Players own League - funded by former NY mayor Rudy Giuliani?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Check out the latest Gossip strip

Players float plan for rival to NHL
League a 'backup' if deal not reached
Move raises stakes in hockey dispute

[size=+0]RICK WESTHEAD
[/size]BUSINESS REPORTER
If the National Hockey League and its players' union fail to reach an agreement on a new contract this summer, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani and a leading Canadian diplomat may help the game's stars engineer a return to the ice.

The NHL lockout enters its ninth month today and both sides have said talks are progressing toward ending the stalemate. Yet in recent weeks, the players' association, in concert with at least one prominent hockey agent, has considered a plan to start a rival league to the NHL.

Tentatively called the International Hockey Association, the league would rely on Giuliani's New York consulting company to help raise as much as $5 billion (U.S.) in seed money for the upstart league, according to a 71-page business plan reviewed by the Toronto Star and circulated to prospective Wall Street investors including Goldman Sachs & Co. and Allen & Co.

"This is about bargaining power," said Gordon Saint Denis, a sports investment banker with CIT Group Inc. in New York. "It's about the players saying, `We'll show the league we have another option.'"

Giuliani might also act as an emissary to Australian media baron Rupert Murdoch, whose Fox television empire would potentially become an investor and broadcast games, a source said.

"Following the NHL's decision to lock out the players and subsequently cancel the 2004-05 season, the NHLPA has been approached by several different groups proposing alternative options for our members," said Ted Saskin, senior director of the NHLPA.

Full Story :
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1117577413560&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes
Interesting power move !!!!!!!!!!!

chiavsfan

As was the WHA (failed), the "Player Superstar Tour" (barely even a crowd). There will not be a rival to the NHL, it's been proven time and time again.

It's also been proven that while people cheer for the players, they are cheering for the players in their favorite Jersey. The Oklahoma Wombats can have some good players, but will never be as popular as the Detroit Red Wings

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
chiavsfan said:
As was the WHA (failed), the "Player Superstar Tour" (barely even a crowd). There will not be a rival to the NHL, it's been proven time and time again.

It's also been proven that while people cheer for the players, they are cheering for the players in their favorite Jersey. The Oklahoma Wombats can have some good players, but will never be as popular as the Detroit Red Wings

Although I agree with you, the one thing this potential league apparently has that the WHA and the OSHL were sorely lacking is $5 billion. It would only start based on the assumption that the NHL lockout continues indefinitely, imploding in the process. In the absence of an NHL, this league COULD attract most NHL fans, as the hockey would actually matter, and there's enough money lying around to make sure it's somewhat of a success.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh God, not this again. I know the 'PA hardliners like to shine up this old chestnut from time to time, but no one can possibly be taking this seriously, given the well documented failure of previous efforts. I can't imagine that this news has caused anyone at the NHL's head office much concern.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Larionov said:
Oh God, not this again. I know the 'PA hardliners like to shine up this old chestnut from time to time, but no one can possibly be taking this seriously, given the well documented failure of previous efforts. I can't imagine that this news has caused anyone at the NHL's head office much concern.
However Bring Back Bucky may be employed and busy again soon..

The one thing that people could conclude from this is that this is the ANTI-DEAL group leading this charge Rich Winter player agent leading the charge here .. He is virtually related to Goodenow the way he praises him .. So his suport may still have quite a following.. IMG challanging the NHL with the unsigned draft picks, others attempting NHL end arounds in rival leagues .. Its interesting none the less

The $5 bil in not peanuts being tossed around and while the success of the league may come into question with Owners group ..

How many hockey players could be convinced into thinking this could work?? ..

Roenick said as much coming out of that PA players meeting about starting his own league ..

This might be a Goodenow NHLPA solidarity move attempt.

You know don't crack just yet we are making headway in the negotiations so stay strong and here is a possible END GAME if things go bad ..

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt Rudy is funding this even if he has 5 billion.

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
gc2005 said:
Although I agree with you, the one thing this potential league apparently has that the WHA and the OSHL were sorely lacking is $5 billion. It would only start based on the assumption that the NHL lockout continues indefinitely, imploding in the process. In the absence of an NHL, this league COULD attract most NHL fans, as the hockey would actually matter, and there's enough money lying around to make sure it's somewhat of a success.

They don't have the money yet - the article stated that they would hire Giuliani's consulting company to help raise the funds. With all the venue difficulties in existing large NHL markets, raising that kind of capital would be a difficult tasks (to put it mildly).

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Sorry folks but comparing the OSHL and WHA to this is ridiculous.

If Rupert Murdoch gets involved, consider it a go. Giuliani involved in the first place? Worth reporting on.

Sorry but if this league can raise $5 billion in seed money, it'll happen. Nobody committs $5 billion to something that doesn't happen.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
habfan4 said:
They don't have the money yet - the article stated that they would hire Giuliani's consulting company to help raise the funds. With all the venue difficulties in existing large NHL markets, raising that kind of capital would be a difficult tasks (to put it mildly).

If they can sign on 10 investment firms to pump in $500 million each, it's possible.

Rumor is Giuliani's company already has been shopping a proposal around to investment bankers.

SENSible1*

gc2005 said:

If the PA had the $5 B in hand you might have a point. Unfortunately for you and them, this is nothing more than a last second desperation play by the PA.

Good for a morning chuckle, nothing more.

Optimist*

How can anyone be stupid enough to put $5bb into a business that Bain is valueing at $4bb after 80 years of history and all the good leases. The NHL isnt even counting the interest on the $5bb that its owners have put up in their calculation of losses. I can imagine the CAP on the new league the players would have to face, with the new investors certainly looking to pay off the interest charges on their loans as well as the losses, which would be greater. 15-18 mm cap?

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Fantastic!!! :sarcasm: (sorry BBB, could'nt help myself)

Have they told the NHLPA that they will also centralise ownership to keep salaries in check (as per Bain) yet, or are they waiting till they all sign on? :biglaugh:

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
If they can sign on 10 investment firms to pump in $500 million each, it's possible.

Rumor is Giuliani's company already has been shopping a proposal around to investment bankers.

A paltry $500 million per investment firm, How hard could that be? :shakehead

The absence of suitable venues in markets like NYC and Toronto (to name but two) would give any reasonable investor a moments pause. To say nothing of the decreasing revenue streams a rival league would have to share with the competing NHL (I assume they would open the doors and field teams).

An NHLPA league is a very very long shot.

WC Handy*

Schlep Rock said:
Sorry folks but comparing the OSHL and WHA to this is ridiculous.

If Rupert Murdoch gets involved, consider it a go. Giuliani involved in the first place? Worth reporting on.

Sorry but if this league can raise $5 billion in seed money, it'll happen. Nobody committs $5 billion to something that doesn't happen.

Having $5B won't change the fact that the leagues doesn't have buildings to play in, doesn't have any TV deal at all, and doesn't have sponsorships. And most importantly, they lack the track record to go get those tv deals and sponsorships.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
If the PA had the $5 B in hand you might have a point. Unfortunately for you and them, this is nothing more than a last second desperation play by the PA.

Good for a morning chuckle, nothing more.

Unfortunately for me? I don't give a rat's ass if this thing gets going. The NHL is by far a better option than starting from scratch. All I'm saying is if they've got $5 billion and the NHL is pissed away, they have a chance.

And since when did Rudy Guliani become an NHLPA member? Where does it say that this is the players and Bob Goodenow's idea?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
triggrman said:
NHL owners control most of the arenas in most markets don't they? Where are these teams going to play?
That is true ...

but the big market owners in this dispute are losing the most by no nhl hockey ..

Whose is to say if this battle continues at their expense for the good of the small market teams that owners like Tannenbaum in Toronto, Dolan in NY and Snider in Philly will not open their arenas and allow them to be leased out during this battle. They have little to say in this CBA outcome as there voices are not heard ..

If I am them how long do I sit idle as Bettman tries to save Nashville and Florida and Carolina ??

Bettman has gone as far as saying if he doesn't get a deal in the next month and they can't raise funds now then they migh as well cancel the season .. If he did that ..

Who is to stop these Billionaire owners to line their pockets via leasing out the arena's while Rudy Guliani pays the players ??

What a gravey train for them ..

The leasing out of the Arena's would earn them more profit the running the teams themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zero player cost and the big stars that fans want to see will be on the ice .. Big market could sell that .. It would be like the original 6 again in star quality on the ice ..

Something to think about ..

Last edited:

Hockeymomma

Feb 12, 2005
Toronto
Bain first offered 2 then 3 then 4....maybe 5 is the number!!! Bain wil probably offer 5 later this week....the Bain thing is a Bettman orchestration to keep the owners happy about their declining franchise values....

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
WC Handy said:
Having $5B won't change the fact that the leagues doesn't have buildings to play in, doesn't have any TV deal at all, and doesn't have sponsorships. And most importantly, they lack the track record to go get those tv deals and sponsorships.

TV deals = Murdoch

Long shot but I don't necessarily think everyone should just write it off as a smoke screen/publicity stunt.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
eticket said:
How can anyone be stupid enough to put $5bb into a business that Bain is valueing at $4bb after 80 years of history and all the good leases. The NHL isnt even counting the interest on the $5bb that its owners have put up in their calculation of losses. I can imagine the CAP on the new league the players would have to face, with the new investors certainly looking to pay off the interest charges on their loans as well as the losses, which would be greater. 15-18 mm cap?

Ah, because they can Americanize the game.
Periods blah, 4 15 minute quarters
Fighting blah, I don't think so
Cheerleaders, cause all guys love cheerleaders

They would turn up the music, crank up the special effects, have an automatic national contract with FOX, have most of the owners wanting in and make hockey the coolest thing in America.

The reason the NHL is not bigger in the states is because its known as a "Canadian game". You package it up, have FOX give great time slots for National games, and boom that 5 Billion turns into 10 Billion rather fast.

I may be the only one on these boards that believe the NHL is dead in its current form. The players may come back and there might be NHL games again but the hockey fans are going to remember this strike (lockout) for a long long time. The bigger market fans will hate the smaller market fans when they lose players because of a cap. The smaller market teams will hate the larger market teams when they lose players to them because of potential advertising in bigger markets.

The NHL has been stagnant for close to 15 years, maybe it is time for a change for hockey fans

You know this could actually work

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
habfan4 said:
A paltry $500 million per investment firm, How hard could that be? :shakehead

An NHLPA organized league is a long shot but don't laugh at $500 million per firm... I've seen venture capital firms put that or more in companies that you'd never imagine them getting involved in and bam, there you go!

It's a long shot but let's not laugh it off right away.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Schlep Rock said:
An NHLPA organized league is a long shot but don't laugh at $500 million per firm... I've seen venture capital firms put that or more in companies that you'd never imagine them getting involved in and bam, there you go!

It's a long shot but let's not laugh it off right away.

Ruperts friends could come up with 5 Billion dollars within 15 minutes. If this is a serious report, it's interesting to say the least

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I'm willing to bet $1000 right now that this league will never see the light.

It's another pathetic pipedream for the players who think they can somehow get leverate in the CBA discussions. Well, there's a chance one of the hardliner owners would die for laughing too much but other than that, Bettman & co couldn't care less about this latest sham.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Pepper said:
I'm willing to bet $1000 right now that this league will never see the light.

It's another pathetic pipedream for the players who think they can somehow get leverate in the CBA discussions. Well, there's a chance one of the hardliner owners would die for laughing too much but other than that, Bettman & co couldn't care less about this latest sham.

I would not be laughing to hard if Rupert Murdoch is indeed involved. One of the richest men in the world have a way of making things work

Again I seriously doubt its true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->