Players You Didn't Know About or Totally Forgot About

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Ron Stackhouse is easy to overlook, playing in the shadow of Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Lapointe from 70-71 to 81-82. A big defenseman (6'3") averaging 7 goals and 31 assists with teams that didn't get much fanfare (Seals, Wings and the last 9 seasons with Pittsburgh). Average 69 PM and was a 4-time All Star...

ron-stackhouse-1977-50.jpg

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Kirk McCaskill

Drafted by Winnipeg in the 4th round n 1981. I saw him play in one or two preseason games for the Jets in 1983. He played that season in
Sherbrooke. I had forgotten about him until …

In 1986 I was watching some baseball on TV and realized that the pitcher was the same guy that was in the Jet's organization. McCaskill had a couple of very good seasons as a starting pitcher for the California Angels. Pitched two no hitters and two 15 win seasons.
A few baseball players who were also good hockey players.

Tom Glavine, an NHL draft pick.

Larry Walker, a goaltender who had junior tryouts at age 16 and then focused on baseball.

Matt Stairs, who was probably the best or 2nd best hockey player of his age group in the Atlantic Provinces.

Any others?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had no idea who Joe Corvo was until this moment

You could have given me 100 guesses and I'm not sure I would have gotten "NHL player for the Ottawa Senators" correct. Funny thing is he got traded to my team at the following seasons trade deadline, and thats when I learned about his uh, past. But not before I watched him do this to his former team.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Lonny Bohonos.

9 points in 9 games playing for the Leafs in the 1999 playoffs. Then never plays another NHL game.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
How about Jim Fox? I remember him as an Ottawa 67 and then was drafted by Los Angeles in 1980. Was a very decent and solid player with the Kings all of his years in the NHL and basically overshadowed by others like Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor and, of course, Wayne Gretzky.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The MVP of the 2006 Olympics decided to go to the NHL and he thereafter had four very good NHL regular seasons and one awesone playoff game right before his countryman from Finland replaced him and played less well but good enough for a conference finals run.

Admit it. You don't remember this great goalie.

A couple of years late, randomly stumbled upon this thread, but this must be Niittymäki who outcompeted Kiprusoff for Team Finland in 2006?

Edit: It’s funny, I’ve forever seemed to forget or just assume that Kiprusoff would have been Finland’s starter that tournament. But Niittymäki was lights out in 06

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
A couple of years late, randomly stumbled upon this thread, but this must be Niittymäki who outcompeted Kiprusoff for Team Finland in 2006?

Edit: It’s funny, I’ve forever seemed to forget or just assume that Kiprusoff would have been Finland’s starter that tournament. But Niittymäki was lights out in 06

Kiprusoff actually declined. There was minor storm about it at the time. At that time people weren´t used to that someone could refuse to play in NT. Kiprusoff overall had bit stormy relationship with NT.

Nurminen had to retire due to injuries after lockout. Lehtonen who was the next choice had been injured most of season. There was lot of speculation who would be the goalie in that tournament. Hannu Toivonen even was hot name at the time. Nobody expected much from Niittymäki, but he had career hot streak at the tournament.

edit. Actually needed to refresh my memory and the three goalies originally selected to Torino were Kiprusoff, Lehtonen and Fredrik Norrena. Kiprusoff declined first, so did Lehtonen (due to injuries though was playing in Atlanta already at the time).

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad