Players still up with their big clubs that you did not think would right now...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
still a week to go, but what surprises do we have right now??

a lot of high profile young players were sent down already, so who is unheralded but still up with their big clubs???

the Hawks still have Boqvist up which nobody expected, has an outside shot of sticking for at least 9 games, but Luke Johnson is still up as well and could earn a bottom 6 role with the team which would have surprised everyone just a month ago...

who else???

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
- Montreal -

Kenny Agostino !

Jesperi Kotkaniemi !! MUCH better than I expected !!

Xavier Ouellet has been good so far. He looks comfortable as a Hab. Fitting the mold, doing his job.

Simon Després still there, but despite me wanting bad for things to work for him, we'll see how long they keep him in Montreal unless he get released... or signs with the Laval Rocket as said in June. Simon Desprès veut une chance - La Presse+

Michael Chaput!

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Ty Smith - not that he is still here, but how many minutes he has gotten along with being asked to QB the first PP unit as well as getting some time on the top d pairing at times. He will most likely get 9 games with the Devils. If he plays those 9 games how he has played in the preseason he has a shot at staying up the rest of the season.

Marian Studenic - fifth-round, 143rd overall pick from last years draft. You can see flashes of him possily being an impact player some time in the future thanks to his skating and speed. Has some decent hands as well.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
- Montreal -

Kenny Agostino !

Jesperi Kotkaniemi !! MUCH better than I expected !!

Xavier Ouellet has been good so far. He looks comfortable as a Hab. Fitting the mold, doing his job.

Simon Després still there, but despite me wanting bad for things to work for him, we'll see how long they keep him in Montreal unless he get released... or signs with the Laval Rocket as said in June. Simon Desprès veut une chance - La Presse+

Michael Chaput!

Agostino is a surprise in that he absolutely should have been sent down based on his play. Same as Despres. Kotka and Ouellet are surprising on the other side of the coin.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Ryan McLeod- I could make the Oilers if he has a legitimate shot
This.
Guys drafted in the top 10 isn’t that surprising to have a long look at camp, hence most are still there.
A recent second round pick is very unusual.
Only non first round pick to make it straight to NHL in recent years that I can think of is Ryan O’Reilly.

Reactions: Son of Petter

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This.
Guys drafted in the top 10 isn’t that surprising to have a long look at camp, hence most are still there.
A recent second round pick is very unusual.
Only non first round pick to make it straight to NHL in recent years that I can think of is Ryan O’Reilly.

Formenton but he was send back.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Without question Logan O'Connor for the Avs...he's the poster boy for this thread because 99.8% of those seeing this are going to have to go look him up and then, after seeing his stats in the NCAA, are going to go...really???

Undrafted, was a junior (and captain) of the Denver Pioneers last season. Avs signed him this summer. Put up very little in the way of offensive numbers in college but skates well and plays with the kind of energy coaches love. Has been playing on a line with Compher and Calvert in the pre-season and Bednar has taken a shine to him. Doesn't look like he'll be anything more than a bottom-6 energy player who can be put on the PK but he's got a decent shot at cracking the roster to start the season and if not, at least be a call-up this year. Quite the ascendance for him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Even though he's a quality prospect, I don't think Josh Mahura was expected to compete for an NHL job this early in his pro career.

Isac Lundestrom is still in camp as well, but I can't see both him and Steel on the same roster this year, and the latter seems to be standing out more thus far. Quite likely you see them both on the team next season.

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Rourke Chartier with the Sharks.

Many counted him out as a prospect after some serious injuries in the AHL and there he is, having his best camp yet and competing for the 4C spot.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Even though he's a quality prospect, I don't think Josh Mahura was expected to compete for an NHL job this early in his pro career.

Isac Lundestrom is still in camp as well, but I can't see both him and Steel on the same roster this year, and the latter seems to be standing out more thus far. Quite likely you see them both on the team next season.

Add Kiefer Sherwood's name to that list as well.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Definitly Ryan Mcleod, somehow fell around 17 spots to us at 40 and has impressed so far. Has an outside shot at making the team although I think he'll be sent down soon. Look for him to be NHL ready next year though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad