't play in that particular style. I've also goofed around trying ridiculous things to try and win or just have fun. Cars only, boats only, that sort of thing.

Just to note, I do play on PC and have no experience playing on console. There may be slight differences in strategy because of the limitations for the controls.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
There are settings on the Xbox for deadzone as far as targeting sensitivity you can adjust. They are preset at 10. I like to be on the outside of the circle near the final few but you can get screwed with distances to cover towards the end. My friends like to be dead center but than you are defending every direction.

It there are lots of people I prefer to let them duke it out. Suppressors and flash hiders come in really handy towards the end.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
You'll finish in the top 10 most often if you play stealthy in solos. In solos I like to find a gun and at least level one armor, helmet, and backpack. Once I have that, I just ambush people and take their stuff. It's different in duos and squads though because it's much more challenging to wipe a squad than it is the ambush one guy and take his stuff.

This is only have 300 hours or so playing the game. When you're first starting out, just do hot drop after hot drop and battle it out with everyone to get used to the combat and guns. Once you're proficient with the map and guns, stealthy is the way to go if you want to win games. Won't get you very many kills though and it certainly can be boring.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
That's the great thing about this game. It's not so run and gun and it can be very calm 95% of the game with drips of 5% mayhem and terror. lol. I have literally jumped out of my seat when I have gone around a corner in a house and seen a guy there.

You risk yourself every time you continue to loot for better stuff.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
You should expect people in every building you go into after the 2nd circle, never take things for granted!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
You should expect people in every building you go into after the 2nd circle, never take things for granted!
Yep. One cheap tactic I used to use in solos was to place a first aid kit in the most visible loot drop of a building to make people think the house has to be unlooted(who would just leave a first aid kit) and roast the guy as he walked to pick it up. Super cheap tactic but it scored me quite a few kills when I first started lol.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Haven't played in awhile but looking forward to using the notes you guys gave above, much appreciated. I don't think I'm ever quite going to be ok winning on stealth and a slow paced play. I guess if I win that will make it that much more rewarding. I'm the guy that does a couple passes on a house and runs in if the doors are closed and figures it empty if I see the health pack. Then dies to the ever patient guy sitting in a closet that just happened to be in a low opportunity building looking for someone like me to come in and probably listening on a crazy sensitive headset while I blast music.

I had fun one time, I was almost dead and in a dying car with 20 left to go. The circle was closing on a bridge and I had no way to take it so late in the game. So I kamikazed into another car parked next to two people fighting around it and killed the 3 of us.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Haven't played in awhile but looking forward to using the notes you guys gave above, much appreciated. I don't think I'm ever quite going to be ok winning on stealth and a slow paced play. I guess if I win that will make it that much more rewarding. I'm the guy that does a couple passes on a house and runs in if the doors are closed and figures it empty if I see the health pack. Then dies to the ever patient guy sitting in a closet that just happened to be in a low opportunity building looking for someone like me to come in and probably listening on a crazy sensitive headset while I blast music.

I had fun one time, I was almost dead and in a dying car with 20 left to go. The circle was closing on a bridge and I had no way to take it so late in the game. So I kamikazed into another car parked next to two people fighting around it and killed the 3 of us.
You can definitely still win that way, you just have to be really skilled(which I'm certainly not lol). I think the music might be a big hindrance though. Sound is really important in this game.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Has anyone had any luck syncing a PS4 controller to the layout buttons in the game? I have the app DS4Windows which makes it possible and some of the controls work fine but the sprint w/ forward key seems to be an issue.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Don't play with music on. The sound is so valuable.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Finally got it. Played maybe 10 games. Always been top 20. Amazing how many people just run and gun. Got top 6 two times.

Some of the killcams have made me WTF??? Like their crosshairs are pretty far off. And im sniped from what seems like a mile away. Are those the hackers?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Finally got it. Played maybe 10 games. Always been top 20. Amazing how many people just run and gun. Got top 6 two times.

Some of the killcams have made me WTF??? Like their crosshairs are pretty far off. And im sniped from what seems like a mile away. Are those the hackers?

If they're shooting you from far distances they have to lead you a bit if you're running side to side. This isn't a hit scan game where what you point out definitely gets hit, the bullets are projectiles (like in real life) that require you to adjust for distance and speed of your target.

Edit: Was in a hurry and forgot to mention what SeidoN did. The cameras often glitch out and don't show an accurate representation of players shooting as well. It doesn't mean people aren't hacking, but it's not a definitive answer one way or the other. If you're questioning, I'd recommend reporting and letting them take a look at it.

Yes my surround sound headphones (7.1) are incredibly helpful!

I've read that surround sound setting on your machine are bad for locating sound, but you've had the opposite effect?

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

spectating teammates and killcams are really innacurate.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If they're shooting you from far distances they have to lead you a bit if you're running side to side. This isn't a hit scan game where what you point out definitely gets hit, the bullets are projectiles (like in real life) that require you to adjust for distance and speed of your target.

Edit: Was in a hurry and forgot to mention what SeidoN did. The cameras often glitch out and don't show an accurate representation of players shooting as well. It doesn't mean people aren't hacking, but it's not a definitive answer one way or the other. If you're questioning, I'd recommend reporting and letting them take a look at it.

I've read that surround sound setting on your machine are bad for locating sound, but you've had the opposite effect?
Oh I understand the physics of it all. That was never the problem. The cameras not being accurate makes sense.

Yes I have a much better idea of where baddies are with my surround headphones than my 2-channel speakers

Just finished 2nd!!! Omfg what a rush!!! I just got done pacing around my computer room saying "COME ON!" And "YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" Not mad though. It was a blast!!!! Just cant believe i didnt get the last guy. We were battling from behind trees and I definitely hit them a few times. Unreal! Haha

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Oh I understand the physics of it all. That was never the problem. The cameras not being accurate makes sense.

Yes I have a much better idea of where baddies are with my surround headphones than my 2-channel speakers

Just finished 2nd!!! Omfg what a rush!!! I just got done pacing around my computer room saying "COME ON!" And "YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" Not mad though. It was a blast!!!! Just cant believe i didnt get the last guy. We were battling from behind trees and I definitely hit them a few times. Unreal! Haha

I'll have to give the surround sound a try then and see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->