WJC: Players, we will not see

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As far as I know, all of them just didn't make the roster.

Rajaniemi made last year's team.

Alright thanks. I'm trying to update the thread detailing players who miss the WJC due to staying in the NHL (or other similar situations) and this year seems a bit trickier than most with players declining invitations or agreeing with the federation to stay in the AHL.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Alright thanks. I'm trying to update the thread detailing players who miss the WJC due to staying in the NHL (or other similar situations) and this year seems a bit trickier than most with players declining invitations or agreeing with the federation to stay in the AHL.
I hate it when they don't get released by AHL. It's a very euro perspective but AHL is a develoent league. AHL players should always be allowed to represent.

Reactions: Statsy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hate it when they don't get released by AHL. It's a very euro perspective but AHL is a develoent league. AHL players should always be allowed to represent.

Canadians would be pretty pissed if a player missed the WJC just to stay in the AHL. Hasn't happened all that often though, off the top of my head Brent Burns was held off of the 2005 team in favour of the AHL and I believe Rico Fata a few years earlier. People accept a player staying in the NHL, though not as much when the player is getting limited ice time.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canadians would be pretty pissed if a player missed the WJC just to stay in the AHL. Hasn't happened all that often though, off the top of my head Brent Burns was held off of the 2005 team in favour of the AHL and I believe Rico Fata a few years earlier. People accept a player staying in the NHL, though not as much when the player is getting limited ice time.
NHL... Zero problem... Canada obviously has more issues as their best are already NHL players. But when you have 5 good players and one can't go because AHL.. it stings!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
NHL... Zero problem... Canada obviously has more issues as their best are already NHL players. But when you have 5 good players and one can't go because AHL.. it stings!

Who has missed the tournament in order to stay in the AHL lately?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thats why its shocking for me that they did not take out any 2004 born. Like Lutz, Ketcher, M.Elias, Hauf. And 2003 born Hänelt.

Anyways Germany still have a pretty strong first line with Alexander Blank and Florian Elias.

Well, Lutz is injured and so is Hänelt.
Kechter, Elias and Hauf are not having the kind of seasons that would make them locks for this team.

I am more surprised based on recent form that Yannick Proske did not make the team. He is pretty clearly better than at least a hand full of forwards that made the roster.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Well, Peterka would have played, but the Sabres did not allow it, because they are worried about COVID. In case they lose several players to COVID protocol, they want the best options for call ups from Rochester available. That includes Peterka.

Reichel is the one who decided himself, that he wanted to stay in the AHL and maybe earn a promotion to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad