Players whose games were nothing like their last name

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm sure there are a lot of interesting instances of a team grabbing a player expecting him to be like his brothers or uncles or dad or whatever, expecting the last name to inject some culture into the lineup, and he totally disappointingly is not like them at all.

two recent examples are vancouver: we picked up markus granlund and our GM compared him patrice bergeron. but the expectation was that he would be a stereotypical finnish player like his brother, competitive, gritty, always moving his feet, just with a lower offensive ceiling. instead, he was one of the more passive players we'd seen in a while.

and then there's brandon sutter. traded to upgrade nick bonino with a "true" second line center, with the expectation that sutter means he will eat nails, set an example, and push a tractor uphill over his mother to get the puck. what we got was a lazy player who doesn't pass and calls out teenage teammates.

(obviously this thread isn't about where one player is awesome and the other sucks, like the gretzkys, or where one player is big and the other small, like the koivus, or where three players are good and the other is bad, like the staals. it's more like when you draft a sutter brother, the skill level might vary but you know what you're getting in the effort and toughness department, or when rookie ron hextall joined the flyers and was a violent maniac, you were like, yup that's about right.)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Al Iafrate was anything but a fraidy. He played with complete reckless abandon, with little regard for what it was doing to his body.

Lindy Ruff was actually pretty rough though.

Reactions: NHL WAR

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I don't think there was much risk in Troy GAMBLE and I'm willing to make a few Blair BETTS on that. I guess it's a matter of Scott LaCHANCE and how one Chuck ROLLES the dice or plays one's Tony HAND.
Yeah, I know, stop raising a Tanner GLASS full of Tuomas LAGER and and lay off the Bob BEERS, but it's okay. Graham DRINKWATER is my designated Bruce DRIVER.
Yikes that was terrible, maybe someday my posts will be Larry GOODENOUGH. sorry.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Not an actual name but there was guy back in the first international league in 1904–05 whose nickname was "Lady" (no idea why) but he was not stereotypically ladylike because he broke an opponent players leg on purpose among other things and also got a restraining order for beating up his wife. Then appeared in WWI and came back with a steel plate in his skull. I think that specific regiment wore kilts though, though perhaps not in actual combat.

Edit: William "Lady" Taylor - Wikipedia

Reactions: brachyrynchos

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Not an actual name but there was guy back in the first international league in 1904–05 whose nickname was "Lady" (no idea why) but he was not stereotypically ladylike because he broke an opponent players leg on purpose among other things and also got a restraining order for beating up his wife. Then appeared in WWI and came back with a steel plate in his skull. I think that specific regiment wore kilts though, though perhaps not in actual combat.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
There was that story that when Baz Bastien sent the Penguins first round draft choice to Montreal in 78, he believed he was trading for Steve Shutt but got Rod Schutt instead.

Pat Quinn loved his gritty forward Greg Adams so much that he traded for an even grittier Greg Adams to join him on the team. That was around the same time he traded for Dan Quinn - because obviously a good ol' Irish boy named Quinn must be tougher than a shillelagh.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
A couple obvious ones:

Brett Lindros, concussions aside, was certainly not close to his brother in terms of offensive skill. Could he have developed into a good power forward? Sure, but I think it's extremely unlikely that he would have become a 30 goal scorer, let alone a top player in the game.

Jared Staal was drafted higher than he probably should have been because of his name and his brothers.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Statistically Brett Hull looked like Bobby Hull, but stylistically he was clearly very different. Brett was a sniper but would never be confused for a jet.

Reactions: Sentinel

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mark Howe wasn’t really the intimidating guy that his father Gordie was.

In fact, it was well known that when all the Howe family played together, Gordie would go after anyone who took any liberties with his sons.

Gordie could hold a grudge for years so his warnings were taken seriously.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
okay here's another one.

when vancouver traded alex burrows to ottawa they got back ulf dahlen's son. ulf dahlen was a wonderful complementary top six guy, and likely would have been a perfect linemate for the sedins if they'd lined up generationally. dahlen was big, strong, a beast on the boards, forechecked, stormed the crease, and had a good scoring touch once he got there. he also was really good defensively, as evidenced by his late career run as a 50 point DPE scorer on a checking line with konowalchuk and halpern.

i think we were all excited about jonathan dahlen for exactly that reason. even though i don't think any of us expected the sedins to still be around by the time dahlen made the NHL, it was exciting that burrows was seemingly traded for his own replacement, a skilled dirty work guy—who had even been elias pettersson's linemate in sweden.

except that jonathan dahlen only had the hands, none of the lower body strength, and none of the will. he's small, slow, weak, a passive perimeter player, doesn't hold up to contact and usually avoids it, doesn't play d, and was eventually traded to the sharks for their third best karlsson (a 2018 third round pick) whereupon he promptly left to go back and play in the swedish league.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So, where we associate the name with a brand and the New Coke/Crystal Pepsi actually is nothing like the brand? Like Max Domi vs Tie? Where Max has skill and Tie had...interesting eyebrows?

i think it would be more like if max domi was this totally soft player who was scared of his own shadow. and if the GM who drafted him, or who later traded for him, acquired him expecting him to be a tough guy.

i like the name brand analogy though. a non-family example would be in the 1992 draft, st. louis looked around and saw that the best young forwards in the league were fedorov, bure, mogilny, and to a lesser degree kamensky, khristich, zelepukin, semak, etc., and thought, let's go draft some ex-soviet players. so they spent their first three picks on igor korolev, vitali prokhorov, and vitali karamnov. and so they learned that just because a guy's name ends in -ov doesn't mean he's going to score 30 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad