Players you completely forgot were Bruins

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I had no idea about this. I assumed it was complications with injuries that forced him out of the game...

Well, he wasn't the same player as a result of the injuries. He probably wouldn't have been a regular NHLer going forward, but may have kicked around in the minors and maybe been called up every now and then, likely with frequent IR trips. So he had to choose between continuing to play and maybe make $400K a year on future contracts or whatever in the minors to chase his dream or to take the guaranteed multi-million insurance settlement and retire.

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

aguineapig

Medford's own, Shawn Bates.
After he was drafted in 1993 by the B's, I believe it was the Herald did a story on him. They had a couple a pictures of him out in the street, playing ball hockey and then one with him in the face off stance I believe with his Medford jersey on.
Before the internet it was a Sunday ritual to seek out the draft wrap ups in both the Herald and Globe. I would run up to the Shop n Save to pick up milk or what not, but first stop at the newsstand section. The papers back then were probably a buck something, and only wanted to read the Bruin fare. So I never would buy em, just read the Sports section and put em back. The Herald was an easy read because of the one piece design. So I would hit that first, reading the Sunday notes by Stephen Harris and then they would have an article or two about the draft, usually with a story about a local kid like Bates. The Globe was trickier because of the folded sections, but the Sports were usually in the second folded section about three sections in before the classifieds. Read the KPD Sunday notes and then the draft stuff. Folded back the paper neatly then back on the rack. Tell me you never did that?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
After he was drafted in 1993 by the B's, I believe it was the Herald did a story on him. They had a couple a pictures of him out in the street, playing ball hockey and then one with him in the face off stance I believe with his Medford jersey on.
Before the internet it was a Sunday ritual to seek out the draft wrap ups in both the Herald and Globe. I would run up to the Shop n Save to pick up milk or what not, but first stop at the newsstand section. The papers back then were probably a buck something, and only wanted to read the Bruin fare. So I never would buy em, just read the Sports section and put em back. The Herald was an easy read because of the one piece design. So I would hit that first, reading the Sunday notes by Stephen Harris and then they would have an article or two about the draft, usually with a story about a local kid like Bates. The Globe was trickier because of the folded sections, but the Sports were usually in the second folded section about three sections in before the classifieds. Read the KPD Sunday notes and then the draft stuff. Folded back the paper neatly then back on the rack. Tell me you never did that?

I remember having a streak of probably 8-10 years of buying the Globe and Herald every day on the way to school, primarily for the sports page. I think this started around 7th grade through college.

IIRC they were .25 each when I started and .50 or .75 at the end.

One of my 7th grade teachers was a sports nut too. Umpired and refereed like 4 sports in the area.

30 years later he ended up umpiring one of my daughters softball games that I was coaching and he reminded me of that. Said that I was the only 7th grader he ever saw that brought 2 newspapers to school every day.

I remember reading Fran Rosa, Tim Horgan, Ryan, Gammons, KPD, Hobson, Mannix and a bunch of others.

Also got the Lawrence Eagle Tribune at home after school and got to read Russ Conway.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I remember having a streak of probably 8-10 years of buying the Globe and Herald every day on the way to school, primarily for the sports page. I think this started around 7th grade through college.

IIRC they were .25 each when I started and .50 or .75 at the end.

One of my 7th grade teachers was a sports nut too. Umpired and refereed like 4 sports in the area.

30 years later he ended up umpiring one of my daughters softball games that I was coaching and he reminded me of that. Said that I was the only 7th grader he ever saw that brought 2 newspapers to school every day.

I remember reading Fran Rosa, Tim Horgan, Ryan, Gammons, KPD, Hobson, Mannix and a bunch of others.

Also got the Lawrence Eagle Tribune at home after school and got to read Russ Conway.

When attending UCONN (1973), I discovered the student union sold the Boston Globe. They wouldn't sell me just the sports page, so I took the whole paper. What a treat for a Bruins & Red Sox fan!

aguineapig

The local Bangor TV station just replayed the 1993 NCAA Maine - Lake Superior championship game. What a ride down memory lane. Mike Dunham, B's goalie coach played the first two periods, but down 4-2 after two was pulled in favor of Garth Snow. Jim Montgomery ( the Stars former Coach) then turned the tables with a natural hat trick in the first ten minutes of the third, all set up by Paul Kariya. The Ferraro twins who both later played in the Bruin organization were on that team.
But Lake State had some Bruin ties as well. Brian Rolston was their top player, and Clayton Beddoes who the B's later would sign a s a free agent had a goal and assist in that game. Beddoes scored two goals in parts of two seasons with B's before setting of to Europe, he currently is the Head Coach of the Italian national team.
And the Goalie for that Lake State team? He would also sign as a free agent with Boston, none other than the Lach Ness Monster, Blaine Lacher.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com

I played varsity hockey for Malden High when Bates was at Medford and it was both hilarious and sad how far beyond any of us he was. It was probably in the games against Medford where it dawned on me, "oh, this hockey thing isn't going to be something I do very much longer!" :laugh::laugh:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I played varsity hockey for Malden High when Bates was at Medford and it was both hilarious and sad how far beyond any of us he was. It was probably in the games against Medford where it dawned on me, "oh, this hockey thing isn't going to be something I do very much longer!" :laugh::laugh:

Am I right that he was fast, even by NHL standards?

Must have been unfair against kids his age in HS.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Anyone remember Andy Hilbert when he was here going in between Boston and Providence and how he was hyped up to be a big deal? This guy does.

Good lord I couldn't stand him. The ultimate floater until Peter Schaefer arrived in Providence. His only "skill" was to ice the puck in a high pressure defensive situation. He could make the HOF on that.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Anyone remember Andy Hilbert when he was here going in between Boston and Providence and how he was hyped up to be a big deal? This guy does.

Good lord I couldn't stand him. The ultimate "I shouldn't be in the AHL" floater until Peter Schaefer arrived in Providence. His only "skill" was to ice the puck in a high pressure defensive situation. He could make the HOF on that. No one benefited from playing with Bergy and Boyes like he did the lockout year.

Reactions: EvilDead

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Good lord I couldn't stand him. The ultimate "I shouldn't be in the AHL" floater until Peter Schaefer arrived in Providence. His only "skill" was to ice the puck in a high pressure defensive situation. He could make the HOF on that. No one benefited from playing with Bergy and Boyes like he did the lockout year.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Al Secord

al.jpg

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
The local Bangor TV station just replayed the 1993 NCAA Maine - Lake Superior championship game. What a ride down memory lane. Mike Dunham, B's goalie coach played the first two periods, but down 4-2 after two was pulled in favor of Garth Snow. Jim Montgomery ( the Stars former Coach) then turned the tables with a natural hat trick in the first ten minutes of the third, all set up by Paul Kariya. The Ferraro twins who both later played in the Bruin organization were on that team.
But Lake State had some Bruin ties as well. Brian Rolston was their top player, and Clayton Beddoes who the B's later would sign a s a free agent had a goal and assist in that game. Beddoes scored two goals in parts of two seasons with B's before setting of to Europe, he currently is the Head Coach of the Italian national team.
And the Goalie for that Lake State team? He would also sign as a free agent with Boston, none other than the Lach Ness Monster, Blaine Lacher.

I recall Lake State having a great chance to tie it late but the shot went up under the crossbar and stayed out. Nowadays a replay might have given the goal(see 23:00 mark of clip below).

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Peter Skudra appeared in 25 games for the Black and Gold in 2000-2001, recording a 3.33 goals against average

skudrabruins.jpg

Reactions: BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Don’t feel bad- he’s still at Medford (coaching) and look at you! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Si Hopkins

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It’s criminal how bad the crap Chiarelli brought in after 2011 was. Mike freaking Mottau more than a decade after he left BC and did nothing in the NHL the entire time was one of them. Pandolfo Bourque Dogavins etc were his choices for role players to put next to an amazing core with future HOFers in their primes. Rolston vs 2.0 was awful.

Rolston was not awful. Why do you just make stuff up?He didn't dominate when he finished out his career
at 39 YEARS OLD, but had 15 pts in 21 RS games.
In the PO he had more points than either Bergeron or
Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad