Players that have been hurt by...

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Staying at one level for too long. Say a player that could have played in the NHL one season, but was sent back to juniors and regressed.

Any names come to mind?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Good topic. I've had this conversation with a few leaf fans when discussing Morgan Riellys 2013-14 season. We could never think of anyone off the top of our heads but we can all think of hundreds of kids who were rushed.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The problem with this topic is how can you definitively say that being held back or being rushed is the reason why a player didn't reach his potential?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
The problem with this topic is how can you definitively say that being held back or being rushed is the reason why a player didn't reach his potential?

I guess it should be specifically for players who were highly touted teenagers on the bubble of making an NHL team or got a 9 game try out then sent back to junior and never panned out long term despite going back and dominating junior.

Still no way to prove it one way or another though...

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
I would say Granlund stayed one year too long in FEL. His development did not improve much after the spring of 2011 imo. He was like a deer in headlights coming to north america, I'm really happy he has improved his skating and physicality in the summer, and he's also lost some visible babyfat from his cheeks.

0+1 tonight after 1 period :handclap:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think even going to the AHL for too long or just not being given a shot in the NHL hurts.

So many guys, even first rounders, never were given a shot or didn't play in the NHL like: Zagrapan and Bourret. Of the more recent picks Glennie and Hamill, while both still young I think should be given a shot in the NHL. Even if a guy does't do as well as expected, especially high picks I think should be evaluated at the top level.

For Buffalo a guy I wish would get a better shot is Luke Adam, a guy that has some NHL games, but has never had the opportunity to settle into his game. For anybody, a 4 game call-up or 9-game tryout isn't enough to evaluate a guy.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
I guess it should be specifically for players who were highly touted teenagers on the bubble of making an NHL team or got a 9 game try out then sent back to junior and never panned out long term despite going back and dominating junior.

Still no way to prove it one way or another though...

Alex Pietrangelo had two 9-game stints in St.Louis and I thought he was going to make the team both times. Not that it hurt his development at all, but he could've had more of an impact in the NHL much sooner.

Mika Zibanejad kinda the same thing this year. Played very well last season in the NHL last year but was sent down to Binghamton to start this year. First game called up and he already makes our team better and produces offensively.

While these aren't examples of worsening a players development, I think they would've been both better off in the NHL.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
I think Ari Ahonen suffered greatly from being stuck in the AHL for 5 season. Although his numbers were not great I believe he could have been NHL goalie (still can I guess) if some other team drafted him. after few years after returning from NA he struggled a bit, but since that he has been one of the best goalies in Europe.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
In Red Wing age, they are only 16, 14 and 12... :sarcasm:

At times, it feels like Detroit considers their newly drafted guys twelve year olds, the way they talk about them becoming players for them in 5 or 6 years.

I think Nyquist could've stayed one year less in college, one year less in the A, and been an NHL regular in 11/12. Honestly if Detroit put any merit into the training camp when it comes to winning a spot on the team -- he would've won it that year. He's been playing all but one of our playoff games the last two seasons and he's still not a regular on the team. It's so stupid. But he hasn't regressed, he continues to tear it up with the Griffins at least. He's earning his call-ups tenfold.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I think Nyquist could've stayed one year less in college, one year less in the A, and been an NHL regular in 11/12. Honestly if Detroit put any merit into the training camp when it comes to winning a spot on the team -- he would've won it that year. He's been playing all but one of our playoff games the last two seasons and he's still not a regular on the team. It's so stupid. But he hasn't regressed, he continues to tear it up with the Griffins at least. He's earning his call-ups tenfold.

Gotta agree with you, it's just mind-blowing that Nyquist still isn't in the team. You'd think they would've gotten rid of some of the old farts like Samuelsson or Bertuzzi...

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I would say Granlund stayed one year too long in FEL. His development did not improve much after the spring of 2011 imo. He was like a deer in headlights coming to north america, I'm really happy he has improved his skating and physicality in the summer, and he's also lost some visible babyfat from his cheeks.

0+1 tonight after 1 period :handclap:

Yeah It fels like his career went backwards. He didn't become any better.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
Joe Morrow was really close to make the Pens in 2011. A lot of people thought he should have got at least 9 games. Since then he was traded twice and right now is far away from the NHL.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
At times, it feels like Detroit considers their newly drafted guys twelve year olds, the way they talk about them becoming players for them in 5 or 6 years.

Given the success Detroit has had over the past couple of decades it's hard to be critical of the way they do things. In recent years though you got to wonder if they would have been better off if they had given some of their young skilled guys a shot intead signing or retaining, at a higher cost, some of the veterans currently on the roster.

If you are Tatar or Nyquist you have to be a bit frustrated and/or discouraged at this point. Nyquist at 24 isn't exactly a young kid anymore and Tatar, although only 22, is now in his 5th year with the organization. Both players at this point are elite AHL'ers and when they do get games at the NHL level look like they belong but unfortunately for them the Wings seem to favour veterans. Perhaps I am forgetting someone but the only 2 'skill' forwards I can think of who have broken through with Detroit in the last decade is Hudler & Filppula and they let both those guys walk.

Like I said though... Detroit has won more than any other team over the past 20 years and I feel silly questioning the way they go about their business.

arsmaster*

Alex Pietrangelo had two 9-game stints in St.Louis and I thought he was going to make the team both times. Not that it hurt his development at all, but he could've had more of an impact in the NHL much sooner.

You could argue getting the 9-game stints benefitted Pietrangelo though. Not a very good example IMO.

Was pretty clear early he had to work on his defensive game, and now he's a top 10 defender in the league.

To me, he's a pretty good example of a player not hurt by playing his full junior career.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
You could argue getting the 9-game stints benefitted Pietrangelo though. Not a very good example IMO.

Was pretty clear early he had to work on his defensive game, and now he's a top 10 defender in the league.

To me, he's a pretty good example of a player not hurt by playing his full junior career.

Agreed. You could probably argue that going down a couple of times helped AP, and getting thrown right it to the NHL at 18 didn't do Bogosian any favors.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Though he wasn't a CHLer, Stan Chistov spent 1 year too many in Russia (though not because Anaheim didn't want him in the NHL at 18).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad