players from 2011 draft with a shot at making the 2014 olympics

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
if the nhl allows players to go to the olympics that is...anyway the few that come to mind for me are lando, larsson, couturier, nugent hopkins, joel armia, zibanejad, jaskin, jensen

member 30781

only person I can see making it is Larsson, honestly. No one else can I don't think. Maybe Armia. Sweden's, Canada's, and the other countries forward depth is just too good.

HalbertGil*

Larsson for Sweden, Bartschi for Switzerland, Jensen for Denmark.

LINO MARTSCHINI FOR SWITZERLAND CAPTAIN 2014

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
if the nhl allows players to go to the olympics that is...anyway the few that come to mind for me are lando, larsson, couturier, nugent hopkins, joel armia, zibanejad, jaskin, jensen

I serious doubt any Canadian kid makes the 2014 team from this draft. The 2003 draft class will only turn 29 in 2014, so all of them will still be in their primes. Plus you have the likes of Stamkos, Tavares, E. Kane, Duchene, Skinner, Hall etc. There is a small chance, but I don't think it's likely.

RNH, kid needs to add strength. Don't think there is going to be enough time for him to produce in the 2.5 seasons between now and when the team has to be announced. Not to mention, the Centre position is the one with the top forward anyways for Canada.

Landeskog and Larsson definately in the running for team Sweden as they have some vets that will move along, same with Finland and other countries.

member 30781

The top European countries are WAY too deep in all areas for Jaskin to make it. I forgot about Bartschi but he has an outside shot at making the team as does Jensen

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
you don't think jaskin has a shot at the czech team?

He has, but he'd have to be at least as good as Voracek was last season (50 pts guy) which is possible. Voracek didn't make it, but situation 4 years later could be better for player like that.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Adam Larsson will have a good chance, but hopefully the competition for a spot is pretty good by then with all this new d-men coming up.

I also think Gabriel Landeskog will have a good chance to make team Sweden 2014. It´s not like Sweden have amazing forward depth and and if he plays physical and scores decently by then in NHL he will at least have a spot on the fourth line. If Per Mårts is still head coach we will have a coach that´s not afraid to bring young guys.

Zibanejad is also physical and a player type that is lacking in swedish hockey, but I mean he just started to play as a regular in SEL, he got to have a faity tale career to have a chance. He mostly play center too and I think swedish center depth could be pretty good by then (it´s allready pretty good). What speaks in his favour is that he is a right shot which is lacking from swedish hockey right now.

Last edited:

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
The top European countries are WAY too deep in all areas for Jaskin to make it. I forgot about Bartschi but he has an outside shot at making the team as does Jensen

Everything points towards Jensen being a lock for a Danish team, if - and this is a still a big if, as they've never done it before - they qualify.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
only ones with a even a shot...

Larsson for Sweden
Bartschi for Swiss
maybe Jensen for Denmark

Bartschi is a pretty save bet if he doesn't bust out totally.
Simply because Switzerland is not stocked with players of his talent calibre.

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Gregory Hofmann + Inti Pestoni > Nino Niederreiter + Sven Bartschi

Those 2 are eligible for this year draft and are better than El Nino and Bartschi.

For Switzerland: Gregory Hofmann - Inti Pestoni - Sven Bartschi are most likely to make the team in 2014.

BennyBST

Apr 16, 2007
Fairfield CT
Jensen should make Denmark. I'm rooting for Denmark to make a good name for themselves at the next olympics, I'm very impressed with the way the country is pumping out some pretty good players. They won't be bad with Nielsen, Eller, Boedker, Regin, Hansen up front. Jensen could easily be added to that mix.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
For Armia I could see it if he has developed into a decent scorer in the NHL by then. Like said though by then a lot can happen, sooooo... yeah.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I think Jensen will make it as long as Denmark qualifies for the olympics.

Larsson has a good chance, depends on the coach though. So coaches like experience over talent in short tournaments like this.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!

Both would need exceptional near and above 100 pt seasons back to back to back, to be considered

Do I even have to mention the other under 25 (what will still be at Sochi) forward corps that Canada has? ITS SICK

Lainlight

Hands down AINEC
Jun 17, 2007
Columbus, OH
Armia, not cuz hes super awesome, but more b/c finland really dont have any good fws (except the guy in minny). So he has a decent shot.
For canada - none
Sweden - none, maybe lando. People saying larsson forgets that sweden looks to be pretty stacked on the backend with guys like enström, edler hedman karlsson etc.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I disagree with people throwing Armia's name around. The guy's got talent, but he's still pretty raw, and finnish prospects have a tendency to take a longer time to develop. Most finnish prospects of the past (Ruutu, Koivu, Selänne, J.Jokinen to name a few) have taken 4 years or so after getting drafted before getting something done in the NHL. Then again all depends how long finnish older players keep on playing, we could be very shallow by 2014. Still I doubt it. Finnish players don't very often become NHL players at age 20-21

Armia, not cuz hes super awesome, but more b/c finland really dont have any good fws (except the guy in minny). So he has a decent shot.
For canada - none
Sweden - none, maybe lando. People saying larsson forgets that sweden looks to be pretty stacked on the backend with guys like enström, edler hedman karlsson etc.

It's more like finns have quite a few GOOD forwards, just that none of them are more than just GOOD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->