Players you've been wanting DW to acquire for the past year+.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
We already have Vlasic and Braun doing what Giordano would be doing. We need more of an offensive guy. I'd love to get Christian Ehrhoff back.

I would like Erhoff but I don't like his contract duration. I believe Giordano is producing at above a point per game. I don't expect that to last but he is above average offensively and had a year he got 43 points. He would be a great partner for Boyle.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I agree a solid LH dman to pair with Boyle would be ideal. I've always been interested in Sekera or Michalek (though doubt the Coyotes would trade with us).

Vlasic - Braun
Sekera - Boyle
Hannan/Stuart - Demers
Irwin/Stuart/Hannan

That's a solid D.

Michalek is a RD I think.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would like Erhoff but I don't like his contract duration. I believe Giordano is producing at above a point per game. I don't expect that to last but he is above average offensively and had a year he got 43 points. He would be a great partner for Boyle.

Giordano is killing it right now, but from what I've seen he doesn't have the puck-moving ability that I'd want if we made a trade. No reason to make a trade with how we're playing unless we can get a young and/or elite puck-mover.

Michalek is a RD I think.

Yep. Plays with LHD's Yandle and OEL.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Gogo is available supposedly, wonder if Havlat would interest Dallas? heh.

Only reason to acquire a defenseman is if he pushes the Demers/Hannan/Irwin/Stuart crowd all down the depth chart. It's not worth acquiring a player who isn't better than all four of those guys. I'm not sure Goligoski is better than Demers. Even if he's marginally better, it's not worth the assets.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Only reason to acquire a defenseman is if he pushes the Demers/Hannan/Irwin/Stuart crowd all down the depth chart. It's not worth acquiring a player who isn't better than all four of those guys. I'm not sure Goligoski is better than Demers. Even if he's marginally better, it's not worth the assets.

Yah, I don't REALLY want him, i was kind of joking, more about dumping Havlat than getting Gogo. We really don't need him, though I think he is better than he's shown in Dallas.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I wanted Prust back when he was on the Rangers, but with his new contract I'm not really interested unless they take Burish.

Prust is also pretty injury prone. Good energy guy and he'd be a fan favorite but he makes too much.

You'd think, but he can really play on any line and not embarrass himself. You'd LOVE him. I didn't know much about him before he came to MTL, but man that guy is great! He's not for sale, and we're happy with his contract. That said, I'd like him on the Sharks, but it's not happening.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You'd think, but he can really play on any line and not embarrass himself. You'd LOVE him. I didn't know much about him before he came to MTL, but man that guy is great! He's not for sale, and we're happy with his contract. That said, I'd like him on the Sharks, but it's not happening.

I've known about him. He played for Phoenix and Calgary.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Prust is one of those guys that does everything that fans want to see. He can skate, he fights, he isn't a terrible player, he's funny, he stands up for his teammates. Therefore, he's incredibly overrated. I've seen Rangers fans that literally think that letting him go was the downfall of their team, and that Prust was more important than Dubinsky or Anisimov.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I've known about him. He played for Phoenix and Calgary.

Ah, fair enough. Just pointing out (as a Sharks AND Habs fan) that he's not for sale, however much he'd look good with the Sharks, or any team for that matter.

Prust is one of those guys that does everything that fans want to see. He can skate, he fights, he isn't a terrible player, he's funny, he stands up for his teammates. Therefore, he's incredibly overrated. I've seen Rangers fans that literally think that letting him go was the downfall of their team, and that Prust was more important than Dubinsky or Anisimov.

Agreed. Sometimes he's overrated. Still, I actually think most Habs fans are pretty happy with Prust and generally don't overrate him. We know he's not the greatest finisher. We know he shouldn't have to take on heavyweights like he sometimes does, but we still love him to death. I've seen him overrated by other fans, but surprisingly not Habs fans. He is also slightly overpaid (judging by comparable players around the league), but it was one of those times when an overpayment is worth every penny.

thirtysix*

i liked seeing scott gomez make magic happen on the 4th line, wish he was still playing for us

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
i liked seeing scott gomez make magic happen on the 4th line, wish he was still playing for us

Gomez is a train wreck defensively, he doesn't belong on a 4th line. He's a decent 3rd line center when flanked by two defensively responsible wingers, that's about it. We have Pavelski, so we don't need Gomez, that's why he wasn't retained. We have 4th liners coming out of our ears.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Gomez is a train wreck defensively, he doesn't belong on a 4th line. He's a decent 3rd line center when flanked by two defensively responsible wingers, that's about it. We have Pavelski, so we don't need Gomez, that's why he wasn't retained. We have 4th liners coming out of our ears.

That and if you get two defensively responsible wingers with him, they aren't playing at his level or speed offensively to know what Gomez is going to do with the puck. Gomez likes to wheel and deal and a lot of times it is no-look blind passes into areas hoping for someone to be there. That was his problem. He looked good with his fast skating and puck-handling but was horrible with the hope plays and giveaways.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Yikes. We already have a Seto in TK, only this one works harder and plays defense.

For the love of god, how can some of you people still not accept/like that we got Torres. Somebody better call the waaampulance. :shakehead

There are perfectly good reasons and resorting to 'waambulance' rhetoric isn't productive. I have been extremely vocal in my dislike for Torres, nothing has changed in that regard because my disdain for him has absolutely nothing to do with his ability. He's a very capable hockey player and when he's not headhunting is very effective, and that is exactly what he's done while here. The reason to not have him on this team is because he is a cheap short artist who has no respect for his follow players and has developed a reputation as such. Because of this he is far more likely to get disciplined, even for otherwise innocuous plays, thereby hurting his team, possibly at key times. You know, exactly like what happened last year. Yah that play was arguable at best, but frankly Torres burned any benefit of the doubt with league a long time ago and we knew that going into it. If Torres could start a clean slate and maintain his effectiveness without resorting to the headshots I would love to have him on this team, but that is not going to happen, and we have very likely not seen the last suspension for Torres while a member of this team. Hopefully next time it's not during a critical playoff round.

People have legitimate concerns and brushing them off with condescending remarks is not going to change their minds.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
There are perfectly good reasons and resorting to 'waambulance' rhetoric isn't productive. I have been extremely vocal in my dislike for Torres, nothing has changed in that regard because my disdain for him has absolutely nothing to do with his ability. He's a very capable hockey player...Because of this he is far more likely to get disciplined, even for otherwise innocuous plays, thereby hurting his team, possibly at key times. You know, exactly like what happened last year.

...People have legitimate concerns and brushing them off with condescending remarks is not going to change their minds.

To be very fair to you, you've had the same attitude about Martin Havlat and his injuries (he is a good, productive player, but being injured and in-and-out of the lineup really hurts the team).

Plus, you've really liked Havlat from the start.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
There are perfectly good reasons and resorting to 'waambulance' rhetoric isn't productive. I have been extremely vocal in my dislike for Torres, nothing has changed in that regard because my disdain for him has absolutely nothing to do with his ability. He's a very capable hockey player and when he's not headhunting is very effective, and that is exactly what he's done while here. The reason to not have him on this team is because he is a cheap short artist who has no respect for his follow players and has developed a reputation as such. Because of this he is far more likely to get disciplined, even for otherwise innocuous plays, thereby hurting his team, possibly at key times. You know, exactly like what happened last year. Yah that play was arguable at best, but frankly Torres burned any benefit of the doubt with league a long time ago and we knew that going into it. If Torres could start a clean slate and maintain his effectiveness without resorting to the headshots I would love to have him on this team, but that is not going to happen, and we have very likely not seen the last suspension for Torres while a member of this team. Hopefully next time it's not during a critical playoff round.

People have legitimate concerns and brushing them off with condescending remarks is not going to change their minds.

But continuing to advocate his departure of the team is? But anyway, not trying to change anyones mind or anything. I understand, sort of, why some of you don't like him. I'm just tired of the comments, which are fewer and far between now, but still tired of them nonetheless. He came, he changed his game, he performed and because of his past got F'd in the playoffs.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
To be very fair to you, you've had the same attitude about Martin Havlat and his injuries (he is a good, productive player, but being injured and in-and-out of the lineup really hurts the team).

Plus, you've really liked Havlat from the start.

Sure, and I'm realistic about that, as I am with Torres. I had hope Havlat would work out his issues and we'd get the healthy Havlat that was advertised, but we didn't, he's been a train wreck. When he plays, his a difference maker, but we've barely seen him play. If he doesnt play out the rest of this season uninjured after returning, I'm done with him.

Torres is also a difference maker, but unlike with Havlat his 'status' puts a target on his back, and to some degree the teams back. Are the Sharks likely to get treated more harshly the league/refs because of Torres? Difficult to quantify for sure, but I certainly don't think it's going to help. Is he more in control than Havlat? yes, to some degree, but the question then becomes can he remain effective without playing 'on the edge' anymore? I don't know, I'm not even convinced he's trying yet. Though I think he probably got the message this time. Hopefully

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Elite puck-moving d-man: Letang, Yandle, Edler, Shattenkirk, Enstrom (potentially a realistic target).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Sure, and I'm realistic about that, as I am with Torres. I had hope Havlat would work out his issues and we'd get the healthy Havlat that was advertised, but we didn't, he's been a train wreck. When he plays, his a difference maker, but we've barely seen him play. If he doesnt play out the rest of this season uninjured after returning, I'm done with him.

Torres is also a difference maker, but unlike with Havlat his 'status' puts a target on his back, and to some degree the teams back. Are the Sharks likely to get treated more harshly the league/refs because of Torres? Difficult to quantify for sure, but I certainly don't think it's going to help. Is he more in control than Havlat? yes, to some degree, but the question then becomes can he remain effective without playing 'on the edge' anymore? I don't know, I'm not even convinced he's trying yet. Though I think he probably got the message this time. Hopefully

He can still be on the edge..he, by his own admission has gotten "too wrapped up" in looking to destroy someone every shift and crossed the line. I think he found a balance last year and he and the Sharks both know he was jobbed by the league on the Stoll (his best man and friend) hit and the confusing explanation by Shanahan. "You did everything right but hurt someone"

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
He can still be on the edge..he, by his own admission has gotten "too wrapped up" in looking to destroy someone every shift and crossed the line. I think he found a balance last year and he and the Sharks both know he was jobbed by the league on the Stoll (his best man and friend) hit and the confusing explanation by Shanahan. "You did everything right but hurt someone"

I agree for the most part (I dont know his real intent) but that's kind of the point. He's not only going to have to step back from the edge, he's going to have to step way back because he has a microscope on him. We have yet to see what that will do to his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->