Players you can't compare.

MJB Devils23*

Hasek. Nobody can come close to finding another goalie like him.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Andrei Nazarov. Pretty much the only Russian "goon" to play in the NHL. I can hardly name any that played in the AHL either.

Evgeni Artyukhin may not be a goon of Andrei Nazarov's caliber, but considering his career TOI/G of 9:30 and the fact that he racked up 151 PIM and 7 fights in 2009, he probably does fit the bill. The dude is like a skyscraper. He may be listed as 6'4, 254, but he looks about 6'9 on skates. But your point remains; the term "Russian goon" is a contradiction of itself.

It's kind of hard to believe that the Sharks saw something in Nazarov so special that they used the #10 overall pick in the 1996 draft on him. Then, when I think about it, he may actually be one of the better picks of that first round. That's how bad that draft was. Andrei Nazarov went #10 overall, which is laughable. But Andrei Nazarov scored the 11th-most points among players that went in the first round that year. So he was technically drafted right where he should have been in the first round. :facepalm: It soon became apparent that the Sharks had managed to pick the only Russian alive that could not skate, stickhandle, or score. But man, could he fight. Nazarov's fists may not have been able to do anything with a stick, but they certainly could do some damage without one.

To me, Sergei Fedorov is one of the few players in history that are truly incomparable. There was never anyone like him. There isn't anyone like him. There won't be anyone like him. His raw talent and ability, and their subsequent impact on the game, makes him different than anyone in the past, present, and likely the future. I can't remember too many players that literally had every tool in the toolbox, plus a couple more. His skating ability was spectacular by itself, but he also had incredible hands, a laser beam shot, and every other skill imaginable. Fedorov's 1994 is arguably the best all-around season in NHL history. He was so incredible to watch. And he was such a different animal in the playoffs. It's like he had a button he pushed in April that activated "playoff mode". I don't think we will ever be able to legitimately compare someone, in terms of the ability and the accomplishments, to Fedorov.

Last edited:

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Datsyuk is tough to find a comparison to, not because of his offensive play, which there are several shifty, skilled puck handlers to compare him to, but because of his defensive play which so few offensive wizards have ever displayed. He makes your jaw drop in all three zones.

HappyGilmour

Elite level stamina
Oct 9, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
He is overrated because people say silly things like "Forsberg would put up 160+ points in the 80s" or "Forsberg was the best player ever because of x y z" when he clearly isn't in that upper stratosphere of all time players - partly due to his constant injuries.

Forsberg was a great complete player. The closest thing to Bryan Trottier since Bryan Trottier.

Bryan was a better goalscorer, better defensively and even more physical, though.

Trottier was an absolutely punishing physical player and it seemed sort of like he had cement blocks on his feet at the moment of impact when he was hitting because he was so solid on his skates.

I don't even know how to describe Hasek to someone who hasn't seen him. He just seemed to sprawl, kick, dive, lunge or whatever else he needed to do to stop the puck and it worked. He was very unique.

Who was more exciting to watch? Forsberg did things that Trottier would only dream of doing.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Who was more exciting to watch? Forsberg did things that Trottier would only dream of doing.

I guess you didn't watch much Trottier in his prime, if at all.

Forsberg definitely was a dynamic player, and he maybe did have some more flair than Trottier, but saying he did things Trottier would only dream of doing is a joke.

Trottier is one of the most complete hockey players to ever suit up - period. And yes, he was better than Forsberg, hands down.

HappyGilmour

Elite level stamina
Oct 9, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I guess you didn't watch much Trottier in his prime, if at all.

Forsberg definitely was a dynamic player, and he maybe did have some more flair than Trottier, but saying he did things Trottier would only dream of doing is a joke.

Trottier is one of the most complete hockey players to ever suit up - period. And yes, he was better than Forsberg, hands down.

Agreed.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's ok to be wrong.

This is the final list of the Top 100 Hockey Players as determined by the History of Hockey community at HFBoards:

NOTE: Please report any errors via PM to FissionFire

Top 100 Hockey Players
Rank | No. | Player | Pos | Height | Weight | Career
26|19| Bryan Trottier |C|5'11"|195|1975-1994
65|21| Peter Forsberg |C|6'0"|205|1990-Present

I'm glad you think so, because you are wrong. :)

Infinite Vision*

He had a better career, I suppose, he simply wasn't a better player. Sorry.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He had a better career, I suppose, he simply wasn't a better player. Sorry.

Yes, Trottier had a better career and simply was a better player. Sorry.

If you have any actual reasoning besides your usual "newer is better" bias, be sure to inform us so I can proceed to take it apart for you.

Infinite Vision*

Yes, Trottier had a better career and simply was a better player. Sorry.

If you have any actual reasoning besides your usual "newer is better" bias, be sure to inform us so I can proceed to take it apart for you.

It has nothing to do with being newer, how many times have you said this now? To any neutral observer they are almost too close to call as far as who the better player was, I simply think Forsberg was better. The fact that you think Trottier was better hands down, and that your opinion is a fact is actually hilarious.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Dump a puck in the corner and have both of them in their primes go after it and Forsberg would embarrass him with his overwhelming natural skill.

I take it you never played hockey, it's cool.

Sincerely,
Always winning

Heh. Other than longevity, physical play and battling in the corners is the one area where Trottier was decisively better the injury-prone Forsberg. You would have been better off pimping Forsberg's puck control ability and/or dipsy-doodling.

I take it you don't know very much about Bryan Trottier? It's okay; I wasn't watching hockey when he was in his prime either. But I don't pretend to know more about his style and strengths as a player than people who saw him play.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It has nothing to do with being newer, how many times have you said this now? To any neutral observer they are almost too close to call as far as who the better player was, I simply think Forsberg was better. The fact that you think Trottier was better hands down, and that your opinion is a fact is actually hilarious.

They are similar "complete" type players, but Trottier is the better goalscorer of the two, better defensively, more physical and less injury prone.

So yes, while Forsberg was an outstanding player and it *is* close (in that they are both all time type players), Trottier is an easy choice as the better player for me. And that isn't just my opinion.

Infinite Vision*

And I'm also not close to the only one who thinks Forsberg was better than Trottier...trust me. Like I said, you're opinion is far from a fact.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
And I'm also not close to the only one who thinks Forsberg was better than Trottier...trust me. Like I said, you're opinion is far from a fact.

I'm willing to listen to any reasonable argument you might have showing Forsberg was a more effective hockey player than Bryan Trottier.. have at it.

I'd be really interested to see what you come up with.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Wow, miss a day on the HFboards and and this is what I read. Look, to the posters trying to make a case for Forsberg it is simple. He wasn't quite Bryan Trottier. If you want to call them a wash offensively then that's fine. I can live with that. But there are other things too:

Defensively - Trottier
Physical play - Trottier, just watch his hits
Leadership - Trottier
Playoffs - Pretty close
Longevity - Trottier

Also let's not kid ourselves here. If a puck went into the corner there is no way Forsberg comes out with that puck against Trottier. He would against Bossy, but not Trottier.

Lastly, I don't think there are any people here who would try and build a case that Forsberg had a better career than Sakic right? Well it would be a tough debate on Trottier vs. Sakic just to those that are wondering.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
They are similar "complete" type players, but Trottier is the better goalscorer of the two, better defensively, more physical and less injury prone.

So yes, while Forsberg was an outstanding player and it *is* close (in that they are both all time type players), Trottier is an easy choice as the better player for me. And that isn't just my opinion.

^This.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can't argue with the Forsberg fanboys.

Forsberg and Neely were both excellent hockey players, but they're generally the two most overrated players on these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->