Players Going to Europe in 2004-2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Here is a rough list of players signed and committed to Europe next season. As a reminder, players who play in Europe and are under contract in the HFNHL, move to your prospect roster and are unavailable until they return to the NHL.

Of note, players signing case of an NHL Lock-out have not been added, as they are not officially 'committed' to playing in Europe next season.

Players going in Europe for 2004-05 (as of July 13th)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

ATLANTA :
Brian Swanson, Kassel Huskies, Germany
Randy Robitaille, ZSC Lions, Switzerland
Tommi Santala, HIFK Helsinki, Finland (June 8th)

ANAHEIM :
Tony Martensson, Linköpings HC, Sweden

BOSTON :
Tim Thomas, Jokerit Helsinki, Finland
Rich Brennan, SC Bern, Switzerland (July 1st)

BUFFALO :
Dmitri Kalinin, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Russia (July 2nd)

CAROLINA :
Jamie Storr, Adler Mannheim, Germany

CHICAGO :
Igor Korolev, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, Russia (July 13th)

COLUMBUS :
Derrick Walser, Eisbären Berlin, Germany
Fred Brathwaite, Ak Bars Kazañ, Russia (June 19th)
Donald MacLean, Blues Espoo, Finland (July 2nd)
Brad Moran, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, Russia (July 7th)

COLORADO :
Tommi Salo, MoDo Hockey, Sweden

DALLAS :
Lubomir Sekeras, Nürnberg Ice Tigers, Germany (July 8th)
Mark Wotton, SKA St. Petersburg, Russia (July 9th)

DETROIT :
Marc Lamothe, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, Russia (June 15th)

EDMONTON :
Mikko Luoma, MIF Redhawks, Sweden (June 9th)

FLORIDA :
Denis Shvidky, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, Russia (July 7th)

LOS ANGELES :
Pavel Rosa, Dynamo Moskva, Russia
Steve Kelly, Adler Mannheim, Germany
Milan Hnilicka, HC Liberec, Czech Republic
Maksim Kuznetsov, Dynamo Moskva, Russia

MINNESOTA :
Mika Hannula, Mif Redhawks, Sweden

MONTREAL :
Benoit Gratton, HC Lugano, Switzerland (June 15th)
Andreas Dackell, Brynäs IF, Sweden (May 14th)

NASHVILLE :
Jonas Andersson, Södertälje SK, Sweden
Robert Schnabel, HC Sparta Praha, Czech Republic
Kiril Safronov, Ak Bars Kazañ, Russia (June 13th)
Darren Haydar, Nürnberg Ice Tigers, Germany (June 15th)
Timo Helbling, Kloten Flyers, Switzerland (June 17th)
Curtis Murphy, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, Russia (June 21st)

NEW JERSEY :
Marek Chvatal, HC Ocelári Trinec, Czech Republic (june 20th)
Viktor Kozlov, Lada Togliatti, Russia (July 12th)

NEW YORK ISLANDERS :
Alan LeTang, Hamburg Freezers, Germany
Tomi Pettinen, Lukko Rauma, Finland

OTTAWA :
Julien Vauclair, HC Lugano, Switzerland

PHILADELPHIA :
Mattias Timander, MoDo Hockey, Sweden

PHOENIX :
Goran Bezina, HC Genève-Servette, Switzerland
Frank Banham, SaiPa Lappeenranta, Finland (July 12th)

PITTSBURG :
Patrick Boileau, HC Lausanne, Switzerland
David Koci, HC Sparta Praha, Czech Republic
Michal Sivek, HC Sparta Praha, Czech Republic
Landon Wilson, Blues Espoo, Finland (June 23rd)

TAMPA BAY :
Jimmie Olvestad, Djurgardens, Sweden
Pascal Trépanier, Nürnberg Ice Tigers, Germany

TORONTO :
Mikael Renberg, Lulea HF, Sweden

VANCOUVER :
Nolan Baumgartner, Frankfurt Lions, Germany
Jaroslav Obsut, Lulea, Sweden
Sean Pronger, Frankfurt Lions, Germany
Sergei Varlamov, Ak Bars Kazañ, Russia (June 13th)
Brandon Reid, Hamburg Freezers, Germany (July 7th)

WASHINGTON :
Andrej Podkonicki, HC Liberec, Czech Republic
Ivan Ciernik, EHC Wolfsburg, Germany
Ratislav Stana, Sodertalje SK, Sweden
Dainius Zubrus, Lada Togliatti, Russia (July 1st)
Roman Tvrdon, Nottingham Panthers. England (July 12th)

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Not sure if this thread is also to identify players who were in Europe last year but were still on my HFNHL roster, but oh well.

I assume Claude Lemieux will either stay in Europe or simply retire. He played, albeit only 7 games, in the Swiss League last year. Same goes for Peter Skudra, who will continue to play in the Russian Super League as far as I can see.

Also, an early prediction...Petr Schastlivy will sign with a Russian Super League team. Heard it here first. ;)

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
From a HFNHL Canes point of view,

Garrett Bembridge and Sean Pronger have gone to Europe... Both are shown on the waymoresports.com website in the NHL watch section.

They were both AHLers but i guess everyone counts.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Timander still hasnt sign for MODO if that what you are asking. He has denied atleast two offers from the Flyers so far this summer.

godlh

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Leafs Euro additions...

In addition to Randy Robitaille, Jonas Andersson and Brandon Reid (as indicated by Nick above), the following three players are also scheduled to play in Europe this coming season...

D Tom Koivisto
Frolunda, SEL
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?2998

D Peter Smrek
EHC Wolfsburgh, Germany
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?2047

W Craig Adams
Milano Vipers, Italy
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?1837

Also, recetly signed Tommy Albelin has decided to retire, he will not join the Leafs this coming season, as was first expected...
http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?0242

Eric

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Players playing in Europe especially Czerkawski

First things first, I find it interesting that this gets posted right after I mentioned that I will fight this every step of the way.

Fact #1 Czerkawski has played for this team before...got his start with them.

Fact #2 Czerkawski has an ex-wife and a kid in Sweden.

Conclusion, would you not want to see your daughter as much as possible knowing that there will not be an NHL season because the owners and players will not come to some agreement? Look at when he signed, one week before the lockout began.
Does that really look like a person who had the intent of signing with an European team? I say no. Don't go saying oh the rules say this the rules say that. This will be the silliest season if you look at it that way. Get your head out of your ass and get past it. Excuse my harsh language but I'm sick of all this crap. Keep it simple, leave the elligibility alone for this year or its going to be one huge mess. Hell we can't even get the season started on time every year and if we're going to nit pick over a simple fact that a player has chosen to be close to his daughter rather then sit out a year and make nothing, then I will walk and leave some other GM to take over my team and go find another league to build a good team.

Quite frankly its probably jealousy that gets this brought up time over time. This will be my second season with this team and I made it to the final eight already with a team that finished last the year before. What have you done? Nothing...So leave my team alone and stop stiring up crap. Oh and in the event that Czerkawski can't play...do you think that hurts me? Hell it makes me stronger by giving me the opportunity to get a similar player at either a lower salary and have Czerkawski on my prospect list...all while saving money...so go ahead make my day and choose your own adventure. My team will still beat yours everyday of the week.

Oh and if you think there's going to be any hockey besides what you see in Europe, the Ahl, OHL, CHL and other crappy leagues before January 2006 you've got another thing coming. Players making 1.8 mil don't need the cash and they've got a reserve fund for those that do need the cash...oh wait they can just go to Europe and play too. What do you propose we do next year when players like Spezza's ratings come up, do we lower them cause he played in the AHL?

Sorry for the long rant but this topic has gotten my blood boiling. I found out why Czerkawski made the decision to play in Sweden...perhaps you should look it up. Get your facts straight. Leave everything as is except for players who have blatantly retired. Keep it simple!

So what's t going to be commish? Make a ruling and lets get this settled once and for all.

GM Dryden Lewis
one pissed off individual

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wow, Dry - who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Dryden said:
First things first, I find it interesting that this gets posted right after I mentioned that I will fight this every step of the way.

Huh? Where did you say that? I don't see you having written in this thread prior to this, and certainly not prior to the Czerkawski announcement... maybe I missed it.

Dryden said:
Fact #1 Czerkawski has played for this team before...got his start with them.

Fact #2 Czerkawski has an ex-wife and a kid in Sweden.

OK... sorry, but what's your point? I didn't see anyone make any judgements about Czerkawski's signing in Europe, just reporting the contract. It's very nice that Mariusz is being a good dad - I wish more were. I just have no idea what that has to do with his being available or not for the HFNHL.

Dryden said:
Look at when he signed, one week before the lockout began. Does that really look like a person who had the intent of signing with an European team? I say no. Don't go saying oh the rules say this the rules say that. This will be the silliest season if you look at it that way... Keep it simple, leave the elligibility alone for this year or its going to be one huge mess.

OK, I see more where you are coming from here - but how would you propose we distinguish between players who "had the intent of signing with a European team" from those that didn't? Seems to me you either set a deadline (which is consistent with our past seasons), or you make an exception this year and let everyone play, regardless of where they are in the world.

Dryden said:
Quite frankly its probably jealousy that gets this brought up time over time.

It's something far more insidious than that, Dry - it's GEOGRAPHY. The guys posting this announcement live in Scandinavia, and get local coverage of these things. North American coverage is inconsistent at best. I for one appreciate getting the local updates. It's pretty spectacluarly rude of you to go off on these guys for posting this update, especially making it personal. That's not usually your style, so I'll chalk it up to an honest mistake, but either way I believe an apology is in order.

Dryden said:
Oh and if you think there's going to be any hockey besides what you see in Europe, the Ahl, OHL, CHL and other crappy leagues before January 2006 you've got another thing coming.

I have yet to hear anyone suggest anything to the contrary. Anywhere. Frankly we'll be lucky to see NHL (or whatever they end up calling it) hockey in 2006. Still don't see what this has to do with the rest of your post, but I guess when you get going on a rant, you really get going!

Dryden said:
GM Dryden Lewis
one pissed off individual

Apparently.

GM Douglas Emerson
one laissez-faire individual

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
My understanding is that all players will be eligable with the exception of those who played in Europe last year i.e. the Tverdoskys of this world. So, no need for concern Dryden. I know where you're coming from - exceptions to the rule apply in this exceptional year. The posts in this thread are more for interest sake than anything else.

Rob

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
So, what will happen with all these players? I still see Forsberg, Salo, Morozov, Arvedsson, Czerkawski, etc. on the rosters from Jan 23rd? Will they be allowed to play in the HFNHL or will they be moved to the prospect list, like what would have happened in the previous seasons?

If they'll be taken off the rosters, it'd be nice to get that done asap in order to make it easier to see the current rosters of the teams.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Espen Knutsen left already last season to sign with Djurgården in the SEL but he is still on my roster. Freddie B, the goalie sign in Russia in early summer and should also be removed. I have no plans to pay salaries for those two players.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
As I see it, there's no reason why we should make any changes to the way it's been done in the previous years. Keep the same deadline and remove the players that have signed on for europe without a lockout-clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad