Players that you thought would make it but never did for some reason.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Rico Fata, Kris Beech, Eric Chouinard!!!!

Today 12:29 AM
mckly angelo esposito, ty wishart, jakub voracek, luc bourdon RIP

Eh...Luc Bourdon, it's weird to see his name in that post...

And Ty Wishart seem's to pan out this year...

Voracek...eh...even if he dont dominate, is not a bust...

Stop with those guys who are 21-22-23 years old...

Patrick Stefan is a good choice for that topic...

Latex*

Tony Salmelainen

The Guy has to be one of the fastest skaters i have ever seen. I'm still wondering why didn't he make it.. maybe he just (seriously) lacked hockey sense.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Jay Legault, Daniel Tkaczuk, Sheldon Keefe, Matt Foy, Ryan O'Marra, Mike Blunden.

I remember in 1997 reading the hockey news and it flat out said about Tkaczuk, dont quote me but something to the effect if you wanted a guy to get the flag on capture the flag Tkaczuk is your man! I was sold right then, his last name was cool too.

im sorry I was one of those pencil neck geeks that would study draft positions and prospects while my roomates and I had a keg party, live band, and mind altering substances the night before. Well im 40 now and still going over draft positions!

married with a great kid so I guess my style works ehh? or maybe im lucky! anyway back in 1997 the NYI had 2 picks i believe in the top 10 and chose Brewer and Luongo. I wanted Tkaczuk and Samsonov. I guess I was wrong

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Pavel Rosa. The guy put up points no matter where he played yet he barely had a sniff at the NHL level.

Another who totally blew me away at the World Juniors but never amounted to shyte in the NHL was Miika Elomo.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
James Sheppard.

Minnesota fans could probably tell you why he didn't blossom more than I can. Maybe he was rushed into the system, maybe his game didn't work well with Lemaire's when he was a head coach. I dont know the reason, but I expected a lot from him.

Shep is pretty much a running joke by now from Wild fans. There's a myriad of different reasons as to why he didn't/hasn't worked out. The main one being that he just wasn't developed properly. He "made" the team right after being drafted so he skipped out on more QMJL play to further develop his game. However, he spent much of the season making popcorn or buried on the fourth line with limited minutes. After two seasons of failed development playing where he shouldn't be playing, he no longer was able to be sent down without clearing waivers. So he's pretty much been in that purgatory ever since.

But quite frankly, he just isn't that great of a player and has shown us fans nothing that suggests he's capable of turning a corner. He missed all of the '10-11 season due to an ATV accident. We'll see what the Wild decide to do with him this offseason. They can offer him a two-way now, but they may just decide to part ways.

Colton Gilles to? But obviously not for the size.

As for Gillies, the former GM went with the same mistake as Shep. Putting a player that clearly isn't ready immediately into the NHL. Even when Gillies was drafted though, many seen him as a limited player with a low ceiling and a high floor. He wasn't going to be an impact player, but he should find his way into the NHL at some point.

Now, Gillies was still eligible for AHL by the time the Wild changed regimes. He's spent two years exclusively in Houston and he's finally starting to make some head way. Especially for the Aeros in the playoffs. He's a great skater and checker but that's about all he'll ever be due to a limited hockey IQ and pure skill. He'll make his way to Minnesota (likely next season) but this is a guy who probably won't ever be more than a good third line banger.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
A few players over the years I thought had the potential to be much more than they were (in the NHL):

Marian Cisar
Daniel Tkaczuk
JF Fortin
Branislav Mezei
Ivan Novoseltsev
Radovan Somik
Lee Goren
Jeff Heerema
Alexandre Picard (the forward)
Lonny Bohonos
Per Gustafsson
Peter Smrek
Daniel Corso
Alexei Morozov
Nick Stajduhar
Nikos Tselios
Jason Bonsignore
Pavel Brendl
Jamie Lundmark
Barrett Heisten
Hugh Jessiman
Rob Schremp
Alex Bourret
Lance Ward
Kristian Kudroc
Jason Dawe
Sandy Moger

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Milan Kraft - should have been what Evgeni Malkin is now

Taylor Pyatt - good skater, good size, thought he would have been a top 6

Sergei Samsonov - has had a decent NHL career but I thought he could have been a star in the league

Pat Falloon - outstanding junior career, should have been a good goalscorer for the Sharks

Nikita Alexeev - another skilled Russian but with size and a good shot, never did anything

some others

Brian Finley
Branislav Mezei
Robert Dome
Alexandre Volchkov

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
+1, I also thought Aliu would have at least had a taste in the NHL by now. Also from the 2007 draft I really though Turris would be better by now, he was so sick in the Super Series and the WJCs but he's basically invisible in the NHL, and not just because he plays for the Yotes. I'd put Gilbert Brule in a similar vein, he was a force of nature on the Giants, but he too has been pretty invisible in the NHL.

Seems you didn't watch the playoffs because he was Phoenix's best forward outside of Doan.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
as a leafs fan i was always very excited about both jiri tlusty and chris didomenico

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Tony Salmelainen
The Guy has to be one of the fastest skaters i have ever seen. I'm still wondering why didn't he make it.. maybe he just (seriously) lacked hockey sense.

He's kinda smallish too (5'9" / 180ish), same problem as Brett Sterling? Size and lack of a defensive element to the game has killed the NHL dream of so many diminutive offensive-minded hockey players.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
first name that came up in my mind was Maxime Oullet, I thought he was going to be franchise type goalie for philly. Not even sure why/how he turned out to be such a bust he is now.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Jeff Jillson and Matt Lashof. Two guys that had all the tools and no tool box. Jillson was incredible at Michigan.

Lashoff actually had a pretty good showing with the Leafs towards the end of the season. Who knows if he will be able to build on it, or if he will even get the chance to, but I was pleased watching him at the NHL level for a brief stint.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Lashoff actually had a pretty good showing with the Leafs towards the end of the season. Who knows if he will be able to build on it, or if he will even get the chance to, but I was pleased watching him at the NHL level for a brief stint.

Yeah, Lashoff looked pretty confident as a third string D.

Of course, that would never live up to the hype he had as a first round pick, but he could have an NHL career yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad