Players should Vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I think Linden, Goodenough and the others believe the Rank and File will not accept a Cap. I think the NHLPA should put the Cap Concept to a Vote from the whole rank and file. I think the results might suprise the NHLPA negotiating comittee.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
free0717 said:
I think Linden, Goodenough and the others believe the Rank and File will not accept a Cap. I think the NHLPA should put the Cap Concept to a Vote from the whole rank and file. I think the results might suprise the NHLPA negotiating comittee.
in order to vote, the NHL needs to give the PA an offer to vote on.

dr

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
free0717 said:

Vote on what ??? .... the NHL needs to subit a full CBA in order for them to even think about voting on that. To this point that's only been done once.

If the players are going to vote on the owners proposal, then the owners should also be taking a vote on the players proposal.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
John Flyers Fan said:
Vote on what ??? .... the NHL needs to subit a full CBA in order for them to even think about voting on that. To this point that's only been done once.

If the players are going to vote on the owners proposal, then the owners should also be taking a vote on the players proposal.

Why cant the Rank and File just have a vote on whether they would accept a salary cap. No numbers need to be involved. Yes or No.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
free0717 said:
Why cant the Rank and File just have a vote on whether they would accept a salary cap. No numbers need to be involved. Yes or No.

Number matter just a bit. I'm sure the rank and file would accept a hard cap at 85% ..... but they aren't going to accept one at 50%.

Just like there are luxury taxes, that the ownership would accept.

SENSible1*

The NHL needs to put forward a full offer prior to any calls for a vote by the PA.

I expect them to do so shortly as they are obviously laying the PR foundation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Scugs said:
All depends whether Linden wants to or not. Goodenow doesnt want a vote, it will end up making him look like an idiot.

He already IS an idiot!

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Thunderstruck said:
The NHL needs to put forward a full offer prior to any calls for a vote by the PA.

I expect them to do so shortly as they are obviously laying the PR foundation.

Why, The NHLPA negotiating commitee has stated any salary cap is a non starter.

Why cant the Negotiating committee take a vote of the Rank and File and see if they would be receptive to a cap if it meant saving the season and moving forward.

As far as percentages and other rights, the negotiating committee can bring that back to the Rank and File for final ratification. But at this point without getting a feel for the Rank and File, it sure sounds like the negotiating committee will reject any offer by the NHL outright.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
go kim johnsson said:
He already IS an idiot!
Both sides are so idiotic, I now realize that supporting one side or the other is so ridiculous, I am almost embarrassed that I did take a side.

Bill Daly..."Gee, gosh, I just...duh...don't understand why they haven't called?"

Like for (Insert bad word that would get me in trouble HERE) sakes, pull your heads out your asses and put your crew in a room for as long as it takes to make a deal.

You would think this is rocket science. Dividing $2 Billion dollars. Nope...not tough in my mind.

I could have written a satisfactory CBA for both sides in less than 30 days back in September....and these yo-yos seem bent on waving their manhoods around playing chicken with the sport.

I will not give the NHL my full support until both of these men are gone.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
I don't know how Goodenow, Saskin and Linden can live with themselves these days. They are totally responsible for the misread and for holding fans, owners, the players they are supposed to be representing, employees, coroporate sponsors, associated business ops.and even the hot dog venders hostage.

My understanding is that NHLPA bylaws forbid a vote until the executive committee have an offer that they themselves agree to first. Then and only then are players allowed to vote. It's the equivalent of Bettman's veto power. This thing is a long long long way from getting resolved.

The only way for this thing to get resolved IMHO is for agents to canvass their clients via confidential vote and go public with it. :help: :help: :help:

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
free0717 said:

just where is it said the players do not have the resolve

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/hockey/nhl/san_jose_sharks/10756433.htm

..."But players say they're fighting the salary cap that owners are demanding for reasons that go beyond limits on their own paychecks.

They talk about the need to do what's right for the game. They contend a cap would force higher roster turnover that would damage both the caliber of play and the bond between teams and fans."

Earlier this week, the players showed no inclination to cave. If neither side does, the NHL will become the first pro league to wipe out an entire season.

``We've said over and over that we're not going to take a cap,'' Sharks captain Patrick Marleau said, ``and they keep putting it in there.''

I contend about 25% vote for it, that or the so called "nagging wife" factor might bring that to 40% but I'm sure its no where near a majority.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
eye said:
I don't know how Goodenow, Saskin and Linden can live with themselves these days. They are totally responsible for the misread and for holding fans, owners, the players they are supposed to be representing, employees, coroporate sponsors, associated business ops.and even the hot dog venders hostage.

My understanding is that NHLPA bylaws forbid a vote until the executive committee have an offer that they themselves agree to first. Then and only then are players allowed to vote. It's the equivalent of Bettman's veto power. This thing is a long long long way from getting resolved.

The only way for this thing to get resolved IMHO is for agents to canvass their clients via confidential vote and go public with it. :help: :help: :help:
Um. No. As an owners supporter I realize how assinine they have been through the process as well. I think you should too.

SENSible1*

rekrul said:
I contend about 25% vote for it, that or the so called "nagging wife" factor might bring that to 40% but I'm sure its no where near a majority.
Well as long as you are sure, then I guess there is no need for a vote.

Fish

Feb 27, 2002
www.outsidethegarden.com
rekrul said:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/hockey/nhl/san_jose_sharks/10756433.htm

They talk about the need to do what's right for the game. They contend a cap would force higher roster turnover that would damage both the caliber of play and the bond between teams and fans."

I too am concerned about increasing turnover in the game...but I'm not sure that the NHLPA is really going to champion that cause for me. Free agency is of course one of the biggest causes of turnover right now and that was something that the players sought last time round. Now I'm not advocating rolling back free agency, but I think it underlines how weak this argument is coming from the players...it's about money on both sides, it's not about the fans, it's not about the "good of the game"...it's about money.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
rekrul said:

..."But players say they're fighting the salary cap that owners are demanding for reasons that go beyond limits on their own paychecks.

QUOTE]

Wow, the players really must think the fans are really stupid if they expect us to swallow this. Do what's right for the game? I'm almost fell off the couch laughing at that one. High turnover? If they are so concerned about turnover, why are they always fighting for lower unrestricted free agent ages. This is what leads to roster turnover. What a bunch of delusional morons...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
rekrul said:
``We've said over and over that we're not going to take a cap,'' Sharks captain Patrick Marleau said, ``and they keep putting it in there.''

NHL spokesperson: "We've said over and over a cap is necessary in any new agreement." or something to that effect.

Players: "Well, we won't accept one."

"Well, we won't accept not implementing one."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!"
:banghead:

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
i agree, the players should vote on a cap and stop letting goodenow talk for them. the only reason he doesnt want a vote is because he doesnt want to lose his pride, and lose to bettman. thats the main problem with these negotiations is that bettman and good are putting themselves b4 the game

Wetcoaster

Great idea. But just so the vote is fair the NHLPA only needs the same ratio of votes as the NHL (8 out of 32) to support a deal not recommended by the bargaining committee.

As long as 200 players vote to reject the salary cap that is sufficient. Fair is fair.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Great idea. But just so the vote is fair the NHLPA only needs the same ratio of votes as the NHL (8 out of 32) to support a deal not recommended by the bargaining committee.

As long as 200 players vote to reject the salary cap that is sufficient. Fair is fair.
Of course, to be fair, the players would first have to vote to change the ratio of votes from a simple majority to one matching the NHL owners voted in.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
I think i remember the hockey news doing a survey on whether players would support a cap or not and the numbers were somewhere in the neighborhood of %80 saying No to a cap. This was a few months ago tho i believe, attitudes may have changed as this train ride has droned on.

Edit:

ya here's the survey, was in early december:
http://www.thn.com/en/headlines/detail.asp?id=26268

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
eye said:

For the love of fun, why the hell can't you admit just once that the owners are being a bunch of idiots too. Last time I checked it was the owners who locked the doors, and were laying off half of their staff and pissing off their corporate sponsors, waiting for the magical salary cap fairy to bring them buckets of wealth.

And if you make a confidential vote public, it isn't exactly confidential is it? Maybe they've already tried this, but the cavassing revealed the players are overwhelmingly in favour of the NHLPA leadership. Did you ever consider that? Tunnel vision never helped anyone, there actually might be a chance that your beliefs are horribly horribly wrong.

How anyone can blame Linden and only Linden for the mess the league is in right now is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad