Players That Won't Dance

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Princess Phaneuf

For a fan of a different team, I love that 50% of your posts are about the Leafs. We're trolling you without even trying. :handclap:

And Kaleta is a perfect example of someone who won't dance. He does have a few fights and he actually isn't a bad fighter, but for how often he tries to end careers and gets called out for it, he turtles or runs away a lot.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
subban. it drives me crazy seeing how much he chirps and provokes players after the whistle and then hides behind the ref ora teamate when **** is about to get real

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Princess Phaneuf

Against the Isles he has denied Haley, Martin, Okposo and Carkner definitely off the top of my head. I think I can find video of all, except the Okposo one, it was a few years ago and in a scrum in front of the net, Okposo followed him for a bit and was jawing at him ready.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Against the Isles he has denied Haley, Martin, Okposo and Carkner definitely off the top of my head. I think I can find video of all, except the Okposo one, it was a few years ago and in a scrum in front of the net, Okposo followed him for a bit and was jawing at him ready.

A #1 d-man declined fights with a bunch of garbage players? what a shock!!!!!!

Okposo isn't garbage I guess but he has 2 career fights at all levels and Phaneuf has 82... Phaneuf would obviously beat him rather easily if he wanted to fight him.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Phaneuf doesn't go very often because of his importance to his team.

Hockey > Fighting

And I don't even like him or the Leafs, just stating the obvious.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

The fact that Ference literally drags Subban across the ice, makes this incredible. Also the term "turtle" is displayed perfectly because Subban's head is literally inside his shoulder pads lol

Ference, the enforcer against all skilled players apparently. Real tough guy there.

Funny how when a Bruin runs scared a la Lucic v. Laraque it's somehow justifiable, but when a skilled player like Landeskog chooses not to accept a pointless and ill-advised fight against a much better fighter, he's a sissy?

I see. Just wanted to get Boston logic down.:sarcasm:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Phaneuf is the Leafs number one defensemen, how many people would be fine with their top d-man gone for 5 minutes+? call him out, then look at how many fights he's actually been in. I bet it's more than your best d-mans. There's more than enough guys on the Leafs who will drop em'.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
A #1 d-man declined fights with a bunch of garbage players? what a shock!!!!!!

Okposo isn't garbage I guess but he has 2 career fights at all levels and Phaneuf has 82... Phaneuf would obviously beat him rather easily if he wanted to fight him.

I agree, he shouldn't have to go on that principle but sometimes it has to be done. Same thing with Hamonic on the Isles, I don't want him fighting but when you play a tough game things happen.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Phaneuf is the Leafs number one defensemen, how many people would be fine with their top d-man gone for 5 minutes+? call him out, then look at how many fights he's actually been in. I bet it's more than your best d-mans. There's more than enough guys on the Leafs who will drop em'.

I'm a Hab fan and I agree. Your top minute/skill guys shouldn't have to fight much. And certainly not in that situation.

But at least Prust let him decline. Unlike Ference on Stempniak. That was embarrassing.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I agree, he shouldn't have to go on that principle but sometimes it has to be done. Same thing with Hamonic on the Isles, I don't want him fighting but when you play a tough game things happen.

No it doesn't.

They are playing hockey.

You know, scoring goals / preventing goals, etc?

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Ference, the enforcer against all skilled players apparently. Real tough guy there.

Funny how when a Bruin runs scared a la Lucic v. Laraque it's somehow justifiable, but when a skilled player like Landeskog chooses not to accept a pointless and ill-advised fight against a much better fighter, he's a sissy?

I see. Just wanted to get Boston logic down.:sarcasm:

Huh? The point of the Subban video is that he isn't up against a big tough guy. Subban turtled against Andrew Ference. Who's giving up over 15 lbs and at least an inch in height. Whose nickname is Captain Planet. Andrew. Fricking. Ference. Turtling at that point is just self-parody.

Lucic was told not to fight Laraque explicitly by his coach, because Lucic has a history of answering those calls at extremely stupid times. He didn't run his mouth. He didn't hack and shove Laraque after the whistles, then run away to the refs. He just didn't go. That's how it's done. See also: John Scott's recent game.

Someone called Landeskog a sissy for not fighting Lucic? That's absurd. Bruins fans were pissed because the refs allowed Landeskog to run his mouth and get some shoves in, but tossed Lucic for responding in kind. If they dealt out matching minors, or gave an extra 2 to Looch, nobody would care.

Generally, though, here's the logic: Don't get up in a guy's face, or lay down a questionable hit, and then go running to the refs every time. If you don't want to fight, keep your stick to yourself, your elbows down, and your mouth shut. That goes for Marchand as much as for Subban. Do that and you get the benefit of the doubt when you pick your spots.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Huh? The point of the Subban video is that he isn't up against a big tough guy. Subban turtled against Andrew Ference. Who's giving up over 15 lbs and at least an inch in height. Whose nickname is Captain Planet. Andrew. Fricking. Ference. Turtling at that point is just self-parody.

Lucic was told not to fight Laraque explicitly by his coach, because Lucic has a history of answering those calls at extremely stupid times. He didn't run his mouth. He didn't hack and shove Laraque after the whistles, then run away to the refs. He just didn't go. That's how it's done. See also: John Scott's recent game.

Someone called Landeskog a sissy for not fighting Lucic? That's absurd. Bruins fans were pissed because the refs allowed Landeskog to run his mouth and get some shoves in, but tossed Lucic for responding in kind. If they dealt out matching minors, or gave an extra 2 to Looch, nobody would care.

Generally, though, here's the logic: Don't get up in a guy's face, or lay down a questionable hit, and then go running to the refs every time. If you don't want to fight, keep your stick to yourself, your elbows down, and your mouth shut. That goes for Marchand as much as for Subban. Do that and you get the benefit of the doubt when you pick your spots.

Why would Subban fight Ference? The Habs' best player for a plug defenceman.

And how come Bruins fans think every opponent runs his mouth but ignores the yap machines all over their own lineup? Chirping is done by 90% of the players and only about 5% of them fight. Stop thinking Boston owns the rights to some code.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Why would Subban fight Ference? The Habs' best player for a plug defenceman.

And how come Bruins fans think every opponent runs his mouth but ignores the yap machines all over their own lineup? Chirping is done by 90% of the players and only about 5% of them fight. Stop thinking Boston owns the rights to some code.

Because he had just elbowed the Bruins star player in the head? Because some people have too much pride to be dragged by the shirt all over the ice?

Also, did you miss the part where I specifically mentioned Brad Marchand? Because he has a condition where he occasionally loses all control over the elevation of either his jaw or his elbow.

But yeah, I'm ignoring the Bruins' lineup.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Because he had just elbowed the Bruins star player in the head? Because some people have too much pride to be dragged by the shirt all over the ice?

Also, did you miss the part where I specifically mentioned Brad Marchand? Because he has a condition where he occasionally loses all control over the elevation of either his jaw or his elbow.

But yeah, I'm ignoring the Bruins' lineup.

But you seem to ignore the yapping done by nearly all other Bruins. Have you watched Chara and Thornton and McQuaid after whistles?

I'm not saying the Bruins are any different from any other team, but to single out certain players or teams is stupidity. And you can drag a guy all over the ice all you want, but no, a star skill player should not fight a plug. There is NOTHING to be gained from that. Nothing.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Phaneuf doesn't fight scrubs. Neither should any other #1Dman. Even if you win the fight, your off the ice for 5 mins, in which the opponent can capitalize.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Phaneuf doesn't fight scrubs. Neither should any other #1Dman. Even if you win the fight, your off the ice for 5 mins, in which the opponent can capitalize.
Okposo would have been ok, he isn't a scrub. It's 5 minutes not the whole game. Since I used Hamonic as an example, I'll use one of his fights, vs Evander Kane. It was crappy but it was two guys battling, emotions and fumes ran high and then fought. That's what I am talking about. Hell, I just took one look at PHanuef's card, dude has a crap ton of fights, better than saying that's what I'm talking about, Phanuef knows what I'm talking about. His fight last year vs Ladd is an example.

I already said I understood why he didn't go with Haley or Martin or Carkner.
No it doesn't.

They are playing hockey.

You know, scoring goals / preventing goals, etc?

You really don't think there ever has to be a response? So what's Phanuef doing here?

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116725

That is also part of hockey.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
He only accepts fights with guys half his size. Fake tough guy. When Mclaren who BTW is the same size challenges him, he pisses himself.

yep

loved hearing butchie try to explain why martin didnt have to fight. obviously mclaren is out of his class.

but when martin did it to talbot a couple years ago it was a different story

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
But you seem to ignore the yapping done by nearly all other Bruins. Have you watched Chara and Thornton and McQuaid after whistles?

Um...those guys drop the gloves occasionally. David Krejci, on the other hand, doesn't, so he tends to keep his mouth shut and skate away after the whistle. As does Patrice Bergeron. This is how it should be. If Brad Marchand wants to be a rat and get in people's faces, he occasionally has to reckon with the result. So do guys who like to mix it up physically (like Lucic, Iginla, Thornton, Chara, and McQuaid on the B's).

I'm not saying the Bruins are any different from any other team, but to single out certain players or teams is stupidity. And you can drag a guy all over the ice all you want, but no, a star skill player should not fight a plug. There is NOTHING to be gained from that. Nothing.

You know this is a thread about players who refuse to drop the gloves, right? Singling people out is kind of a requirement. Also, every single point I made was in response to you calling out the Bruins.

This is something that is never going to end well in a conversation with more than one fanbase. The reality is that everyone picks their spots or they wind up out of the NHL. That's going to lead to very different views of declined fights by at least two sets of fans. Lucic is going to drop the gloves for a staged fight with Laraque when Shawn Thornton's in the lineup? Haha, ok. Call me when Lucic runs a goalie and it's #17 who turtles.

This thread exists because there are guys that play dirty, but don't drop the gloves anywhere near what they should. There are also "tough guys" who love staged fights when they have the height and weight advantage, but turtle when an actual tough guy comes around.

In Boston, there's a generally held view that there are two situations where not fighting is disgraceful: when you lay out a bad hit, and when your teammate is laid out by one. You asked what the logic was, and that's it.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
You really don't think there ever has to be a response? So what's Phanuef doing here?

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116725

That is also part of hockey.

No, he does not have to respond. Are you kidding me? So you are saying that fighting is indicative to the game of professional hockey?

I'm sorry. I love fighting in hockey. I do not want to see it banned, ever. However, to suggest that players MUST fight in response to physical battles within the game itself is absolutely ludicrous.

What is Phaneuf doing? He's busy being the number one defensemen on a team not currently known for it's defensive strengths. Removing that person from the ice for at least 5 minutes is simply irresponsible. Sure, it might be entertaining, but the point of playing the game is to win.

You know, priorities and things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad