Players the Isles Should Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I think Leino would be a good fit (although that would spell the end of PAP and breaking up Ok-Frans-Grabs as JT needs to play with a righty.

But priority needs to be at least one big, physical, body on defense.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
could he have been overworked? NHL schedule (prospect camp + training camp + preseason + first 9 games) to WHL then to WJC and then back to WHL and WHL playoffs. That's a lot of hockey in one year.

and so is a prospect camp, a training camp, a preseason, an 82 game (!!!!!!!) regular season and however many playoff games the isles MIGHT get. many on this board are ready to hand all of these games over to him. is his body ready, though? perhaps his playoff performance indicates it isn't...perhaps.

i'm a big fan of keeping players in juniors until they're overripe...i don't think niederreiter is yet. just one man's opinion.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
On the Nino/Playoff situation, does Vancouver look to get rid of or value H. Sedin less because of a poor playoff series at the end of the season? It happens sometimes. We don't have anywhere near enough info to make any kind of statements about what happened. He could have been nursing a nagging injury, maybe Portland should have rested him at the end of the regular season like the NHL does with many of their stars. He had a great regular season and playoffs as far a points go, and sometimes you get stuck in a bad matchup at a very important time. We'll see how he looks come mini-camp and training camp.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
In case anyone didn't see it Botta put up his UFA post part 1 on pointblank, with the first part summing up the forwards. He lists Ville Leino, Joel Ward, Brooks Laich, Tomas Fleischmann, Jussi Jokinen and Eric Cole as the main players to watch plus a few others on one year deals.

Here's the link: http://www.islanderspointblank.com/...fa-preview-part-i-forwards-for-the-islanders/

Botta's a very good hockey writer and a true NYI fan, I always appreciate his view on the team and his realistic, thought-through articles. I really wish the NYI had 2-3 proper writers following the team and adding some critical thought & insights. It's a shame he's still banned by the team and that it's become a "non-story" again.

NOW, on the players he suggested, I like all of them although we don't need all of them.

I think the NYI may land one player at that level and I'm hoping for Leino because I believe he's the smartest player of the bunch, great passer, reliable in all zones and plays like an experienced vet who'll stabilize all the youthful exuberance on the team. And he's just 27.

But the fact they gave Parenteau 1.2 Million and will likely have Niederreiter in the top nine, I have a feeling they'll just look to fill the 4th line and maybe at a top 4 defenseman.

Koobs11

aka Back door Johnny
Feb 4, 2007
Adirondacks
I really think we should resign Z for 1 mil....Erhoff should be our number one target that fails, we target Cam Baker or possibly Matt Gilroy

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I really think we should resign Z for 1 mil....Erhoff should be our number one target that fails, we target Cam Baker or possibly Matt Gilroy

If they haven't re-signed z by now I highly doubt it happens ever. I would like to see erhoff but no to gilroy please.

@redbull I really hope Garth is going into July 1st looking to upgrade over paps, but like you I worry that he is not.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
But the fact they gave Parenteau 1.2 Million and will likely have Niederreiter in the top nine, I have a feeling they'll just look to fill the 4th line and maybe at a top 4 defenseman.

Folks, don't get your hopes up.

A Kenopka replacement and maybe another sly signing on a two-way deal for a bubble guy is about ALL we should expect.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Cam Baker was just waived today, I think its worth a shot, big body,with offensive edge worth a shot imo

The problem is the $3M salary for very little production...he was pretty bad for Minny (hence the reason he is on waivers even after they moved Burns) and can't be counted on to be a top-4 defenseman.

If Wang was willing to open up the checkbook enough that we could add Barker at his salary and still add another top-4 d and a forward, sure. Or if he is bought out and would come cheap.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Cam Baker was just waived today, I think its worth a shot, big body,with offensive edge worth a shot imo
This might be a bit of an overstatement but Barker is not much more than a bigger bodied Bruno Gervais.
He was highly regarded but his unimpressive work in Chicago lead to them moving him with no regrets. Now he is on waivers? Sorry, he doesn't add anything.
I would take Anton Babchuk over Barker any day.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In the take it for what it's worth category

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Islanders would love to grab Jovanovski out of Phoenix, but most fell Jovo loves it so much in the Phoenix area he will re-sign

In terms of what the Islanders need Jovo and Hannan are 2 UFAs who stick out in terms of big defensive defensemen(although they more second pairing guys then top pairing)

IslesBeBack*

Jovanovski already KOd a deal to the Isles 2 years ago. No way he changes his mind to leave beautiful Phoenix for the rebuilding Islanders. Add to that, the guy sucks.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip

The way Barker has played the last 2 years, we were better off with Gervais. Gervais is just the cheaper of the traffic cones.

If you have watched Barker play, he is an expensive 7th defenseman.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Jovanovski already KOd a deal to the Isles 2 years ago. No way he changes his mind to leave beautiful Phoenix for the rebuilding Islanders. Add to that, the guy sucks.
Speaking of the Yotes, what about Vrbata? Old, but we could probably get him for 2 mil. 40 point scorer, possibly more, but seems like a realistic option. I also wouldn't mind getting Joel Ward either... might have to give him a little more than he made last year, but a big, tough winger could be good for us. If for nothing else, just to take the body on the forecheck. Not expecting more than 40 pts from a guy most likely on the 3rd/4th line.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I guess the Devs are interested...

Wild have put Cam Barker on Waivers (NJ Devils may make a play)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Please stop with the HB links. I would be stunned that the Devs "may make a play" at him - unconscionable.

Not surprising the Isles fans would want waiver fodder.

Upshall? How many teams is this guy gonna play on where every team deems him expendable. He's either too expensive (he would have learned that lesson already) or there is something there that does not click. The latter pretty much rules him out of Snow's radar.

Koobs11

aka Back door Johnny
Feb 4, 2007
Adirondacks
Please stop with the HB links. I would be stunned that the Devs "may make a play" at him - unconscionable.

Not surprising the Isles fans would want waiver fodder.

Upshall? How many teams is this guy gonna play on where every team deems him expendable. He's either too expensive (he would have learned that lesson already) or there is something there that does not click. The latter pretty much rules him out of Snow's radar.

In defense for those of us who want to take a shot at Baker, I for one do not see him as the savior of the Defense or the second coming of christ or like Keith or Seabrook, I see it as a possible turn around and great addition to our defense, if it fails we have another hillen,gervis on our team and we bench his ass, if he can turn it around and fits our system then great if not owell, we kill some of that cap we need to get to the floor and have a worthless warm body, if he works out then we have an Option to go with.

Main target should be Erhoff and Jovo would be nice, Ballard perhaps but this is free, and we can still sign somone else if they should choose to sign, this just helps and gives us size and a body, I dont think he will be as bad as Gervis, I think he could pan out in our system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad