Players you completely forgot were Bruins

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Am I right that he was fast, even by NHL standards?

Must have been unfair against kids his age in HS.

Jeff Lazaro was as fast as Bates. Both blazing fast.
Shawn McEachern and Lazaro were within a year of
each other growing up in Waltham. McEachern
went to Matignon and not Waltham HS.
Lazaro went to Waltham HS but imagine
he and McEachern on a line together in HS?

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Peter Douris

uo_1476377491-11110-248.jpg

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'll never forget being at the Garden for Game 4 against Montreal in 1992 and watching Douris hit the empty net under a hail of brooms(2:09:30 mark of clip below).

I was there and at the time it was the loudest that I ever remember the Garden being.

Reactions: Olden McGroin

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I'll never forget being at the Garden for Game 4 against Montreal in 1992 and watching Douris hit the empty net under a hail of brooms(2:09:30 mark of clip below).

Douris also scored the winner in Game 2 of that series. That was the first time they beat the Habs in a playoff OT at the Forum since 1943.

Reactions: sarge88

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Watching that video, never seen that game before. It looks like they really loved Rick Bowness. I wonder if hurt the locker room when Sinden dumped him for Brian Sutter after just one year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That guy Hammond who was playing D game 5 vs Habs 1991 playoffs

what a toaster loaded with filler

I could see myself sitting there on certain shots at that game and I can’t believe the swill they had

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
mistake thought the above post said Bates and Lazaro.
Lazaro parents sat 3 and 4 seats over in my row Bruins owned and his father always had a Walkman and smiling but never said a word - mother very nice

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Watching that video, never seen that game before. It looks like they really loved Rick Bowness. I wonder if hurt the locker room when Sinden dumped him for Brian Sutter after just one year.

Bruins had an 84 point season with Bowness. Sutter had a 104 point season his first year. Probably did hurt the locker room because the players had to be responsible again under Sutter.

Bowness career coaching record has to be one of the worst ever, 143-302-48.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

aguineapig

Bobby Joyce- saw him last night vs Devils on NESN. Completely forgot about him.
I remember his last year at North Dakota, he played with Tony Hrkac as his center. They were coined the "Hrkac Circus" and Joyce scored 52 goals while winning the NCAA Div. 1 title. Ed Belfour was their goalie. Thought he was going to be the next Charlie Simmer.
The way he and Janney came in after the Olympics the next year, called them the Gold Dust Twins. Only to be both traded away within a few years. Fast forward ten years to Big Joe and the Magical Muscovite. Stay tuned.

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Bruins had an 84 point season with Bowness. Sutter had a 104 point season his first year. Probably did hurt the locker room because the players had to be responsible again under Sutter.

Bowness career coaching record has to be one of the worst ever, 143-302-48.

Teams like the expansion Senators don’t exist anymore especially in the NHL where everyone spends within 2-4 mil of the cap and there’s what 2-3 teams max 10 points or more out of a playoff spot this late in the year?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I remember his last year at North Dakota, he played with Tony Hrkac as his center. They were coined the "Hrkac Circus" and Joyce scored 52 goals while winning the NCAA Div. 1 title. Ed Belfour was their goalie. Thought he was going to be the next Charlie Simmer.
The way he and Janney came in after the Olympics the next year, called them the Gold Dust Twins. Only to be both traded away within a few years. Fast forward ten years to Big Joe and the Magical Muscovite. Stay tuned.

I thought Joyce was going to be a special player too.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Teams like the expansion Senators don’t exist anymore especially in the NHL where everyone spends within 2-4 mil of the cap and there’s what 2-3 teams max 10 points or more out of a playoff spot this late in the year?

True.

But the point really was that the Bruins were immediately a much better team under Sutter.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Guy Lapointe. Brian Leetch.

Guy Lapointe was the one that came to my mind, only because of a heated argument and bet I made in the late 80's. I was so sure that Guy Lapointe never came close to playing for the Bruins I ended up making a pretty sizeable wager with a buddy, after arguing about it for the better part of a night. Keep in mind that this was well prior to cell phones or the internet, so these kinds of bets were much more interesting (and in my case, more costly) back then.

To this day I still feel that my buddy duped me, and that somebody has hacked Hockeydb.com, because Lapointe never played for the Bruins. He just didn't.

Reactions: LSCII

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

Oh you are so lucky to have been there. I had recently moved to Manhattan Beach, and there was a Bruins bar called the Poopdeck right on the sand in nearby Hermosa Beach where they would play the Bruins games via one of those monster satellite dishes. That game was on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and the bar was packed, and there were a fair amount of brooms that people had brought and were carrying around. It was glorious.

Fun-fact: Tracy Lords used to frequent the Poopdeck back in the day. She must have been a Bruins fan.

aguineapig

Guy Lapointe was the one that came to my mind, only because of a heated argument and bet I made in the late 80's. I was so sure that Guy Lapointe never came close to playing for the Bruins I ended up making a pretty sizeable wager with a buddy, after arguing about it for the better part of a night. Keep in mind that this was well prior to cell phones or the internet, so these kinds of bets were much more interesting (and in my case, more costly) back then.

To this day I still feel that my buddy duped me, and that somebody has hacked Hockeydb.com, because Lapointe never played for the Bruins. He just didn't.

Not only did Harry sign "Pointu" prior to the 83-84 season, he also signed another sworn enemy Jim Schoenfeld as well.
But the real brouhaha was when Harry brought down the jersey of Dit Clapper from the rafters to give to Lapointe as he had worn that number during his Hab years. Now I never saw Dit Clapper play but I remember vividly how Johnny Peirson spoke of him in reverence. Johnny would refer to him as Aubrey "Dit" Clapper. First player to play twenty seasons, all with the Bruins. Wore the C from 1932 to 146. Voted to the All Star team as both forward and defenceman.
Scored 41 goals in 44 Gms as a wing in 1930, shifted to defence in 1937 and won Cups in 1939 and 1941. Also Coached Bruins, first as a player/ Coach and led B's to the finals in 1946. Was immediately inducted into Hall of Fame. THAT Number Five. It was a horrible idea and Harry took so much heat that Lapointe switched to 27 for the rest of that year after a few games.

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad