Players the Isles Should Target

Discussion in 'New York Islanders' started by seafoam, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. seafoam

seafoam Vintage Barzal Sponsor

In your opinion who do you think the Isles should target this offseason as UFA's or through a trade? Explain why. Should Garth make one or two minor signings and wait for someone through waivers like Grabner etc? Or should he go after some top tier players like Parise or Erhhoff or w.e?

2. seafoam

Another comment, i'm sure whatever path Garth takes it will be the right one. I have trust in him and I feel Wang will start to spend with the new arena hopefully on the way!

3. Seph

Seph Registered User

Home Page:
    Not really going to get into who should be targeted -- don't feel it makes a lot of sense until it gets closer to July 1st and there's a good idea of who'll even be available -- but I definitely would not advocate planning for another waiver gift like Grabner. That's something that is exceedingly rare. By and large, players on waivers are there for a good reason and they aren't guys you make room for.

4. CodeE

CodeE step on snek

You know, this is the first offseason where I really don't care. A top-4 defenseman like Ehrhoff would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see the press conference. The past 5 summers Islander fans have targeted and hoped for the top free agents, saying how the Chris Drurys and Ilya Kovalchuks of the world will save the franchise, and we never get them. This franchise is getting better and it's getting better with draft picks, waiver pickups, and free agents nobody else wants. Unrestricted free agents is simply not the best path for the Islanders.

5. OrangeZebra

OrangeZebra Unregistered User

Medical Staff

I'm just praying Landeskog falls to us

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. Ho Sang Clan

Ho Sang Clan Abused Fan

This.

Ehroff would be nice too.

7. Boik14

Boik14 Registered User

Sales/aspiring writer
    Parise and a 2nd pairing Dman would be amazing but Im not holding my breath for either let alone both.

If Wang is going to continue to put the clamps down on the purse-strings then Garth needs to continue to do what hes done best which is find players in unconventional ways and via the draft/player development. I mean the job Garth has done is phenomenal and a lesser GM would have caved under the circumstances Garth has faced. Instead even if we do nothing in FA we are still on the way up.

8. seafoam

I agree. In a way, I see the Isles starting to look the Predators. Our styles of play aren't similar but they build their franchise through the draft and small pick ups. I see the Isles being like this through the rebuild and beyond. IMO, this is the way to go because your prospects get brought up learning your system and it looks good. I'm really excited for this upcoming season, and I get excited real early and we end up getting a high draft pick but I feel like this is the year we break into the 15-20 range for the '12 draft

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Go Banana!

I'd go after Scottie Upshall (2nd line W) and Vernon Fiddler (4th line C).

Upshall:
    22G, 12A in 82 games.

Fiddler:
    Had 6 goals and 16 assists in 71 games, was +3 and won 53% of his faceoffs.

10. Isles72

Isles72 Registered User

I doubt we'll be able to attract Ehrhoff without solid plans for the arena.

Upshall is a realistic target that I've brought up from time to time --his injury history scares me but I'd still risk it .

Snow has a thing for jovocop -dont be surprised to see them overpay to get him here.

11. hb6947

hb6947 Hooked Since '78

I'm going to say McCabe because I have it from a pretty reliable source that he is getting pressure to sign close to his LI homes. And the that Rangers aren't a good fit because they practice in Westchester.

12. IslesRock4

IslesRock4 Ever Forward

Isn't Jovo the one who elbowed Tavares two seasons ago? I guess Snow has a thing for defensemen who cheapshot our young stars (Mottau). :laugh:

13. Jason Arnott. He still has some left in the tank, and he is a big body presence with a lot of experience.

14. Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt Registered User

Translator
    Home Page:
    Yep, a lot of us have figured there's a real good chance he could wind up here again.

Might be a good fit, especially if his chief duty in an Islander uniform is to provide a solid PP presence and some experience.

I'd argue that a guy like Martinek is a better defenseman, and it doesn't look like Radek will be resigned, although I think many of us like him more than Jurcina, Eaton and Mottau.

It'll be interesting to see what happens up front. One more top 9 winger and then there's theoretically little room for Niederreiter, who arguably has nothing left to prove in the WHL.

15. BennyBST

BennyBST Registered User

electrician
    How about Jonathan Ericsson? 27, playoff experienced, big and fairly tough.. Seems like a good guy to get if we can't land Ehrhoff or Bieksa. He would also come cheaper then those two.

16. Kevin27nyi

Kevin27nyi Trotz <3

just give me bieksa.

moulson-tavares-parenteau
    grabner-nielsen-okposo
    comeau-bailey-niedereitter
    martin-konopka-hunter
    haley

streit-bieksa
    macdonald-hamonic
    eaton-jurcina
    hillen/martinek

montoya
    dipietro

trade mottau and nabokov

great defense, great offense bad goaltending. montoya should get more start but i think the isles will play dipietro more regardless of whos better.

17. Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt Registered User

Translator
    Home Page:
    I still wouldn't mind seeing Snow trying to move Nabokov and the rights to Gregoire and Joensuu for Hudler and Ericsson, since it seems like Detroit is looking to move Hudler and doesn't look to come to terms with Ericsson (although Swedish reports indicate that talks are going better than initial reports have stated). I think we'd be fairly set as Hudler has a certain level of creativity that I think would fit real well here while Ericsson is another big man who is a bit of an all-rounder. Neither is cheap but certainly both are affordable for the Isles and there's no guarantee that Snow can get players of their quality on the open market for the prices they come at.

The deal would seem to make sense for Detroit as well, especially if it could be determined in advance that Gregoire and the Wings would easily agree to terms.

18. crashthenet

crashthenet Registered User

I think Jussi Jokinen would be a good fit for Tavares. Ben Eager an upgrade for the 4th line, maybe Asham or Rupp.

19. seafoam

If we drafted Sean Couturier, Arnott would be a great mentor to him. They both play the same style of hockey from what I've heard.

20. Ho Sang Clan

Ho Sang Clan Abused Fan

With the way Bieksa has been playing these olayoffs, I can't see Vancouver letting him walk.

21. Kevin27nyi

Kevin27nyi Trotz <3

change bieksa to byfuglien and vancouver to chicago. sorry, i just remember hearing things like that last year but then the cap comes into play. vancouver also has to sign erhroff and already have edler, hamhuis and ballard. btw, i wouldnt mind trading for ballard.

22. BennyBST

BennyBST Registered User

electrician
    Ballard would be a guy I'd trade for.. However.. He's signed until 2014-2015 at 4.2 million per season. He's a nice top 4 defenseman, but is he worth 4.2 million?

I wonder what Vancouver would want in return?

23. crashthenet

crashthenet Registered User

Wonder what the kings would want for Moller?

24. Aldous Snow

Aldous Snow Registered User

Considering they are looking to shed salary something might make sense around Hillen + some draft picks/lesser prospects. Can't imagine there are too many teams looking to take on 3MM and give up good prospects when they can just go out and sign someone in FA.

I like Hillen a lot but it seems like other guys who fill a similar role have ascended past him. Not to mention higher ceiling guys like De Haan and Donovan waiting in the wings.

Signing Bieksa would obviously be the top choice since it only costs $ and he is killing it this post season, although one wonders if that's not just a coincidence. His injury history also gives some pause as well.

25. SLAPSHOT723

SLAPSHOT723 QU! Bobcats!

Home Page:
    The top two lines cannot be changed unless we remove Parenteau and add RW that is capable of playing with Tavares. Reality is, Parenteau will be here next year and clearly has the potential to put up the points. Is he great? No, he's pretty much "not good". But he puts up the points and is good with JT. He's here to stay next year, then it's "so long PA!" in 12-13.

Scottie Upshall is more suited for the 3rd line, where I think he would be a good fit. He's very similar to Comeau. I can't see a scenario where Nino doesn't make the team, although I'd like to see that happen to "overdevelop" him like the Blues did with Pietrangelo. You can't make a wrong decision with this.

As for a defenseman, I'd love to get one of Bieksa, White, or Babchuk. I'd also like to sign Mathieu Garon.

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
    Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
    Comeau-Bailey-Upshall/Niederreiter
    Martin-Konopka-Hunter/Haley

Streit-Bieksa/White/Babchuk
    MacDonald-Hamonic
    Eaton-Jurcina
    Mottau/Wishart

Montoya
    DiPietro/Garon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.