Players who joined a team, but never actually played for them.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
February 23, 2018 - Ian Cole traded by Pittsburgh to Ottawa
February 26, 2018 - Ian Cole traded by Ottawa to Columbus after not suiting up for the Senators.

Also, Patrick Lalime was traded to Anaheim by Pittsburgh in 1998. He tried out with the Mighty Ducks, appeared in the pre-season, before being sent to the minors. He was traded to Ottawa in 1999 after not playing a regular season game with Anaheim.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1980 Miracle On Ice winger Rob McClanahan had a promising 82-83 season with the Rangers, reunited with coach Herb Brooks, playing on a line with Mark Pavelich & Ron Duguay. The next year a humdrum training camp, an injury & a lot of forward depth saw him down on the farm. In May of 84 he was dealt to the Wings, but before he could suit up he was traded to Vancouver in August for Tiger Williams. He was already working as a stock broker in New York that summer when he heard the news. He retired at 25 to pursue a career in the stock market rather than report to the Canucks.

forgot he refused to report

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I know Daigle never played for Edmonton. He was traded in the same summer I believe.. (same day). lol

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Glenn Anderson with the Canucks. The Oilers really kinda screwed him there.

He wanted to finish up his career in his hometown in front of his parents

The oilers claimed him on waivers out of spite for Pat Quinn for some kind of slight the season prior

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Mark Howe drafted by the Bruins but was always going to the WHA to play with his dad and brother.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Edmonton Oilers great, Gilles Meloche.

During that time Oilers had eye on many veteran goalies. Though most of them were just training camp invitees so under OP´s rules don´t count. After they traded Meloche they brought Mike Palmateer to the training camp. He played during echibition games (85-86), but was released. Early in the season they brought Ron Low back.

f9b67487a7f0aae0c9a095c7be02dff7.jpg

Season after that they brought another veteran who had been out of hockey for a season. Michel Dion was invited to a training camp. Played in atleast few exhibition games wearing #66 (sadly don´t have picture about that). Oilers gave him possibility to have a short 8 to 10 game stint in Nova Scotia Oilers, but Dion preferred to retire.

And on next season it was Don Edwards turn to get invited to the camp. He plaeyd in exhibtion games and a stint in Nova Scotia.
tspa_0045402f.jpg

And ofcourse earlier (79-80) than that Doug Favell was shortly an Oiler. Reported to camp, but to my knowledge never played. Decided to retire during training camp. Ofcourse hockey card exist out of this.
1979-80-o-pee-chee-274-doug-favell-215x300.jpg

Reactions: Doctor No

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
During that time Oilers had eye on many veteran goalies. Though most of them were just training camp invitees so under OP´s rules don´t count. After they traded Meloche they brought Mike Palmateer to the training camp. He played during echibition games (85-86), but was released. Early in the season they brought Ron Low back.

f9b67487a7f0aae0c9a095c7be02dff7.jpg

Season after that they brought another veteran who had been out of hockey for a season. Michel Dion was invited to a training camp. Played in atleast few exhibition games wearing #66 (sadly don´t have picture about that). Oilers gave him possibility to have a short 8 to 10 game stint in Nova Scotia Oilers, but Dion preferred to retire.

And on next season it was Don Edwards turn to get invited to the camp. He plaeyd in exhibtion games and a stint in Nova Scotia.
tspa_0045402f.jpg

And ofcourse earlier (79-80) than that Doug Favell was shortly an Oiler. Reported to camp, but to my knowledge never played. Decided to retire during training camp. Ofcourse hockey card exist out of this.
1979-80-o-pee-chee-274-doug-favell-215x300.jpg
That Doug Favell hockey card is great. I remember having it when I was a kid. It's really representative of this thread.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I believe McElhinney was briefly Lightning property before, but never played. That has changed after signing as a free agent in Tampa this summer.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Tim Cheveldae was traded by Winnipeg to the Flyers late in the 1995-96 season. Cheveldae never donned a Flyer uniform as he played 7 games in the AHL before signing with Boston that offseason.

BigMike79

Apr 24, 2016
Bengt-Åke Gustafsson played his last NHL season with the Caps in 1988-89 then decided to go back home and play for Färjestad and raise a family. A year later, Detroit selects him in the 1990 waiver draft even though he had no intention of returning to North America. Well, a year later in the '91 expansion draft San Jose selects him. Not quite sure why, unless like the Red Wings they thought he might be interested in coming back. He never actually joined these teams so he might not apply...just found it interesting.

I remember those old expansion and waiver drafts of the early 90s, lots of European players who either did play in the NHL or were under contract to teams but playing in Europe were listed as available. Some guys were old but i remember some impressive names on the lists like Gustafsson who you mentioned. Mats Naslund, Hakan Loob, Guy Lafleur etc...

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad