Players the Isles Should Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennesseeJedd

Jan 19, 2011
This thread should be retitled " Who do you think Garth will offer a lowball contract to, knowing they wont sign here, so he can tell the fans how hard he tried to make the team better but will not deviate from the plan."

Blacksheep71

Jun 13, 2010
London, England
I still wouldn't mind seeing Snow trying to move Nabokov and the rights to Gregoire and Joensuu for Hudler and Ericsson, since it seems like Detroit is looking to move Hudler and doesn't look to come to terms with Ericsson (although Swedish reports indicate that talks are going better than initial reports have stated). I think we'd be fairly set as Hudler has a certain level of creativity that I think would fit real well here while Ericsson is another big man who is a bit of an all-rounder. Neither is cheap but certainly both are affordable for the Isles and there's no guarantee that Snow can get players of their quality on the open market for the prices they come at.

The deal would seem to make sense for Detroit as well, especially if it could be determined in advance that Gregoire and the Wings would easily agree to terms.

Any offer over $2m will be tough for the Red Wings to match and keep under the cap

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The top two lines cannot be changed unless we remove Parenteau and add RW that is capable of playing with Tavares. Reality is, Parenteau will be here next year and clearly has the potential to put up the points. Is he great? No, he's pretty much "not good". But he puts up the points and is good with JT. He's here to stay next year, then it's "so long PA!" in 12-13.

Scottie Upshall is more suited for the 3rd line, where I think he would be a good fit. He's very similar to Comeau. I can't see a scenario where Nino doesn't make the team, although I'd like to see that happen to "overdevelop" him like the Blues did with Pietrangelo. You can't make a wrong decision with this.

As for a defenseman, I'd love to get one of Bieksa, White, or Babchuk. I'd also like to sign Mathieu Garon.

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Comeau-Bailey-Upshall/Niederreiter
Martin-Konopka-Hunter/Haley

Streit-Bieksa/White/Babchuk
MacDonald-Hamonic
Eaton-Jurcina
Mottau/Wishart

Montoya
DiPietro/Garon

I really like Ian White, also try Upshall on line 1, he was drafted 8th and i believe he can be a 60 pt. guy if he gets healthly and plays with a guy like Tavares.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Considering they are looking to shed salary something might make sense around Hillen + some draft picks/lesser prospects. Can't imagine there are too many teams looking to take on 3MM and give up good prospects when they can just go out and sign someone in FA.

I like Hillen a lot but it seems like other guys who fill a similar role have ascended past him. Not to mention higher ceiling guys like De Haan and Donovan waiting in the wings.

Don't think the Canucks would have much of a need for a player such as Hillen, but if Ballard is made available, I imagine there will be a number of teams interested. One disappointing season isn't likely to scare teams away. It's one thing to assume you can go out and sign a puckmoving defenseman capable of top 4 minutes, it's another to actually do it. A big reason why Gillis made the move for Ballard is because he wanted to add depth to the defense and didn't want to risk not being able to add anyone in UFA.

Signing Bieksa would obviously be the top choice since it only costs $ and he is killing it this post season, although one wonders if that's not just a coincidence. His injury history also gives some pause as well.

Before this season there were many rumours that could be dealt but Gillis stuck with him and Bieksa has said many times that Vancouver is where he wants to be and he wants to stay. I can't imagine the two sides won't be able to come to agreement, assuming they haven't already.

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
Don't think the Canucks would have much of a need for a player such as Hillen, but if Ballard is made available, I imagine there will be a number of teams interested. One disappointing season isn't likely to scare teams away. It's one thing to assume you can go out and sign a puckmoving defenseman capable of top 4 minutes, it's another to actually do it. A big reason why Gillis made the move for Ballard is because he wanted to add depth to the defense and didn't want to risk not being able to add anyone in UFA.

Before this season there were many rumours that could be dealt but Gillis stuck with him and Bieksa has said many times that Vancouver is where he wants to be and he wants to stay. I can't imagine the two sides won't be able to come to agreement, assuming they haven't already.

All of that's understood, but with less then 14MM in cap room and just 13 players under contract, not including Bieksa & Ehrhoff, one would think something is going to have to give. Is it not highly likely that those two could command more then $5MM/year? This is the same league that gave Paul Martin 5/25 just a year ago. Is it insane to think that to keep both of the aforementioned players Ballard could be moved to free up some $?

As for the trade possibilities sure plenty of teams will be lining up. Admittedly I have no idea what the market will be - but - I think a 25 year old replacement along with more then $3MM in cap savings is a very solid starting place. 2 seasons ago Hillen looked like an emerging top 4 mainstay. While he might have taken a step back this past season he still put up 22 points and posted a pretty respectable -5.

There could always be a similarly valued player the scouts like more and maybe picks/prospects are needed to even this out, but I think this type of trade is a very realistic possibility if Vancouver intends to spend $10MM+ resigning Ehrhoff and Bieksa.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
This thread should be retitled " Who do you think Garth will offer a lowball contract to, knowing they wont sign here, so he can tell the fans how hard he tried to make the team better but will not deviate from the plan."

Or how about "Who's agent will Garth blackmail to tell lies to the media about how Garth offered the most to his client, when obviously this could not be true?"

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I still wouldn't mind seeing Snow trying to move Nabokov and the rights to Gregoire and Joensuu for Hudler and Ericsson, since it seems like Detroit is looking to move Hudler and doesn't look to come to terms with Ericsson (although Swedish reports indicate that talks are going better than initial reports have stated). I think we'd be fairly set as Hudler has a certain level of creativity that I think would fit real well here while Ericsson is another big man who is a bit of an all-rounder. Neither is cheap but certainly both are affordable for the Isles and there's no guarantee that Snow can get players of their quality on the open market for the prices they come at.

The deal would seem to make sense for Detroit as well, especially if it could be determined in advance that Gregoire and the Wings would easily agree to terms.

No question

BennyBST

Apr 16, 2007
Fairfield CT
Too bad. There's an interesting collection of king cast-offs around the league.

I think Moller would stay in N. America if he had an opportunity to play in the NHL.

I know I may take some heat for this but I think the Islanders should target Andrew Gordon, who has been stuck in the caps system for the past 4 or 5 years. I'd offer him a 2 way deal. He could be another Moulson type who we could potentially strike gold with. Gordon has very good hockey sense but has been stuck behind some good top 6 wingers in washington.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I know I may take some heat for this but I think the Islanders should target Andrew Gordon, who has been stuck in the caps system for the past 4 or 5 years. I'd offer him a 2 way deal. He could be another Moulson type who we could potentially strike gold with. Gordon has very good hockey sense but has been stuck behind some good top 6 wingers in washington.

How's his forecheck?:cry:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
All of that's understood, but with less then 14MM in cap room and just 13 players under contract, not including Bieksa & Ehrhoff, one would think something is going to have to give. Is it not highly likely that those two could command more then $5MM/year? This is the same league that gave Paul Martin 5/25 just a year ago. Is it insane to think that to keep both of the aforementioned players Ballard could be moved to free up some $?

I don't think Bieksa will get $5M. Maybe on the open market he could get that much(that's debateable), but he's the prime example of player that will take a bit of a discount to stay in Vancouver. As I said earlier, there was lots of talk of him being dealt in the off-season and Gillis stuck with him. Bieksa has said many times he wants to stay in Vancouver and my guess is it gets done for just over $4M per.

As for Ehrhoff, he could definitely land a big contract if he hits the UFA market but I'd be shocked if Gillis doesn't offer him a competetive deal. He could offer him as much as $5.75M per, but I doubt he would, probably $5.25M at most. If Ehrhoff doesn't re-sign in Vancouver, then Gillis definitely keeps Ballard.

If Gillis can get them both Bieksa and Ehrhoff locked up for $10M or less, he probably does it. In that case Gillis could either decide to keep Ballard for the extra depth, or if he does want to upgrade the forward group he'd have to move Ballard. He certainly would not be forced to move Ballard though. It's more likely that Chris Higgins would be brought back and either Mason Raymond or Mikael Samuelsson would be dealt.

As for the trade possibilities sure plenty of teams will be lining up. Admittedly I have no idea what the market will be - but - I think a 25 year old replacement along with more then $3MM in cap savings is a very solid starting place. 2 seasons ago Hillen looked like an emerging top 4 mainstay. While he might have taken a step back this past season he still put up 22 points and posted a pretty respectable -5.

The reason I don't think they'd be interested in Hillen is because he doesn't fit a role with the team. Chris Tanev will make the Canucks' full time next year, either paired with Ballard or if Ballard is moved, they are likely to either bring Sami Salo back or a similar veteran. Aaron Rome is signed through next season as the #7 and the organization seems very high on him. I don't see room for a player such as Hillen that will get a decent raise and doesn't fill a need in Vancouver. Not to say he's a bad player, just not a good fit really.

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
I don't think Bieksa will get $5M. Maybe on the open market he could get that much(that's debateable), but he's the prime example of player that will take a bit of a discount to stay in Vancouver. As I said earlier, there was lots of talk of him being dealt in the off-season and Gillis stuck with him. Bieksa has said many times he wants to stay in Vancouver and my guess is it gets done for just over $4M per.

As for Ehrhoff, he could definitely land a big contract if he hits the UFA market but I'd be shocked if Gillis doesn't offer him a competetive deal. He could offer him as much as $5.75M per, but I doubt he would, probably $5.25M at most. If Ehrhoff doesn't re-sign in Vancouver, then Gillis definitely keeps Ballard.

If Gillis can get them both Bieksa and Ehrhoff locked up for $10M or less, he probably does it. In that case Gillis could either decide to keep Ballard for the extra depth, or if he does want to upgrade the forward group he'd have to move Ballard. He certainly would not be forced to move Ballard though. It's more likely that Chris Higgins would be brought back and either Mason Raymond or Mikael Samuelsson would be dealt.

The reason I don't think they'd be interested in Hillen is because he doesn't fit a role with the team. Chris Tanev will make the Canucks' full time next year, either paired with Ballard or if Ballard is moved, they are likely to either bring Sami Salo back or a similar veteran. Aaron Rome is signed through next season as the #7 and the organization seems very high on him. I don't see room for a player such as Hillen that will get a decent raise and doesn't fill a need in Vancouver. Not to say he's a bad player, just not a good fit really.

Completely understood about Hillen not necessarily fitting. I threw him out more as a value placeholder.

As far as the CE/KB salaries go, if I were a betting man I would be on the over (10MM) all day. I'd be shocked if either settles for under 5mil/year or less then 5 years - and if they do they will be among the most honorable 1% of all professional athletes.

Not saying they won't take less to stay in Vancouver, just saying there's no way either takes a cent less then what Paul Martin & Anton Volchenkov got last year because in all likelihood there will be multiple teams offering that and more.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
As far as the CE/KB salaries go, if I were a betting man I would be on the over (10MM) all day. I'd be shocked if either settles for under 5mil/year or less then 5 years - and if they do they will be among the most honorable 1% of all professional athletes.

Not saying they won't take less to stay in Vancouver, just saying there's no way either takes a cent less then what Paul Martin & Anton Volchenkov got last year because in all likelihood there will be multiple teams offering that and more.

Ehrhoff, maybe, Bieksa I don't see it. I for one don't expect Bieksa to even make it to July 1st. If Ehrhoff does, he's probably not coming back. To say that they could take discounts and those discounts would be to $5M, I don't see it. I don't think there will be teams offering Bieksa $5M+ if he made it to July 1st. Ehrhoff, for sure, but not Bieksa.

Last edited:

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
Ehrhoff, maybe, Bieksa I don't see it. I for one don't expect Bieksa to even make it to July 1st. If Ehrhoff does, he's probably not coming back. To say that they could take discounts and those discounts would be to $5M, I don't see it. I don't think there will be teams offering Bieksa $5M+ if he made it to July 1st. Ehrhoff, for sure, but not Bieksa.

It remains to be seen but typically guys who play deep into the playoffs/stanley cup get very popular in free agency. Add in the career year and gaudy playoff stats and you have a recipe for a guy getting overpaid.

Do you really see him settling for a similar salary to the guy on his own team who scored 9 points this year and has averaged less then 10mpg in the playoffs? Those are exactly the kinds of things agents start telling players when their contracts are up.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It remains to be seen but typically guys who play deep into the playoffs/stanley cup get very popular in free agency. Add in the career year and gaudy playoff stats and you have a recipe for a guy getting overpaid.

Do you really see him settling for a similar salary to the guy on his own team who scored 9 points this year and has averaged less then 10mpg in the playoffs? Those are exactly the kinds of things agents start telling players when their contracts are up.

Considering Bieksa wants to remain in Vancouver, I don't see him trying to leverage a ridiculous contract out of Gillis. Dan Hamhuis took less to remain in Vancouver, I don't see why it's hard to believe Bieksa would do the same. I think $4.25-4.5M is where Bieksa will end up in Vancouver.

As for Ballard, Gillis wasn't the one that gave him the contract, and prior to this season he was putting up similar numbers and ice-time as Bieksa anyway.

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
Considering Bieksa wants to remain in Vancouver, I don't see him trying to leverage a ridiculous contract out of Gillis. Dan Hamhuis took less to remain in Vancouver, I don't see why it's hard to believe Bieksa would do the same. I think $4.25-4.5M is where Bieksa will end up in Vancouver.

As for Ballard, Gillis wasn't the one that gave him the contract, and prior to this season he was putting up similar numbers and ice-time as Bieksa anyway.

Doesn't matter who gave what to whom. His agent's goal is going to be to get him the best offer at this moment in time. That's his job, then it's the players job to make a decision. As an agent you've failed if your player gets an equal contract to another player who's miles behind on the depth chart. That's not insignificant leverage and professional agents don't typically concede any leverage at all. Two defensemen coming off lesser years got more then $25MM last Summer.

NHL players get one shot at a UFA contract in their prime. With his injury history and all the aforementioned reasons he's going to get pushed hard to cash in on his serendipitous fortune of his value being at an all time high at the exact right moment. Even if he wants to go back to Vancouver it would be crazy to settle before hearing out other offers to bring back as leverage.

If KB signs before July 1 for under 5 mil per I will gladly eat crow, and even further praise him as one of the few athletes who recognizes that nothing good comes from greed. Until then I'll play the odds which indicate that 90 out of 100 pro athletes go to the highest bidder.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I think Moller would stay in N. America if he had an opportunity to play in the NHL.

It would be a good move. We need to up the offense in Bridgeport and if were trying to crack a line-up I'd take my chances here.

Reading further on Moller, he has until 6/27 to decide if he goes to Europe or not. Maybe a draft day trade?

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
I have had a small group of forwards and a small group of d-men in mind for a few months. Bieksa and Simon Gagne were pretty high in my mind in their respective groups and watching them in the playoffs has solidified that for me.

My big concern with both is injury history. That being said. If somehow we could add those 2 guys I think they could bring the skill, experience and veteran leadership that should help this team move to the next level. Each will need to be paid a little above market to come here but I think we are near that time (as long as it isnt ridiculous).

Also, keeping last summer in mind, Garth made pretty strong runs at Martin and Hamhuis. I cant imagine anything has changed in his mind to think that he wont try and make a competitive offer to a solid top 4 blueliner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad