Players you can't compare.

tikkanen5rings*

From the "just like me" thread I got the idea. What are the players historic or current that were/are so unique that you just can't compare them to anyone?

I'm gonna start with Peter Forsberg some compare him to Malkin to me it seems crazy. Forsberg was a scary combination of a clutch powerforward/playmaker/dangler with a mean streak. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who played the game like he did.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Off the top of my head. Darius Kasparaitis...evil guy with hilight reel hits and a European..the European part is the highly unique thing.

Also Rick Middleton..some real nice goals in his career, but whenever he scores...he just skates away like nothing happened...sure he hugs his team mates..but you will almost never see him lift his arms after a goal...if he does...it is literally for a split second. Maybe this is more of a character thing and not a "style" of player.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
forgot about samuelsson. Ok...fair point..

I dono..drawing a blank here..maybe you should change this to rare styles of play :cool:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Nels Stewart seems the most obvious one to me.
A center who could barely skate, didn't play any defense at all, and nothing special as a playmaker, but was such a good sniper that he led the league in goals twice and points once. That, and he was enforcer-tough and even led the league in penalty minutes once.
You can bring up Esposito, Kerr, Andreychuk, etc as guys who stood in front of the net and scored a lot, but only Esposito was a center, and none of those guys were serious fighters, or quite so useless at defense or puckwinning.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Crosby. Not the greatest hands, but definitely the greatest hand-eye I've ever seen in my life. Plays like a 3rd line grinder, scores points like a hall of famer. Just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
The Sedins are going to be hard comparisons for any one to make. Obviously their have been great duos with a ton of chemistry but it's hard to think of ones that generated as much as they have (instead of one's that were just being flat out better players) and obviously you couldn't play together any longer than they have. To put it another way, I couldn't imagine other players being so intertwined with their linemate that a draft scouting report would have to make strong mention of that specific linemate, or a case of say trade value being as dependent on them being a duo.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I don't know if OP did mean only skaters, but Dominik Hasek had a pretty unique style.

Tim Thomas is also another goalie with a non-traditional style, but not as unique as Dominator's.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Crosby. Not the greatest hands, but definitely the greatest hand-eye I've ever seen in my life. Plays like a 3rd line grinder, scores points like a hall of famer. Just ridiculous.

I think if you would watch a homage to the goals he has scored you'd beg to differ that he has "not the greatest hands". I know you have seen Crosby play many times so I wonder what you're thinking. If you are comparing him to the hands of Lemieux then I can see, but there are few players in the NHL with better hands than him right now. Datsyuk, maybe Malkin. I agree he does muck it up in the corners as good as any star player has.

No one mentioned the obvious name yet? Gretzky. Really, who would be even close to this guy's style? A player who is a shade below 6'0", really skinny, couldn't bench press that much, was choppy skater with average speed, didn't own a hard shot. But he offset that with hockey sense, anticipation, playmaking and accuracy. I really can't find someone with his style and wouldn't even know which name to start with.

How about Ted Lindsay? Small, at 5'8" but dirty and as competitive as all get out. The best thing I can think of would be Pat Verbeek but we all know he wasn't nearly as effective. Other than that who would Lindsay compare to style-wise?

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
How about Ted Lindsay? Small, at 5'8" but dirty and as competitive as all get out. The best thing I can think of would be Pat Verbeek but we all know he wasn't nearly as effective. Other than that who would Lindsay compare to style-wise?

Theo Fleury?

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Theo Fleury?

EDIT: LOL, beaten to the punch, with the exact wording to boot :laugh:

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
For a really obscure one, how about Ulf Dahlén. Great along the boards and had this weird skating style of pushing himself along with just one skate.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
From the "just like me" thread I got the idea. What are the players historic or current that were/are so unique that you just can't compare them to anyone?

I'm gonna start with Peter Forsberg some compare him to Malkin to me it seems crazy. Forsberg was a scary combination of a clutch powerforward/playmaker/dangler with a mean streak. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who played the game like he did.

Your username, OP, is the best of the thread no matter what.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
For a really obscure one, how about Ulf Dahlén. Great along the boards and had this weird skating style of pushing himself along with just one skate.

Yeah, he was crazy good along the boards with that weird lateral skating he did.

Infinite Vision*

From what I've seen Forsberg does possess the best overall/absolute skill, and that's not even taking into account his physical game which is also among the very best of scoring players ever. He quite simply was a freak of a player. Rattles my head how some can still think the guy is overrated.

Hasek was the most unique and best goalie I've ever seen play.

I can honestly say, as skilled as Ovechkin is, I've never seen someone try harder to score as often/consistently from game to game. He possesses an enormous amount of will for someone with his skillset.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
From what I've seen Forsberg does possess the best overall/absolute skill, and that's not even taking into account his physical game which is also among the very best of scoring players ever. He quite simply was a freak of a player. Rattles my head how some can still think the guy is overrated.

He is overrated because people say silly things like "Forsberg would put up 160+ points in the 80s" or "Forsberg was the best player ever because of x y z" when he clearly isn't in that upper stratosphere of all time players - partly due to his constant injuries.

Forsberg was a great complete player. The closest thing to Bryan Trottier since Bryan Trottier.

Bryan was a better goalscorer, better defensively and even more physical, though.

Trottier was an absolutely punishing physical player and it seemed sort of like he had cement blocks on his feet at the moment of impact when he was hitting because he was so solid on his skates.

Hasek was the most unique and best goalie I've ever seen play.

I don't even know how to describe Hasek to someone who hasn't seen him. He just seemed to sprawl, kick, dive, lunge or whatever else he needed to do to stop the puck and it worked. He was very unique.

Last edited:

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Andrei Nazarov. Pretty much the only Russian "goon" to play in the NHL. I can hardly name any that played in the AHL either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad