Players: Report of NHL salary cap solution is premature

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-06-08-salary-cap_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

"The NHLPA and NHL discussions this week continue to cover a range of issues such as controls on team salaries, revenue sharing, Olympic participation, the amateur player draft and player retention rights. While the parties continue to have discussions to reach a common ground, no agreements have been reached," NHLPA spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon said"

The latest session began Tuesday and is scheduled to run through today. It was another small-group session, and neither Commissioner Gary Bettman nor NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow was in the room Wednesday.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
WTF??????

Are they trying to play poker with this??? They already had their bluff called when the season was cancelled.....They are going to derail negotiations....again...with this rhetoric.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It would be a big mistake to think that just because a rough cap system is outlined that it cannot change... or willnot...

There are still lots of other issues to cover.... and if the PA does not get what it wants there I would assume that the cap issue will be either adjusted or all for not...

While it is the major issue and seems like it would/should be tackled first, the cap will be the last issue nailed down.....

Whatever happens regarding Qualifying offers, FA, buyouts, ext all will effect how the cap system will need to work..

I expect that after the rest of the details are worked out, the cap numbers and system will get brought back up by one side or the other if they feel they are losing out on the "smaller issues" or if there is a systematic problem as a result of the "smaller issues"..

And... IMO, the best policy by both sides is to deny everything....

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I wouldn't expect either side to say anything else at this point. They will play it cagey until this thing is done.

To get a truer barometer of the state of negotiations, I look at Brendan Morrison's quotes today. I honestly don't think taking this baby off the rails is an option anymore...for either side.

King_Brown

Yeah really, do you think the PA would some out to say.

'We have agreed to linkage and a cap formula, we can confirm this, and we are now working on all other issues."
Teddy Saskins

I still don't think its done either, but no one will cofirm anything.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's because they haven't agreed to anything yet. That team-by-team thing the Globe and Mail is reporting makes absolutely no sense unless there is a luxury tax the NHL said they would never acceot.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
This morning CNN actually made a reference to the lockout. They said it looks like sides were getting close as the players have agreed to a salary cap. Then, the co-anchor said "but in more important sports news, Michigan beat UCLA in women's college softball in the 10th inning."

If this doesn't drive home the message...

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
HF2002 said:
This morning CNN actually made a reference to the lockout. They said it looks like sides were getting close as the players have agreed to a salary cap. Then, the co-anchor said "but in more important sports news, Michigan beat UCLA in women's college softball in the 10th inning."

If this doesn't drive home the message...

CNN and news sure do go together well. They need more Al Sharpton interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad