Players own League - funded by former NY mayor Rudy Giuliani?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
But while Giuliani and Strong might have brought considerable clout to the endeavor, it never gained traction with the leadership of the NHL Players Association.

So this whole startup league that has been dead for weeks or months was all the NHLPA's idea?

GSC2k2*

Did anyone else notice how quickly and comprehensively Massager abandoned this thread after putting forth all sorts of pithy observations on this "interesting power move"? :D

SENSible1*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Did anyone else notice how quickly and comprehensively Massager abandoned this thread after putting forth all sorts of pithy observations on this "interesting power move"? :D

Hard to miss, wasn't it? ;)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Messenger said:
Keep in mind this is not a what IF story .. this has a big number $5 billion and some really big, financial moguls being named ..

They will explore and exhaust all avenues on how to best spend the money should this every come to pass ..

..I don't think you are giving some NHL owners enough credit .. If someone came along and offered you your franchise fee market value , with a good return on invest.. Many would listen .. IMO ..

Good times... :win:

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Larionov said:
Oh God, not this again. I know the 'PA hardliners like to shine up this old chestnut from time to time, but no one can possibly be taking this seriously, given the well documented failure of previous efforts. I can't imagine that this news has caused anyone at the NHL's head office much concern.

You ain't kidding. No matter how much money a new league has, they couldn't fly. They have no place to play. The WHA didn't even propose a a team in Toronto because there was no place to play - the Leafs have everything locked up. No "big league" hockey league could possibly survive without Toronto.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Oh please. Any big league could survive without Toronto.

Problem is, no big league could survive without decent buildings in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Detroit, Boston, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad