Players With a Big Disparity Between Talent Level and Body of Work?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Whether it's a player who wasn't considered a particularly elite-level talent but still has a very impressive body of work (ie. Mark Recchi), or a player who was supremely talented but really didn't accomplish as much as they could/should have career-wise (ie. Eric Lindros), what are some notable examples we've seen throughout NHL history?

Injuries derailing a player's career will probably be the most prominent examples for talented players lacking a significant body of work, but it shouldn't be limited to this (ie. Alex Kovalev probably could have achieved a lot more).

nwaZ*

Ryan Smyth had a pretty good career despite being of limited hockey talent.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would Alexei Zhamnov count I remember him being a near PPG player but I don't recall anything notable career wise other than being a Zham good NHLer

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Datsyuk. Underachiever for his talent level.

Datsyuk had a lot of talent but he was never a physical beast. Never an amazing skater or very strong, he was just smart and skilled so he got by using that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ryan Smyth had a pretty good career despite being of limited hockey talent.

Came into this thread to say Ryan Smyth.

Brett Hull couldn't do much but fire the puck, but he could fire the **** out of the puck :laugh:

Dany Heatley could have put up 80 in 87.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
though we didnt see it in chicago..Andrew Brunnette is the first guy i thought of

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This sounds absolutely silly, and it is..

.. but..

Mario Lemieux shouldn't have smoked, or eaten so many hotdogs, and taken his fitness seriously. Especially during the prime of his career.

It's crazy to think one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) talent to ever play our game could have been better, but he's quite easily one of the people I think of that could have accomplished so much more.

He should have overtaken quite a few of Gretzky's records. If only he were better conditioned, and possibly not as injured.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Luc Robitaille for me. Not known as a very good skater and was drafted after the pitcher Tom Glavine in the NHL. Went on to score over 660 goals in his career though playing with Gretzky probably helped immensely.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
While not really a whole body of work, Chris Clark is probably the least impressive player to have a 30-goal season on his resume in the somewhat recent past (ie, not the 80s). He was a hard-working player and good locker room guy, but he was basically a 4th liner.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
While not really a whole body of work, Chris Clark is probably the least impressive player to have a 30-goal season on his resume in the somewhat recent past (ie, not the 80s). He was a hard-working player and good locker room guy, but he was basically a 4th liner.

Does Clarkson have a shot at this title.

Heck clarkson Clark similarity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad