players stuck in the AHL .NHLPA needs to adress this

ZadorovNJD*

Whether this has a place in this forum or not is questionable to begin with - but I'm allowing it because it potentially raises CBA-related issues ... though whether or not assigning a player on a 1-way contract to the minors is a "hidden problem with the cap" is open to debate.

I'm thinking since the NHLPA signed off on this, they couldn't have seen the possibility of it happening as that big of a deal to begin with. (Of course, the league's GM's are finding out the CBA isn't all roses for them either - but that's all discussion for another thread.) I think there were at least 7 players who had 1-way contracts and were sent to the minors last season (McGillis, Mogilny, Malakhov, Lalime, Wright, McEachern, and Green, plus Cassels and Andreychuk were waived but not assigned). Out of 600+ players.

I'm not seeing a huge problem spiraling out of control, much less symptoms that it could be imminent.

Malakhov wasn't waived, he just left/retired. Oliwa was waived but wasn't required to report to the AHL.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Malakhov wasn't waived, he just left/retired. Oliwa was waived but wasn't required to report to the AHL.
Thanks for mentioning Oliwa - that also brings up Darren Langdon and Andrei Nazarov, both of who were assigned as well.

So that's 7 players out of 600+ who had 1-way contracts and were put in the minors, and another 3 who were waived and could have been assigned but weren't ... and I'm sure there's a few more out there that aren't coming to mind.

HughJass*

To: gerrythegreat

Who cares? No one put a gun to these guy's heads to agree to the CBA, sign a contract with the Devils, and be the "odd man out" by playing poorly. Lou could have been more responsible....then again, he was. He had a responsibility to his fans to make sure he dressed the best team possible. If Alexander the Great wasn't so great, why should anyone care? He's getting paid. If Dan McGillis was exposed, why should anyone care? He's getting paid. Oh, the humanity! Where is Latrell Sprewell when you need him?

It's not your problem. I can think of many other injustices in the world that are your and our problem. They are getting P-A-I-D, that's all that matters.

I know, I know. They make a lot of money, they should be spending a lot of money. In the NHL. With their eroding skills. Oops, my bad.

gerrythegreat

Jul 26, 2005
If you dont care Storminator why are you responding to this thread, I am well aware that there are for greater injustices in the world but this isnt a greenpeace forum.

I was only using Mcgillis as an example, and I'm glad others have posted that he is not the only one.

I am aware that the players have to live with the cba, I am just mentioning that there are downsides to this new agreement. I might be pro player on this but the new cap (44 million) proves that the owners are more then ok.

CarolinaCapsFan

May 26, 2005
NC
Just pointing out, Cassels was waived by the Caps because he wanted off the team. If I remember correctly, he had family issues with an exwife (or something of that nature) and needed to move back to Ohio.

His poor play and/or salary was not the reason he was waived.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->