Players Who Could Play Other Positions:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
MIght as well make Dan Girardi a goalie. He thinks he's a goalie and sreens Lundqvist all the time.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have a feeling Nicklas Grossmann may be a better goalie than D man! :laugh:

He must make ~3 ridiculous goal-line saves a season.

Couturier could play D very well I am pretty sure.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
inb4:

1. "Karlsson at forward."

2. "I thought Karlsson was already a forward!!!!!11111"

3. "What? It's not his fault he's playing on a weak team with no defensive partner."

4. "Every time I see him, he's failing at defence."

5. "He plays close to 30 minutes a game! It's little wonder his mistakes add up."

6. "He's just not that good at playing defence. He should play forward."

7. "You should have seen him over (insert segment of time)."

8. "You can't just take a subset of games to prove your argument. Anyone can look good in a limited sample size."

9. "His skill-set is elite - the defence will come."

10. "I don't believe you."

Had this prepared in your documents right

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Matt Gilroy played both during his NHL tenure, so has Stu Pickles.

I think John Moore could be a serviceable LW.

TrustyPatches*

Connor McDavid can coach, play defense and play goalie. FACTS!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Alex Burrows is always the guy the Canucks broadcast talks about as a defenceman fill-in if we have a couple dmen go down in a game.

Kevin Bieksa played a few games at forward earlier in his career when we had a ton of injuries at forward. I always thought he'd make a great 3rd line power forward since he actually has some decent offensive skill and ability to drive to the net and play in the corners.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Fedorov is one that comes to mind for past players. He was placed on defense a few times in his career and did very well and honestly looked like if he played the position permanently he could have won a Norris.

Now, obviously Burns and Byfuglien. They seem to be the only ones IMO that can play both positions well.

Evergreen

Mark Streit would be a solid winger. He's not very big, and he's got amazing offensive instincts. I'm pretty sure he's played wing before as well (in Montreal).

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Brandon McMillan can play defense. Not in the NHL, but in the AHL he could probably be ok. He can also play both center and wing.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Basically every single NHL defenseman could be a "serviceable" 4th line winger at a minimum, some better than that.

I'd think that the majority of forwards could take a few shifts on defense and not look too out of place either, but the mistakes would start to pile up and become obvious over the long run.

Goalie is a different story though. Really, if you are an NHL level skater (and I mean the skill of skating, not the positional distinction), you can play both forward and defense without looking completely lost, at least for a short time.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone remember a few years ago when Calgary made all their dmen play forward and forwards play defense? Who looked better lol

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I think a defence has a better chance of being a good forward than vice-versa. Defensive responsibility is extremely hard and thankless. Even a scrub forward gets congratulated from time to time, but a defensive defenceman can play his whole career flying under the radar.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Hamilton converted from F to D. He could be a good forward, but he's much more effective as a defenseman.

Krug played a few games at wing for us when a lot of our forwards were hurt. Didn't look awful, but he was also on the 4th line.

Bergeron could definitely be a defenseman. Has a great shot from the point and has one of the best defensive instincts in the game.

Aug 3, 2010
Phaneuf would probably do quite well as a second-line winger.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
As said, Streit/Buff/Burns/Gilroy have all played both F and D. Pattern? Gilroy aside, be a quality skater and/or huge and have hands for puckhandling/puck control and a high end offensive brain/abilities. So probably........Karlsson/Doughty/Letang/Subban/maybe Keith/Mike Green might still. Maybe Barrie, but he's too early to gauge. Shattenkirk might be on the border too. I really really really want to say Dougie Hamilton too, but he's so young still, but damn that talent/size/skating, I think he could easily be a top 6 forward 1 day, simililar to Burns.

F to D is harder to gauge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->