Players you underestimated

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Jason Zucker. Loved his speed but never thought he'd amount to anything. I thought he'd turn into a career AHLer who gets called up for injuries his entire career and would be included in a trade sometime down the line. I was very wrong. 17 goals this year and way more responsible in his own zone. He is a poor mans Zach Parise and I think he is only going to get better.

This, liked his speed, but never thought he was going to utilize it. Guy is fast and has a work ethic of a grinder.

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
No one in the world expected Jake Voracek to lead the league in points at any point in the season. I feel like he has too be the biggest surprise. But, I am a flyers fan, so biased prolly :P

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
On the Habs Dale Weise was underestimated when we traded for him. And Markov has been underestimated big time since coming back from his injuries.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Funny thing about Johnson, I was pretty sure he would at least continue his success this year that I drafted him in the late rounds of my fantasy league.

Then about 2 weeks in I decided to drop him, keep Filppula, and then kicked myself for dropping him early.

I would have had all the sleeper picks too. I picked up Forsberg, Vatanen, Foligno all off waivers or at the end of the draft.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Claude Giroux when he was entering the league.

Also Roman Josi

And Jaden Schwartz.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Michael Del Zotto.

His defensive play is twice as good as advertised, he works hard as well.

He has looked like a top 4 defenceman all year.

He has played over 20 minutes the last 10 games in a row and averages 20:35 on the season.

Nick Schultz.

He is exactly the same player he was in Minnesota. My brother is a Wild fan so I used to watch quite a lot of them... and he really is the Nick Schultz who was a 15-20 point Dman capable of playing ~19-20 mins a night as a #4 while being very solid on D. Seemingly his play for the Oilers was just a product of being on the Oilers.

Coming into the season I expected Del Zotto to be a ~#6 and Schultz to be a #7... so both big, positive surprises on the Flyers 2 reclamation projects this year.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Thought Gaudreau would turn out much like Johnny Football so I guess I was wrong about that.
Also underestimated Vorachek I knew he was good but figured he was more just a product of Giroux

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Brad Stuart. I underestimated how bad he'd be.

Flip side..

I greatly underestimated Calvin Pickard. I always figured Aittokallio would be the better of the two and Pickard wouldn't even get a cup of coffee.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Del Zotto. I wasn't expecting much, but while I can't say for sure since I didn't watch him night in and night out with the Rangers, he might be playing the best hockey of his career.

Evergreen

I thought Brad Marchand's breakout season was a fluke.

I thought Jonathan Quick was overrated five years ago.

I did not think Rick Nash would ever return to being a 40-goal guy.

member 116861

Brad Stuart. I underestimated how bad he'd be.

Flip side..

I greatly underestimated Calvin Pickard. I always figured Aittokallio would be the better of the two and Pickard wouldn't even get a cup of coffee.

What? Brad Stuart has been decent this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Steve Mason. Was always convinced he'd turn it around in the right situation, but I was also dead certain that Philadelphia was the exact polar opposite of "the right situation". Whoops. :D

Then there was that time that I was convinced Hall's career would be destroyed by headshots and he'd never get anywhere as a result...

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
I never thought Niklas Backstrom (WSH) would make it in the NHL after watching him in the SHL. He was to soft i used to say... well, I was sort of wrong on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->