Players who retired surprisingly early

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HHOFer Frank McGee had a 4-year career in which he dominated as the top scorer on the Stanley Cup dynasty Silver Seven.

He retired at age 23 to work at a government job in Ottawa, he coming from an upper class family, feeling a responsibility to serve. Eight years later he joined the war effort and died a decorated officer.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Some Europeans head back home voluntarily at the height of their careers.

Hakan Loob went back to Sweden at age 28 after a mere 6 NHL seasons, scoring 50 goals, 106 points his fifth year, 85 points his last NHL season, scoring 17 playoff points in Calgary's successful Stanley Cup run that postseason. Then he walked away.

Why did he turn down a huge new contract? He wanted his kids to grow up in Sweden. So, he went and led the Swedish league in scoring and became its MVP.

Similarly,... Kenny Jonsson was a widely respected defenseman for the Islanders who ended his NHL career early for the same exact reason.

Reactions: Vanzig

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How is Lidstrom not on this list?

He won a Norris in his 2nd last season and could've played a few more years like Chara is right now.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
According to Gretzky, Bob Goodish was the best player he played against as a kid, from age 8 to 16. Goodish was 6ft 195 lbs at the age if 14, Wayne considered him an incredible physical defensenan with skills. Goodish burned out after playing for London Knights (264-30-112-142 387 penalty minutes). Turned down an offer from the Colorado Rockies to play
for University of Western Ontario Mustangs while earning a business degree, then stopped playing hockey.
THN Mike Brophy 'The Great One': "I can always remember my dad saying, 'play like Goodish and you'll play in the NHL" Gretzky told the Hockey News in 1994. "He had everything; he had speed, he had hockey sense, he had size. In pee wee, he was probably the better player than me." Goodish: "I was a victim of junior hockey. Alot of people took the fun out of the game for me, the way yhey trwated people. The coaches, the managers, the owners, they're in it to make money. I understand that. The thing is, we were just kids." Would've liked to have seen how he would've done if he kept playing, or signed with Calgary or Winnipeg and how the pee wee rivalry would've carried over to the NHL, especially playoff time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
According to Gretzky, Bob Goodish was the best player he played against as a kid, from age 8 to 16. Goodish was 6ft 195 lbs at the age if 14, Wayne considered him an incredible physical defensenan with skills. Goodish burned out after playing for London Knights (264-30-112-142 387 penalty minutes). Turned down an offer from the Colorado Rockies to play
for University of Western Ontario Mustangs while earning a business degree, then stopped playing hockey.
THN Mike Brophy 'The Great One': "I can always remember my dad saying, 'play like Goodish and you'll play in the NHL" Gretzky told the Hockey News in 1994. "He had everything; he had speed, he had hockey sense, he had size. In pee wee, he was probably the better player than me." Goodish: "I was a victim of junior hockey. Alot of people took the fun out of the game for me, the way yhey trwated people. The coaches, the managers, the owners, they're in it to make money. I understand that. The thing is, we were just kids." Would've liked to have seen how he would've done if he kept playing, or signed with Calgary or Winnipeg and how the pee wee rivalry would've carried over to the NHL, especially playoff time.

given everything that has come out recently about hazing and systematic bullying in canadian major junior hockey, i wonder what really happened to that guy in london.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
given everything that has come out recently about hazing and systematic bullying in canadian major junior hockey, i wonder what really happened to that guy in london.
To me, it sounds like he liked playing but felt a little, not sure of the best word; like a pawn, in that he just wanted to play without the pressure his coach, gm, and owners were feeling to succeed, putting it on a bunch of teenagers. Their jobs on the line projected onto the players, and like Goodish said, it took the fun out of playing. I'm curious to find out if it was just a London thing or a matter of the game slowly becoming more of a business than a sport. Cheers.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Guys who got hurt and retired can't really be surprising to me.

The best example I can think of is the aforementioned Larmer, who was still extremely solid when he called it quits and only 33.

Edit- and Dryden, how could I forget

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanzig and Babych44

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Brian Rafalski.

Yea, he was almost 38, had some injury issues and had entered scapegoat territory with Red Wings fans. However, he was a little over a year removed from a pretty solid showing with a silver medal winning US Olympic team and had one year left at $6M.

His retirement was also oddly convenient for the Red Wings, considering they were going to be in a pretty deep cap crunch needing to extend a few guys for what would've been Rafalski's last season.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Keeping with the Les Canadiennes theme ... Ken Dryden retired in 1979 at Age 31. He played just 8 pro seasons, winning 5 Vezina Trophies and playing on 6 Stanley Cup winning rosters.

Dryden I feel never really loved hockey as much as he should. Always too occupied with useless bureaucratic political/lawyering mumbo jumbo. However his play was starting to slip a bit in 78-79 and the Habs were just about to hit a decline so he got out before the going was about to get tough for him. Retired on top

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Brian Rafalski.

Yea, he was almost 38, had some injury issues and had entered scapegoat territory with Red Wings fans. However, he was a little over a year removed from a pretty solid showing with a silver medal winning US Olympic team and had one year left at $6M.

His retirement was also oddly convenient for the Red Wings, considering they were going to be in a pretty deep cap crunch needing to extend a few guys for what would've been Rafalski's last season.

Wasn't he very dedicated to some religious cause or something like that IIRC which prompted his retirement?

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Tom Edur retired in '78 at age 23 to devote his life to the Jehovah's Witness religion. He wasn't a superstar, but he was Pittsburgh's top-scoring defenceman his final season, and could've had a long career if he wanted. The Oilers tried to convince to sign with them when they joined the NHL in '79.
He had 55 points his final year, 11th best for defencemen.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Wasn't he very dedicated to some religious cause or something like that IIRC which prompted his retirement?
I've seen it as religious, I've seen it as wanting to spend more time with the family, but he also had knee/back problems.

Just about everybody outside of his family who was informed of Brian Rafalski's decision to retire from hockey had the same, basic reaction.

There was silence, followed by a one-word question: "What?"

Rafalski, a 37-year old defenseman, still had one year left on a five-year contract that he signed in 2007 with the Detroit Red Wings that would've paid him $6 million. His production hadn't slipped, despite a frustrating season wrought with nagging injuries to his knee and back.
Commitment to family leads Rafalski to retire

That was in May 2011 when he made the announcement. He had a brief comeback with an ECHL team in Florida, but retired three weeks later.

January 9, 2014
On Thursday the Florida Everblades of the ECHL announced that they have signed the 40-year-old Rafalski, who hasn't played in the NHL since 2010-11 with the Red Wings when a knee issue led him to retire at the age of 37.
However last week in Detroit Rafalski put on the Winged Wheel again for the Alumni Showdown outdoors at Comerica Park and apparently that gave him the itch to play professionally again, thus the deal with the Everblades.
Brian Rafalski returning to pro hockey with ECHL Florida Everblades

January 28, 2014
Former Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brian Rafalski has ended his comeback attempt with the EHCL’s Florida Everblades, retiring for good.
“I’m done,” Rafalski told the Fort Myers News-Press. “My back is no good. That was one of the hurdles.”
Rafalski, 40, played only three games with the Everblades, picking up one assist. He told the News-Press that his back acted up after his first game on Jan. 10 and experienced more back pain after playing on consecutive nights, Jan. 17-18.
“After playing two games, it inflamed the nerves in my back so I’m done,” Rafalski said. “I felt like I played pretty well the last game. I was getting my timing and the game seemed to slow down.”
Former Red Wings defenseman Brian Rafalski ends his comeback attempt in ECHL, retires again

And although surprising might be part of it, I'm not sure if qualifies as surprisingly early. He was 37, had 11 seasons in the NHL and another 4 overseas when he originally retired.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Dave Kerr at the age of 31 in 1941.

Kerr was First Team All Star in 1940. Had a bit rougher season after that and Lester Patrick (allegedly) was considering trading him. Kerr decided to retire instead. Canadiens offered contract later that season, but Kerr declined. As late as 1946 he was training with Maple Leafs and there were talks of him being their spare goalie.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
jacques lemaire always felt to me like he should have been one of those henri richard/cournoyer/savard guys who played forever. if he'd been on the '86 team it would have felt right to me. he would have been way too old to have hung around with robinson and gainey for '89 though.

and speaking of lemaire, we talk about dryden winning almost every year in his career. but lemaire is bill russell-esque. eight cups in twelve seasons. started off his career with back-to-backs and skated off on four in a row.

Very under rated player IMO, wondering if Patrice Bergeron is his modern equivalent in terms of being under rated overall?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad