Players that should have Won the Conn Smythe?

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Brind'Amour would have been my pick.

He was the two-way horse that year. Scored the key goals, took all the key faceoffs, defended against the top line, was the unquestioned leader. Etc.

That Hurricanes team was very resilient. It seemed they always were able to bounce back from adversity and win the key games. They won 2 Game 7s.

I think Brind'Amour's leadership guided the way for them.
Stillman & staal were really good that postseason as well staal had 9 goals 19 assists 28 points. Stillman had 9 goals 18 assists 27 points.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Fedorov was just as important in shutting down the LoD as Lidstrom. He lead the team in points, scored the series-winning goal against the Avs, and was all-around amazing.
Don't forget the most overlooked legit Hall of Famer of the modern era, Larry Murphy.

There's no record of Conn Smythe voting from back then, is there? It would be interesting to see how close Yzerman was to winning the Smythe in 2002. I thought he was going to win it (not to say Lidstrom wasn't a great choice).

Reactions: Sentinel

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Brodeur should've won in 03. His team won the cup. He outplayed Giguere in the NJ home games. Few shutouts too.

Never forget the Devils fans jeering the decision. And ABC ripping them for it.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Brodeur should've won in 03. His team won the cup. He outplayed Giguere in the NJ home games. Few shutouts too.

Gigeure was something though he literally was like to his teammates, here I am, I’m gonna put you up on my back and we’re gonna do this thing, as a red wings fan I feel your pain of brodeur or even niedermayer not winning the conn smythe, but giggy upset every team he had 3 shutouts in the Minnesota series. Fedorov didn’t win a conn smythe either so I feel ya. He should’ve won in 02. Yzerman only won in 98 due to the tragedy we suffered the summer earlier with vladdy being permanently disabled. He would’ve won two Norris trophies had that not’ve happened and I think we would’ve been the 99 cup champs had that not’ve happened with lidstrom winning the conn smythe.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Gigeure was something though he literally was like to his teammates, here I am, I’m gonna put you up on my back and we’re gonna do this thing, as a red wings fan I feel your pain of brodeur or even niedermayer not winning the conn smythe, but giggy upset every team he had 3 shutouts in the Minnesota series. Fedorov didn’t win a conn smythe either so I feel ya. He should’ve won in 02. Yzerman only won in 98 due to the tragedy we suffered the summer earlier with vladdy being permanently disabled. He would’ve won two Norris trophies had that not’ve happened and I think we would’ve been the 99 cup champs had that not’ve happened with lidstrom winning the conn smythe.

I just don't think a player is most valuable if his team lost. And I don't think his finals performance against Brodeur was enough to compensate for the first three rounds. It's always been my stance.

Who do you think should've gotten it over Yzerman in 98?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think if Toews come out of their pseudo dynasty without a Smythe we look back at it feeling like something is off.

I say that fully believing Toews is also the most overrated/over appreciated player of my lifetime. By hockey’s media atleast.

But then again simply Smythe counting doesn’t tell the story of just how amazing a playoff performer Keith was.
Want to come back to this -

Potvin doesn't have a Smythe. Probably should have two. It happens.

Revolutionary

Oct 12, 2020
Coffey in 1985 should have won it. 37 points, the most ever by a defenseman! If Gretzky wasn't on that team, he'd have definitely won! Then again maybe he wouldn't have gotten 37 points either lol, but still. I think Coffey deserved that one!

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I just don't think a player is most valuable if his team lost. And I don't think his finals performance against Brodeur was enough to compensate for the first three rounds. It's always been my stance.

Who do you think should've gotten it over Yzerman in 98?
Lidstrom or fedorov, I’ll throw holmstrom in there as well he had a good playoff run.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Pronger with the Oilers in '06, and the Ducks in '07...
You could argue for that ducks team in 07 besides pronger cuz he only had 1 assist, the guys I look at are teemu cuz he had 4 assists in the finals idk if he had a goal or not but he was the best player in the Detroit series I think both his game winners came in that series well one which was an OT goal in game 5, Travis moen did a good job shutting down opponents he was also clutch in the finals scoring 2 goals & idk how many assists and had a total of 12 points in the playoffs, pahlsson was clutch 3 goals 9 apples 12 points, than you had Rob niedermayer who was more clutch than his brother imo had 5 goals 5 apples, as well as Getzlaf who had 7 goals 3 of which came in the finals 10 asssists 17 points, & Andy McDonald who had 10 goals 2 coming in the finals, as well as 4 assists, those guys could be argued.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Denis Potvin in one of the Islander Cup years. Probably 1981, where he had 25 points in 18 GP and a +18, and they gave it to Butch Goring.

Edit: Missed @The Macho King post a few above.

My Best-Carey

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Denis Potvin in one of the Islander Cup years. Probably 1981, where he had 25 points in 18 GP and a +18, and they gave it to Butch Goring.

Edit: Missed @The Macho King post a few above.

My Best-Carey
You could argue potvin for the 83 smythe over Billy smith, even Bobby Bourne and Mike bossy you could argue for that award.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Samuel Pahlsson should have won it. Him and Pronger were clearly the most dominant. Real shame they didn't get the credit I think they deserved.

I'd have been fine with either. There is always going to be the case made that the best ability is availability and Pronger spent time in trouble and either in the box or suspended at times during that run. At the same time, as you said, the sheer dominance of his presence needs to be considered. I can't recall a player tilting the ice to that extent during a playoff run post-Lockout other than maybe Malkin in 09.

There have been more comprehensive and all-around better performances since, but from 05-07 Pronger changed the way the entire game was played on both ends of the ice.

Pahlsson was easy to forget about because the stuff he contributed flew under the radar. I think the entire checking line with Anaheim was incredible, but Pahlsson was taking on some offensive juggernauts during that run. I'd have been fine with him winning it, too.

Anyone but Niedermayer, honestly. The guy underwhelmed me and while he was admittedly a fantastic skater even then, at an older age, he wasn't even the best blueliner on that squad.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I'd have been fine with either. There is always going to be the case made that the best ability is availability and Pronger spent time in trouble and either in the box or suspended at times during that run. At the same time, as you said, the sheer dominance of his presence needs to be considered. I can't recall a player tilting the ice to that extent during a playoff run post-Lockout other than maybe Malkin in 09.

There have been more comprehensive and all-around better performances since, but from 05-07 Pronger changed the way the entire game was played on both ends of the ice.

Pahlsson was easy to forget about because the stuff he contributed flew under the radar. I think the entire checking line with Anaheim was incredible, but Pahlsson was taking on some offensive juggernauts during that run. I'd have been fine with him winning it, too.

Anyone but Niedermayer, honestly. The guy underwhelmed me and while he was admittedly a fantastic skater even then, at an older age, he wasn't even the best blueliner on that squad.
I agree with that it was pronger & beauchamin

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Is there a thread for discussions of who deserved to deemed the best playoff performer in the seasons before the Conn Smythe Trophy was first introduced?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Most Devils fans I knew thought Niedermayer should have won, as he was clearly the biggest difference-maker in the final 2 rounds.

Brodeur had all those shutouts, but those first 2 rounds were such cakewalks

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is there a thread for discussions of who deserved to deemed the best playoff performer in the seasons before the Conn Smythe Trophy was first introduced?

10+ years ago, the HHOF collaberated with the Society for International Hockey Research to release a semi-official "Reteoactive Conn Smythe" list. But unfortunately, every link to it that I can find is now broken, except for a Sporcle Quiz

UncleOscar

Feb 12, 2010
Austin, TX
I know this would never happen because he only played three rounds, but I thought Karlsson deserved it in 2017. No one was anywhere close to as valuable to his team as Karlsson was to the Sens that year. They were a bounce away from making it to the Final and I don't see anyone on the Preds outside Rinne winning it over him regardless of who won the Cup. I also just want the hilarious visual of a guy in a suit accepting the Conn Smythe as the two teams in the Final stand there and watch.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think that if the voters had a time machine and knew that Crosby would be the best choice in 2017, that they would have then given Kessel the CS for 2016.

Less scifi answer - if 2017 cup run happened before 2016 cup run (ie, inverse them) - Crosby definitely wins the first one, but good chance he doesn't the 2nd (and - that could be Kessel, but could also be Letang or Murray - all 4 were close).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad