Players Smell Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

Anyone notice how willing some of the hired NHLPA goons were to accept a cap not linked to revenues just last week? In other words, they would accept a cap but not linkage. Well, this week all those same paid shills (cough... Healy... cough) have changed their minds and its right back to "no cap of any kind... EVER!" I guess they smell blood and are going in for the kill. It's time the owners show 'em whose boss. I'm going to love to see the look on some of these guys faces when they realise their union just pissed away over 1 billion dollars.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The players smell blood? Isn't that kinda like the dog who chases his tail around in circles, finally catches it, biting off the tip and then barking out in triumph 'I got the *******?'

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
lol... if they are smelling blood - it's probably their own. If this season gets cancelled - a heck of a lot of these players have played their last game ever in the nhl.

What a waste.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Quite simply, the 'PA thinks the League is bluffing when it comes to cancellation. They don't think the League has the balls to do it, and they may well be right. They have had several chances to cancel over the last few weeks, and kept postponing it. It has been the League coming back to the 'PA these last few times, looking for a deal, which may have simply confirmed Goodenow's long held belief that the owners always cave in the end. Again, we'll find out in the next few days if he is right.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
The players smell blood?!

Thats rich. The Millionaire players are smelling blood from the Billionaire owners?

Rrrrrrrrrright. :lol: :lol :dunce:

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
MOEBEAGLE said:
Let the owners cancell the season they have no income but the player do.

How come its so hard for people to grasp this:

Billionaire > Millionaire.... By a multiple of a thousand.

No income? I guess all the interest on their hundreds of millions in capital doesnt count. :dunce:

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
You do realize, that many of the owners don't just own Hockey teams, they have a second sometimes third place of income.

I'm guessing you're a fan from one of the bigger market cities?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
And do you realize that many of the players have businesses on the side. Hockey is NOT there only income, it may very well be there main source of income, but many own other businesses that they could survive on for many years.

So don't kid yourself, many players have enough money to live off for many years.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Icey said:
And do you realize that many of the players have businesses on the side. Hockey is NOT there only income, it may very well be there main source of income, but many own other businesses that they could survive on for many years.

Not that many. I know some are part owners of restaurants that bring them maybe 50,000 a year tops. How does that compare to making 2 million bucks in the NHL?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The players let their union leadership get out of control and now it's going to cost them big time. It's too bad it has to be this way.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
MOEBEAGLE said:
Let the owners cancell the season they have no income but the player do. I hope some teams go under and those small market should because they cannot compete . :D :joker:

you sir are an a$$, we survived pocklington, we can survive a bunch of whiney children who think the world owes them because they got up all those mornings to play a GAME they love. Tell your story to the guys making 375k who bought houses and have families that this year you get by on what the NHLPA gives you. I would also like to point out all those fans who own nhlpa merchadise that they are contributing to this mess.
:shakehead

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
barnburner said:
lol... if they are smelling blood - it's probably their own. If this season gets cancelled - a heck of a lot of these players have played their last game ever in the nhl.

What a waste.

Everyone is so quick to mock this thread...yet the owners blinked in a big way this week, basically saying the players' proposal from December was good enough to try on a trial basis.

Have the players accepted a cap proposal yet? Nope.

Have the owners shown a willingness to try out a luxury tax plan? Yup.

Sure, the triggers would have put a cap in place fairly quickly. But the bottom line is that the players could, from a certain point of view, see some cracks in the owners' resolve.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
NJD Jester said:
Everyone is so quick to mock this thread...yet the owners blinked in a big way this week, basically saying the players' proposal from December was good enough to try on a trial basis.

Sure, the triggers would have put a cap in place fairly quickly. But the bottom line is that the players could, from a certain point of view, see some cracks in the owners' resolve.

That was a win/win for the owners. It would of either put them in a position for a cap and gotten 24% on current contracts or it would set them up looking pretty for an impasse situation.

I am sick of arguing who is right and wrong in this matter. What I cannot understand is what the players must be thinking? If the season is done do they think they will get a better deal next year? No way that will happen. If they are fortuante enough to have the league not win impasse (which is likely at this point) they still will not be in a position of power.

Goodenow should be focusing on one thing, getting a season in with the best deal he can. Whether that be a luxury tax that may have some bite or a hard cap that does not link to revenue (which the league will accept if it came down to it IMO).

If the season is cancelled Goodenow has lost the battle and the war. The players will be much worse off than if they give a little (or a lot) now.

Crazy Lunatic

no13matssundin said:
The players smell blood?!

Thats rich. The Millionaire players are smelling blood from the Billionaire owners?

Rrrrrrrrrright. :lol: :lol :dunce:

Maybe you weren't born when the last lockout happened in 1994, chief. The owners caved and the players think they will cave again this time. How else can you explaine sitting on your a** since Dec.9 and doing jack squat?

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
NJD Jester said:

Blinked? are you nuts, did you even read the proposal or hear Saskin? This last deal didn't include the entire proposal, they pulled out the revenue sharing!
The deals are getting worse, not better, look at them side by side.
If a trigger is met, (which will happen immediately) The league gets their UNNEGOTIATED deal implemented. The triggers that they have to work under ARE THE CAP DEAL. Lose- lose for the players.
I am for neither side, they both suck in all of this.
The players need to offer a cap proposal not including linkage and see how it flies. This should have been tried a month ago, and this could all be over. Shame on them for not doing it.
That said, I am still optomistic. This is last hour negotiating folks.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Crazy Lunatic said:
Maybe you weren't born when the last lockout happened in 1994, chief. The owners caved and the players think they will cave again this time. How else can you explaine sitting on your a** since Dec.9 and doing jack squat?

History lesson: The owners caved b/c of the upswing they had coming out of the Rangers winning the cup and the good press they were recieving. Bettman himself said that was the reason he went forward with the deal...

So, um, wheres the pressure coming from now to cave?...

whats that?...

NOWHERE?

How many billionaires are there compared to 1994 now?

Whats that?....

THIRTY?

Who has the leverage due to hundreds of millions of dollars in capital and financial security?

Whats that?....

THE OWNERS.

Ohhhh, so I guess youre a member of the PA b/c you cant seem to differentiate between 1994 and 2005. Thats the mistake their making. The thing I love hearing from PA members is this: We'll sit out for 2 years... Goodenow himself has said they might have to wait until Jan 2006. Hey, super-genius players, heres a question: What'll you do if the owners lock you out FOR ANOTHER YEAR beyond 2006? Whats that?... Work @ McDonalds? Because, guess what: As BILLIONAIRES theyre able to not open their doors and be JUST FINE. They can liquidate. They can re-sell their assets. Theyre the ones with leverage. The players have NONE. NONE. Why do you think the media continually asks players "what makes you think that theres a better deal to be had beyond this one"... they ask that because THERE ISNT ONE, and they just wanna see if the players are as dumb as they sound when they talk about 'never taking a cap' and 'no cost certainty'.

This isnt 1994. The owners will not cave. Impasse will be declared and we'll be watching hockey in September without the PA players.

Welcome to 2005.

Crazy Lunatic

no13matssundin said:
History lesson: The owners caved b/c of the upswing they had coming out of the Rangers winning the cup and the good press they were recieving. Bettman himself said that was the reason he went forward with the deal...

So, um, wheres the pressure coming from now to cave?...

whats that?...

NOWHERE?

How many billionaires are there compared to 1994 now?

Whats that?....

THIRTY?

Who has the leverage due to hundreds of millions of dollars in capital and financial security?

Whats that?....

THE OWNERS.

Ohhhh, so I guess youre a member of the PA b/c you cant seem to differentiate between 1994 and 2005. Thats the mistake their making. The thing I love hearing from PA members is this: We'll sit out for 2 years... Goodenow himself has said they might have to wait until Jan 2006. Hey, super-genius players, heres a question: What'll you do if the owners lock you out FOR ANOTHER YEAR beyond 2006? Whats that?... Work @ McDonalds? Because, guess what: As BILLIONAIRES theyre able to not open their doors and be JUST FINE. They can liquidate. They can re-sell their assets. Theyre the ones with leverage. The players have NONE. NONE. Why do you think the media continually asks players "what makes you think that theres a better deal to be had beyond this one"... they ask that because THERE ISNT ONE, and they just wanna see if the players are as dumb as they sound when they talk about 'never taking a cap' and 'no cost certainty'.

This isnt 1994. The owners will not cave. Impasse will be declared and we'll be watching hockey in September without the PA players.

Welcome to 2005.

I didn't say the owners would cave, jacko. I said that the NHLPA *thinks* they will. Yzerman himself has stated as much, he was shocked that the owners didn't come of their cap demands.

joechip

May 29, 2003
Gainesville, Fl
www.sabrerattling.com
Crazy Lunatic said:
I didn't say the owners would cave, jacko. I said that the NHLPA *thinks* they will. Yzerman himself has stated as much, he was shocked that the owners didn't come of their cap demands.

And, this confirms something that Vlad said when the lockout started. To paraphrase he said,

It will take until January (or the season being cancelled) before the players will take the owners seriously, because they've been able to bend them over in previous negotiations. It will take that long for the owners to even get the player's respect.

If I've misrepresented what you said back in September Vlad, please call me on it. I agreed with that point then, and Yzerman's reaction confirms it still for me.

The players are acting like dogs who think thye run their masters, because the master never put them in their place in the pack. The players are fighting this, but if the owners remain committed to re-eastablishing dominance, the players will cave, or never play again.

Ta,

Crazy Lunatic

joechip said:
And, this confirms something that Vlad said when the lockout started. To paraphrase he said,

It will take until January (or the season being cancelled) before the players will take the owners seriously, because they've been able to bend them over in previous negotiations. It will take that long for the owners to even get the player's respect.

If I've misrepresented what you said back in September Vlad, please call me on it. I agreed with that point then, and Yzerman's reaction confirms it still for me.

The players are acting like dogs who think thye run their masters, because the master never put them in their place in the pack. The players are fighting this, but if the owners remain committed to re-eastablishing dominance, the players will cave, or never play again.

Ta,

I agree completely. If it costs Yzerman, Chelios and Messier their careers then so be it.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
MOEBEAGLE said:
Let the owners cancell the season they have no income but the player do. I hope some teams go under and those small market should because they cannot compete . :D :joker:

Man your stupid dude!

The owners of these team have other business that make money for them and don't need the NHL losses that they are incurring by playing. Just look at Merchandising, that is worth over $800 million a year so take a 50% cut and you still have $400 million left or $13.33 million per team. They have no hockey operations costs to speak of so only have to pay amateur scouts and upper management.

The owners also have arena's they can fill for other events.

In the end i think the statement that the teams will lose less money by not playing is probably right.

The

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->