Players who struggled early in their career, who you KNEW would get it right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Serious hockey fans develop their own little theories on players, and often (right or wrong) we think that we see a star developing whether it's a diamond in the rough, or a projected star who takes a little while to adjust. So my question is, whose success leaves you feeling vindicated because you KNEW it would happen, and secondly, who were you wrong about?
For myself:

Right:
Martin Straka: even though there were years where he struggled, I always thought that his combination of skill and hustle would win out.

Alex Kovalev: I know that he was never on the verge of falling out of the league but there were a lot of years where people were disappointed in his production, I was happy to see him do well in Pittsburgh.

Markus Naslund: I can claim to be one of the few people who actually knew the moment it happened, that we had fleeced Pittsburgh (giving up Stojanov for Nazzy), however, I can not claim that I knew he would become THIS good.

Pavol Demitra: Remember watching him in a few games early in his career with Ottawa and knew that with his natural skill level if he ever developed a better attitude he'd have a good career.

Zigmund Palffy: I have really liked him since the lockout shortened 94-95 (when I first started really watching hockey).

Derek Roy: He hasn't really had a phase of struggling but I certainly recall hoping against hope that the Canucks would draft him, as I thought he was underrated at the draft.

Maxim Afinogenov: probably my favorite player next to Markus Naslund. He hasn't fully put it together yet by any stretch, but he's having a decent year. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

I was WRONG on:

Zdenek Nedved: I don't even know if anyone else will remember him, but early in 95-96 he started the year with the Leafs (he was playing in that game when Domi sucker punched Ulf Samuelsson) well, I thought I saw a bright future for him...I was wrong.

Pavel Rosa: I recall watching the memorial cup on tv in...I think it was 97 when him and Christiian Dube were lighting it up for the Hull Olympiques. Sadly, his career was not to be. Not enough speed I think.

Alexandre Daigle: Yup, like many others I was taken in by his blazing speed and playmaking abilities. I stuck with him long after others had hopped off of the bandwagon as well. However, even though he's been sent to the minors recently I'm glad to see that he's got his career back on track to a degree.

Brandon Reid: perhaps, PERHAPS, it's not too late for this guy yet but...I recall watching him in junior, and feeling that we (canucks) had pulled a major coup in getting this guy in the 7th round of the draft...my confidence in him was buoyed by his performance in 02-03 against St. Louis in the playoffs...not looking great right now though.

There are other successes and failures that I have had to be sure, but these are the ones that spring to mind. Just thought this might be a fun thread, and if this has been done before than I apologize in advance.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can't really speak to players in the past because I don't really recall any off hand, but one that I think will find his game is Jamie Lundmark. He's always been blessed with a nice offensive skill set, just never got much of a chance to show it. Now in Calgary he's playing in their top 6 and is starting to show what he can do. I liked the deal at the deadline and I like it even more that I have seen Lundmark a few times.

KH1

The Good

Chris Campoli - I had a random hunch that he was going to be a good player when the Isles picked him in the 7th round. Some random hunches like that work out.

Rick DiPietro - The Rick has always had his doubters and while I'm not going to sit here and try to justify the trade I am going say that I always pegged him as a franchise goalie. But for some reason as recently as the Olympic break this season he's had major detractors saying that he will never be more than an alright player. He's making me look awful smart.

The Bad

Kris Beech - I always thought that Beech had star potential. He isn't done yet but my prediction of him as a top center certainly doesn't look good.

The Ugly

Dimitri Chernykh - I also had a hunch that Dimitri Chernykh was going to be the Isles next big star. He could be dead for all I know; that's how little we hear about him now.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
King Henry I said:
The Good

Rick DiPietro - The Rick has always had his doubters and while I'm not going to sit here and try to justify the trade I am going say that I always pegged him as a franchise goalie. But for some reason as recently as the Olympic break this season he's had major detractors saying that he will never be more than an alright player. He's making me look awful smart.

I still don't think he's gonna be a franchise goalie. He's been much better since the Olympics, but a 3.08GAA and .899SVPCT. aren't much to say for a supposed #1 and future franchise goalie. The jury is still way out on that one.

KH1

Kritty said:
I still don't think he's gonna be a franchise goalie. He's been much better since the Olympics, but a 3.08GAA and .899SVPCT. aren't much to say for a supposed #1 and future franchise goalie. The jury is still way out on that one.
Keep in mind that until about 3 weeks ago he was playing behind what I would consider to be the worst defense in hockey. He's carried the Isles to keep them in contention until they finally got taken out by Montreal (in a game where any Habs fan will tell you that DiPietro was once again astounding.)

He's already led his team to the playoffs once and he performed very well there last season. I don't know how you can say that DiPietro isn't going to be a franchise goalie but somebody like Fleury, who's proven absolutely nothing, is going to be one.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I always knew Martin Havlat would be quite ordinary. ;)

Whereas Robert Dome would surely shine.

I was right about Marian Hossa.

And I am still waiting for Jens Karlsson to dominate the NHL (anyone remember him?).

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
The good - Michael Ryder... I met him during his first habs rookie camp and thought he'd be special. I had my doubts when he was sent down to the ECHL, but I'm glad he's pulled it together.

The bad - Marcel Hossa... I also met him during his first habs rookie camp and though he had hurt his knee, I thought he rehabbed really hard and would be a good one. He may still be, but consistency will always be tough on him. I also have a hunch that he'd be better if he was moved back to center (his natural position)

The bad - I was always a big Mathieu Garon fan, but he's really stinkin' it up in LA now.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
the right:

Sedins. I had been defending these guys forever to other Canuck fans.

the wrong:

Martin Erat - He has Jagr like puck strength at times, I really thought he would have 40+ goals this year.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Rico Fata. He's going to explode offensively soon :sarcasm:

Seriously:
Stanislav Chistov- I thought he would be a total star. I guess not.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
King Henry I said:
Keep in mind that until about 3 weeks ago he was playing behind what I would consider to be the worst defense in hockey. He's carried the Isles to keep them in contention until they finally got taken out by Montreal (in a game where any Habs fan will tell you that DiPietro was once again astounding.)

He's already led his team to the playoffs once and he performed very well there last season. I don't know how you can say that DiPietro isn't going to be a franchise goalie but somebody like Fleury, who's proven absolutely nothing, is going to be one.

Hey!!

The Pens are the worst defense in hockey thank you very much!
:D

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
MarkusNaslund19 said:
Maxim Afinogenov: probably my favorite player next to Markus Naslund. He hasn't fully put it together yet by any stretch, but he's having a decent year. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

One of my favorites as well. From the first time I watched him I thought the back of his jersey should've just said "Sick Hockey Player" and I felt he was going to breakout at any moment. Very nice year this year, but I think he can be (and will be) even better.

The first time I saw Mike Danton play in camp, I knew he would play for the Devils. His life took a tragic turn, but he was a pretty good hockey player. Not a lot of offense but tons of grit and heart, good speed, and a tremendous hitter.

Stanislav Chistov- I thought he would be a total star. I guess not.

Yeah, when the Devils won the cup in 2003 I remember thinking we were lucky that Chistov wasn't a few years older. Guess it wouldn't have mattered. Too bad, he looked like he was going to be real good.

My current bet is Alexander Frolov. Regressed a little, but I think he will be a major star.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i remember thinking gionta would be good (and he is)

i remember thinking Jani Rita would be good, and he just isnt

raskolnikov

Sep 13, 2005
LI
us isles fans always knew ziggy would be good. There never really was a time where he wasn't so its not like he came out of no where he just came from a bad team.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Erik Cole never really struggled more than the rest of his team but I always figured he would be top 6 material with that skating ability (plus the awesome hits).

Uh... I guess I figured Paul Healey and Harold Druken would turn out to be useful someday. But I was young and ignorant.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Right - Erik Cole, Markus Naslund, Alexi Kovalev

The Wrong -
Rob Zepp, figured after a ton of success in the ECHL he would go on to be a solid goalie, but it never panned out that way.

Matej Trojovsky - After seeing him in the Canes camp I thought he was going to be an absolute force of a defenseman from a physical standpoint, but the guy just doesn't seem to have it.

The Ugly -
Dimirti Chernykh - I think he could be a star, but what the hell is going on with him? I haven't heard a thing about him seemingly since he was drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->