GDT: Players locker cleanout

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
lmfao, the entire sabres locker room sounds like their dog just died or something. dahlin gets on the line on the instigators and starts the interview by saying "i had so much fun!"

i love this kid
Well, I'm sure it would be different in year 3 or 4 of this.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
His edgework is amazing but added speed/power would do a lot for now he plays the game. I would even say necessary to become Norris-level.
Agreed...he needs to get a bit more explosive. He got beat a few times by having a "slow" first step. If he's going to play an aggressive game, which we obviously want him too, a quicker first stride or two will help him tremendously in getting back.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Agreed...he needs to get a bit more explosive. He got beat a few times by having a "slow" first step. If he's going to play an aggressive game, which we obviously want him too, a quicker first stride or two will help him tremendously in getting back.

how much is quicker first stride better anticipation?

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Good point and I'm confident he'll learn. I think he was getting away with some of that stuff in the Swedish league and is still learning. But he has so much room to get strong and more powerful, which will allow him to continue being aggressive.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I'm already prepping myself for the Risto trade that is absolute garbage just like the Hall and ROR trade.
I'm already prepping myself for the Risto trade that is absolute garbage just like the Hall and ROR trade.
I guess it depends on how you value Risto. He's basically a replacement level player at even strength, and decent on the PP. If you get a top 6 forward or a worse offense/better defensive Top 4 d-man for him, you can likely become a better team. Keep in mind that Dahlin took over the top PP, so he won't get those minutes.

Reactions: dire wolf

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Doctor: what’s broken

Bogo: Me

Doctor: I mean where specifically are you broken.

Bogo: Me

Bogosian in the trainers room:

GettyImages-89369815-56a6d9f55f9b58b7d0e51c98.jpg

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I guess it depends on how you value Risto. He's basically a replacement level player at even strength, and decent on the PP. If you get a top 6 forward or a worse offense/better defensive Top 4 d-man for him, you can likely become a better team. Keep in mind that Dahlin took over the top PP, so he won't get those minutes.

I think hes got potential but his best coach was Bylsma...and I don't remember anyone lining up to hire him as their head coach.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
We have one thing going for us - it's still possible that Risto's trade value is higher than the on-ice value he's had (though maybe not higher than the value we'd get if we had developed and then used him correctly).

I think Jason knows he can't repeat the ROR trade, and so I don't think a decision to trade Risto is an automatic disaster. In fact, I lean towards being optimistic at the return, and am really curious to know what the offers are.

Reactions: jc17

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
These interviews in general are pretty worthless in my opinion.

Yes. And press conferences, too.

The only value to me is when someone comes out, skips all the pablum and generic responses, and instead apologizes to the fans for not making the playoffs, for not reaching their team goal, for not being fully prepared each and every game, not giving full efforts for 60 minutes, and as a consequence missing out on the next 9-10 weeks of what can be the best hockey in the world.

And, if you're the GM, can you please tell the fans / media your guiding principles which aren't changing? Because the past couple years seem reflexive.

Say something of substance strategically, which doesn't reveal the tactical plans or tip your hand to the other NHL clubs. Give us a direction. Do you want to get faster? Bigger? More elusive? More experienced? More youthful - because you think they're ready?

In short, can you admit your misstep, apologize, and demonstrably point the way forward? Half-speak, double-talk, and non-answers don't instill confidence in your team / teammates, and the fans whom you rely on for support.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Well, I'm sure it would be different in year 3 or 4 of this.

for sure, his youthful excitement isn't going to last forever, especially if the team continues to flounder. still, i'm going to enjoy his positive attitude before the league and the media and all of his sad sack teammates beat it out of him.

his attitude is a breath of fresh air and the team could use more of it

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Dahlin,
His edgework is amazing but added speed/power would do a lot for now he plays the game. I would even say necessary to become Norris-level.

Agreed. He has trouble when guys get behind him.

Not much. You can be as anticipatory as humanly possible - it won’t make you get to top speed any quicker.

Good point and I'm confident he'll learn. I think he was getting away with some of that stuff in the Swedish league and is still learning. But he has so much room to get strong and more powerful, which will allow him to continue being aggressive.
To pile on to the above, I think a quicker first step / better acceleration will help him just as much offensively as in defensive recovery. He's so calm holding the puck as an opposing forechecker encroaches. He allows the space to close before releasing it - unbelievable for a rookie / 18yo. Imagine if he added the ability to take a (better) couple more explosive initial steps to elude a forechecker more adroitly, tilting the numbers / ice in the other direction instantly. You see the way Eichel does that. (And I'm not expecting Dahlin to develop Eichel-like initial burst from a standstill / near-standstill.)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We have one thing going for us - it's still possible that Risto's trade value is higher than the on-ice value he's had (though maybe not higher than the value we'd get if we had developed and then used him correctly).

I think Jason knows he can't repeat the ROR trade, and so I don't think a decision to trade Risto is an automatic disaster. In fact, I lean towards being optimistic at the return, and am really curious to know what the offers are.

We can hope. Tampa has 4 UFA defensemen and supposedly an interest. (And again, if the Bolts want someone, there is the thought that they think they can solve his problems... and they probably will.)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We can hope. Tampa has 4 UFA defensemen and supposedly an interest. (And again, if the Bolts want someone, there is the thought that they think they can solve his problems... and they probably will.)

If any team manages to "solve his problems", there's no return that will look good unless we hit on a megastar with whatever pick we'd get for him.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I'm fully expecting them to be embarrassed in trade again.

All this can be prevented if Botts demands a top prospect in return like he should have done in the ROR deal. If we have Thomas right now suddenly we are thinking that was a win-win deal. He won't though, instead it will be one of those quantity for quality deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->