Players who will bounce back/breakout next year

Canuxxx

Aug 10, 2008
Which players will bounce back next year after an off year this year?

Or which players will breakout- guys that have never truly hit their ceiling?

I think the Flames have a couple of guys in Bennett and Jankowski. I also think Boeser on the Canucks will establish himself as a scorer in this league.Who else?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bouncebacks - Sami Vatanen where ever he ends up will bounce back. Giroux and Duchene are a couple of others who should have better years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm hoping for a Reilly breakout season. Hopefully he gets a consistent partner to play with (vatanen, tanev, De haan, harmonic etc) and gets more p.o. usage. He was injured last year bit was amazng in the 6 playoff games and final 4 to 5 games of the season. Hoping for a 40pt season with improved defensive play.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I'll toss a few names into the hat that could have a big jump next season:

Eichel 24-33-57
MacKinnon 16-37-53
Duchene 18-23-41
Drouin 21-32-53
Hall 20-33-53
Kopitar 12-40-52
Thornton 7-43-50
Sedins H 15-36-51, D 15-29-44
Nugent-Hopkins 18-25-43
Parise 19-23-42
Giroux 14-44-58

Breakouts:

Jake n Bake Guentzel 16-17-33 (in half a season)

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Breakout candidates: Provorov, Dvorak, Barkov (and Eichel if he counts)

Bounce back candidates: Varlamov, Patrick Sharp, Taylor Hall (and Stamkos if he counts)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bounce back- Callahan, it's almost impossible to be any worse than last season. Don't see him back to a 50 point player but hits 40 and plays more than 70 games.

Breakout- Namestnikov, see him getting a chance with Kucherov especially if we move a top 6 forward out. 20 goals and close to 50 points.

Honorable mention- Koekkoek, it's now or never for him so think he finally holds down a spot and ends the year in the top 4.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bounceback:

Giroux: somewhat hip dependent, but while he might not be a Hart contender again, he should be back to 70+ points

Duchene: obviously no one played up to par on the Avs. If he stays, he should at least bounce back to 55+. If he goes to the right team, he might see the high 60s

Thornton: too much hockey in 2016 for someone his age. He won't get back to 2nd team all star level, but should still be capable of 65+ points.

Kopitar: Seems to be alternating good and bad years. I'd be surprised if he didn't get back to 65-70 point level

Benn: didn't look right all year after surgery and the team being worse didn't help. I expect him to be back to 80+ points again

Landeskog: like Duchene, should at least get back to respectable levels at 50+ points

OEL: bad year on a bad team going nowhere. With some potential young talent on the way, I think he puts up 50 again, with better all around play

Ovechkin: might not his 50 goals again, but should be back to 40+

Muzzin: all around awful year that's unlikely to repeat itself

Toffoli: Should be back to a 25+ goal scorer.

RNH: if Drai stays on the first line, I expect RNH to get back to 55ish points on the 2nd line all year

Tavares: after two down years, I think he gets back to PPG

Stamkos: He looked back to his old self before the injury last year, and I think he'll finally stay healthy, and get back to elite scoring numbers.

Breakouts:

Drouin: I suppose last year was a bit of one, but he was still jerked around by Cooper. I expect him to establish himself as a 65+ point first liner

Burakovsky: Finally solidifies his spot in the top 6 and puts up 25 goals

Fabbri: Solidifies himself in the top 6 as the year goes on and puts up 55ish points

Hertl: Stays healthy and puts up 55+

Wennberg: Kinda broke out this year, but with some inflated PP numbers. I think he establishes himself as a top 20ish center though

Buchnevich: The forwards on the Rangers are pretty spread out with ice time, but I think he becomes the most dangerous, and competes with Stepan, Miller and Zucc for highest scorer

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sedins, for sure! They have been pitiful the last three seasons, so to reclaim their legacy they need to go out as top ten scorers. All they need is for Daniel to return to the form he had ten years ago. If he goes back to being a sniper with a fast release, the sky is the limit. Eriksson should be well rested after taking last season off, so he will be a big part of this. The rookie coach is key because the Sedins have more creds than he does so they can just ignore him. All good!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad