Players whose games were nothing like their last name

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He only played one half of a preseson game so far, but Cayden Primeau doesn't play the game at all like his father Keith used to.

(... I was trying hard to come up with a terrible answer)

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I was excited for a moment when I saw Washington had acquired Petr Sýkora until I discovered there was more than one. Born in Pardubice in December of '78, the younger brother of Michal played 2 games for Nashville and years later played 10 for Washington. Finished his NHL career with 2 goals and 2 assists, was said to have a tough time adjusting to North America and went back to Europe (mainly HC Pardubice) and is currently playing for HC Vrchlabí (Czech 3).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Paul Reinhart was a fast, exciting offensive defenceman. His son Griffin Reinhart is a plodding, would-be defensive defenceman. For that matter his son Sam Reinhart is actually a good player but he's slow and quite cerebral. His son Max was just bad.

Mark Stone has soft hands. His brother Michael however does have hands of stone.

John Ferguson Sr. was good at hurting the other team. John Ferguson Jr. was good at hurting his own team.

It remains to be seen if Jeff Tambellini and Keegan Lowe become the next generation of terrible Edmonton Oilers executives.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Surprised to learn Joe Thornton's highest single season goal total as a Shark is only three more than his cousin Scott's: 29-26.

Scott played more like a ton of thorns. Fought more often, actually had a higher career goals total than assists. Joe was more like a crown of thorns... Perimeter pass-first guy who looked like an equine Jesus.

Okay he wasn't a perimeter guy but it fits my metaphor more.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think there was much risk in Troy GAMBLE and I'm willing to make a few Blair BETTS on that. I guess it's a matter of Scott LaCHANCE and how one Chuck ROLLES the dice or plays one's Tony HAND.
Yeah, I know, stop raising a Tanner GLASS full of Tuomas LAGER and and lay off the Bob BEERS, but it's okay. Graham DRINKWATER is my designated Bruce DRIVER.
Yikes that was terrible, maybe someday my posts will be Larry GOODENOUGH. sorry.

As a long suffering Canucks fan Larry Goodenough was the obvious answer to this thread.

I remembering as a child holding his last Philly card and thinking a 20 3-912 line as a Dman (going from memory here) was a steal for the Canucks but we all know how that turned out.

My first girlfriend loved Craig Coxe though.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
As a long suffering Canucks fan Larry Goodenough was the obvious answer to this thread.

I remembering as a child holding his last Philly card and thinking a 20 3-912 line as a Dman (going from memory here) was a steal for the Canucks but we all know how that turned out.

My first girlfriend loved Craig Coxe though.
At least you used protection, the two of you were too Scott Young to be a Bernie Parent and have an unwanted Trevor Kidd.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mark Howe wasn’t really the intimidating guy that his father Gordie was.

In fact, it was well known that when all the Howe family played together, Gordie would go after anyone who took any liberties with his sons.

Gordie could hold a grudge for years so his warnings were taken seriously.

Mark Howe did give his dad a shiner though as a child caught Gordie during his pregame nap as I recall.

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
nobody mentioned Brent Gretzky? I know nobody expected 200 points out of Brent, but there must have been some hope in the name

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Hey, how 'bout that hard-nosed trio of Hunter brothers, Dave, Dale & Mark... or was that Dave, Dale & Tim? or Dave, Mark & Tim? Dale, Mark & Tim?

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
nobody mentioned Brent Gretzky? I know nobody expected 200 points out of Brent, but there must have been some hope in the name

Well, somebody bet their entire franchise on his Gretzkyness:

AJ spent the summer after his senior year assembling a roster. It was all new to him, but he was sure of the player he wanted most: Brent Gretzky, the brother of the NHL legend Wayne. “First of all, he was a really good player,” AJ explained, “and second, the name recognition.”
When it came time to negotiate Gretzky’s contract, AJ turned the deal over to his father. The UHL had a salary cap that limited teams to a total of approximately $275,000 for the whole roster. Gretzky reportedly earned $100,000, which would have left little for the rest of the team. But Galante got around it in classic mob fashion: no-show jobs. According to the indictment filed with the U.S. District Court in Connecticut, in addition to skating for the Trashers, several players (or their wives) were on the payrolls of his various companies—salesperson, sales manager, whatever. Although the Trashers’ reported budget came in under the cap, the feds would later claim that for the 2004–05 season the actual figure was approximately $750,000.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Canuck fans are constantly giving exciting, swashbuckling, high-octane comparables for Jett Woo because he has the most badass name ever, but in actual fact - while he is a very good prospect - he projects as the most boring, fundamentally sound, Travis Hamonic-type defensive defender imaginable.

Reactions: The Pale King

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Canuck fans are constantly giving exciting, swashbuckling, high-octane comparables for Jett Woo because he has the most badass name ever, but in actual fact - while he is a very good prospect - he projects as the most boring, fundamentally sound, Travis Hamonic-type defensive defender imaginable.

He might be boring, but a lot of that is due to the stifling restrictions of the NHL rulebook.

Were flying roundhouse kicks to be legal, Jett Woo would be one of the more entertaining players in the game.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Al Iafrate was anything but a fraidy. He played with complete reckless abandon, with little regard for what it was doing to his body.

Lindy Ruff was actually pretty rough though.

Lindy in punjabi is slang for stool (and not the type of stool that one sits on).

So you add Ruff to Lindy, and the name instantly becomes legendary.

Reactions: seventieslord

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
There was an OHL player a few years ago named Jonathan Laser who— alas!—only managed 5 goals across 4 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad