Players who were alcoholics...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Didier (Cannonball) Pitre, first Canadiens player ever signed, reminds of the Flying Frenchmen who are no more

Generously paid, his $3,000 peak salary as much as six times the average hockey wage, Pitre returned much of his earnings in fines for breaking training, his weight a constant burr in management’s saddle. Instead of water at intermission, he replenished lost fluid by drinking a pint of champagne.
He was 50 when he died of acute indigestion in 1934, and in 1963 was enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
There are more than 100 players with DUI and other alcohol related scandals over the years.
Just from the top of my head. Here are some guys who really battled with severe alcoholism (aside from the mentioned ones). Some Betty Ford visitors among them.

Paul Holmgren
John Kordic
Tom McCarthy
Bob Probert
Clint Malarchuk
Denis Tsygurov
Ken Daneyko
Derek Sanderson
Real Chevrefils
Dan Lacouture
Stephen Peat
Dave Hunter

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
William "Peg" Duval, defenseman of the Ottawa Hockey Club, died of alcoholism. In 1905, when he played for a Pittsburgh team.

He was sad because of relationship troubles, I think.

images

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Bernie Parent developed an alcohol problem after his career ending eye injury. Fortunately Bernie has been sober for nearly 40 years now. Below is an excerpt from a Philadelphia Magazine feature about Parent from 2007:

Two weeks after the injury, Parent’s vision returned, but his right eye would never focus properly again. His goaltending days were over. Retirement? He hadn’t given it a thought. With a family to support and no backup plan for his life, he was terrified. All the structure he’d known — games, practice, the camaraderie of the locker room, his technique — was taken away. Parent was a goalie without a system, in hockey or outside of it. Alcohol filled the void, and as Parent lost control of his drinking, his wife, Carol, gave him an Alcoholics Anonymous quiz with 24 questions. Answer three with a “yes,” and you’re probably in trouble. Parent answered 23 positively; “The 24th,” he says, “I lied about.” Parent put himself in AA, which he calls “The Program,” and 12 Steps replaced X’s and O’s as his game plan. “It made me realize that life has peaks and valleys,” he says. “I’m grateful that I’m an alcoholic. The accident, that took me to where I am today, one step at a time. And each step gets better and better.”

Legends: Bernie Parent Has a Secret - Philadelphia Magazine

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Bob probert
Theon fleury
Derek Sanderson

I still remember a article from SI when I was a kid about Derek. Something about having to sh** in a paper bag

Apr 27, 2016
Jere Karalahti. He also had potential to be one of the best defenceman in the world, but he would't go to NHL rehab program (or what it is called?), so he was not allowed to play in NHL.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Brian McGrattan is around 9 or 10 years sober now I believe. Working with the Flames to assist their guys and prospects to keep them on the straight and narrow. Think even before the role he got with the Flames he was very much there to help anyone in need, Ferland being one.

I believe one of the reasons he came over to the UK to play in his final season was to pursue education in the rehabilitation world, though I think the amount of alcohol his teammates that season sunk was probably a reason in him throwing in his 2 year deal and heading back to Calgary where they still love him and he pretty much walked into his current job role with the Flames. He's a great guy for that kind of role though and I hope many other teams offer former pro's similar positions.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Marek Svatos probably had an alcohol problem on top of painkiller addiction. And it's the mix of booze and drugs that usually takes people to the other side, not one, or the other, but both at once.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Jacques Richard, and Dale McCourt.

Ironically Scotty Bowman thought he was pawning off his own "part boy" Danny Gare on Detroit. Joke was on him with Dale.

From having drank with Danny a few times, I'd say Danny liked to drink, but was not - is not an alcoholic.

Reactions: Vanzig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad